DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   X-Box Problem need your help! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/357144-x-box-problem-need-your-help.html)

Mok 04-06-04 07:57 PM

X-Box Problem need your help!

Hi, I have a problem maybe someone could help me out. I recently purchased a copy of EA Sports NHL 2004 from some guy on Ebay. Well anyway I get the game and put it into my system which I never had problems with before, but it could not read this disc. I checked the disc it is not a bootleg no marks or scratches. After awhile the game would play but sometimes it would freeze up. I checked with the guy who sold it to me who was no help after all it is Ebay. I was wondering if I was to burn the game to the hard drive would I be able to play it then, or is this just a lost cause.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Astro44 04-06-04 08:46 PM

I would send the game to EA Sports and see if they could mail you a replacement copy.

Trigger 04-06-04 09:09 PM

Try boiling the disc...

Bring some water to a hard boil - stick the disc in boiling water label side up - the boiling bubbles should keep it off the bottom of the pot, don't worry it won't melt - let it boil for about 2 minutes and take it out - dry with a soft cloth, but don't rub the surface.

If it still doesn't work, then try getting a replacement from EA. If it's the only disc that doesn't work in your xbox, then I don't know what else to tell you... if you start having issues with other discs, then your xbox probably needs to be repaired. It'll cost about 100 bucks if you're outside of your warranty. I had to do this.

cartman 04-06-04 09:11 PM

I have problems with EVERY EA game I've ever purchased on my X-Box. Sometimes it simply won't start, sometimes it'll crash in the middle of a game (when accessing the disc), and the FMV is ALWAYS choppy. Good thing I don't play sports games at all. I've never been able to "fix" it, either.

Mok 04-06-04 09:39 PM

Thanks for all your help & feedback guys I will try the boiling trick.
but do I keep the water boiling on the flame while I stick the disc in ? or should I shut the stove off ?

Trigger 04-06-04 10:21 PM

let it continue to boil.

Trigger 04-06-04 10:22 PM

er... might want to turn it down to like 6 or 7 after it's boiling... never tried it with a gas stove.

damn_skippy 04-06-04 10:31 PM

What does boiling the disk do? Does it just clean it?

Mok 04-06-04 11:09 PM

Cool the disc seems to working fine for now. I hope it holds up.
Thanks again.

Tarantino 04-06-04 11:16 PM

I wonder who decided to go "I wonder if I boil this DVD, if it'll stop skipping" first...

Trigger 04-07-04 12:31 AM

Probably the same guy who thought it would be a good idea to eat oysters. *shrug*

I don't know exactly what boiling does - perhaps it straightens out any waves in the physical media - like a shrinky dink. I dunno. I'm sure there's some scientific explaination on the web somewhere.

edstein 04-07-04 07:45 AM

This same guy who came up with flipping your PS1 upside down for cooling.

tenaciousdave 04-07-04 11:21 AM

Originally posted by edstein
This same guy who came up with flipping your PS1 upside down for cooling.
Nope, as I invented that maneuver (PS1) and had nothing to do with the boiling.

Mok 04-07-04 02:07 PM

oh well the disc worked for awhile back to the drawing board.
Maybe I will cook it some more what do I have to lose.

joshd2012 04-07-04 05:09 PM

Trade in your Xbox for a PS2 :D

Hey, if a similar post is relevant in PS2 discussions, I don't see why it isn't relevant here.

sniper308 04-07-04 08:23 PM

Originally posted by Tarantino
I wonder who decided to go "I wonder if I boil this DVD, if it'll stop skipping" first...
Probably Al Gore, after inventing the internet...

sniper308 04-07-04 08:23 PM

Originally posted by joshd2012

Hey, if a similar post is relevant in PS2 discussions, I don't see why it isn't relevant here.

It's not & It's not...

Swell86 04-08-04 03:18 AM

my xbox freezes up on me w/ every freakin ea game i have. it just happened 2 me earlier today after i finished a game of mvp where i hit like 6 hr so i was ticked. i have a 1st gen xbox so i'm thinkin about gettin a new 1. by the way, beating on the xbox does not make it better.

Gizmo 04-08-04 10:58 AM

Originally posted by joshd2012
Trade in your Xbox for a PS2 :D

But then you won't be able to play Blue disc games in 91 days...

xlpanda 04-08-04 02:58 PM

I have also heard that boiling the discs helps when you get a lot "dirty discs" errors. I always thought it was just to resettle the glue or finish off some heating process during the fab process. Either way, I have never tried it because I was always too scared that I would fry my disc hehe.

I sent in my xbox when it was having problems w/dirty discs errors when I was playing lots of ghost recon. MS covered the repair work under warranty (I think they just kept my old unit and sent me a refurb unit)

joshd2012 04-08-04 03:01 PM

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
But then you won't be able to play Blue disc games in 91 days...
Odd. Mine is 3 years old and still reads blue and black disc without issue. Never had to boil any disc though. :P

Falc04 04-08-04 03:28 PM

I had a problem with an EAgame freezing on my GC as well, no other game has. When I sent it back and specifically filled out the paperwork for a replacement to be sent, I got the game realc heap through a deal on this forum. They of course credited my credit card and never sent a replacement game back. I plan on staying away from EA games with what everone is experiencing.