DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Biggest Nintendo 1st party disappointment for the GameCube? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/353911-biggest-nintendo-1st-party-disappointment-gamecube.html)

smirnoffski 03-20-04 01:59 PM

Biggest Nintendo 1st party disappointment for the GameCube?

Which 1st party Nintendo GameCube game do you think was the biggest letdown/disappointment as it did not live up to your expectations?

dcswirl 03-20-04 02:13 PM

I thought 1080 was really weak. The courses were way too short, especially after playing SSX. I expected alot more after seeing how good it was on 64.

sdcrym 03-20-04 02:16 PM

Starfox Adventures wasn't really a 1st party Nintendo game, since it was developed by Rare.

Homer Simpson 03-20-04 02:46 PM

I played the first 4 and wasn't disappointed with any of them. Haven't played the last 3 so I can't really vote. Luigi's mansion is as close as I could come, and then only because it was so short. For a release game it was fine though.

The Dude 03-20-04 03:10 PM

The one that I probably had the biggest problem with was Sunshine, and that was due mainly to camera issues. In terms of the camera, it seemed like it had taken a step back from Mario 64.

smirnoffski 03-20-04 04:36 PM

Originally posted by sdcrym
Starfox Adventures wasn't really a 1st party Nintendo game, since it was developed by Rare.
Yes, but PUBLISHED by Nintendo which is what makes it a first party game.

SpacemanSpiff 03-20-04 07:33 PM

didnt really enjoy star fox adventures
didnt even finish it

Rammsteinfan 03-20-04 08:01 PM

I gave up on SMSunshine real soon. After about 3 or so levels it was boring. I just sold it on Ebay the following week. Then my gamecube was soon to follow.

Buckaroo Banzai 03-20-04 08:18 PM

I chose Other, Zelda: The WindWaker. I'm sure I'll be flamed to death for picking this title, but I just didn't really enjoy it.

I thought the graphics were quite good, the controls were too touchy, the music was ok at best, and the story was weak. That stupid boat drove me crazy.

Maybe I bought too much into the hype, building the game up before playing it. Also it may be that my love for action RPGS has diminished greatly since we were introduced to the "Wonders of 3D". (note: Sarcasm)

Ian

Michael Corvin 03-20-04 10:35 PM

Sunshine.

But the Mario Party games come in second. 5 games into the series and they still haven't been able to capture what made the first game so fun. Simple boards & mini games. Not the complete maze crap they have now with something happening on every single space on the board. And then you have the star flying all over the board, what is wrong with leaving it in the same spot? I do say they have improved in 1 area, though, skipping watching the computer play out his turn.

V-ism 03-21-04 02:39 AM

Originally posted by smirnoffski
Yes, but PUBLISHED by Nintendo which is what makes it a first party game.
By that logic that makes Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles a first party game too. I think developer is what counts as first party. But it is still correct with Star Fox since at the time, Rare belonged to Nintendo.

Josh H 03-21-04 11:09 AM

Star Fox Adventures, though that's technically a second party game.

I was mildly dissapointed with Sunshine. Playing through to beat it was great, but there's no real incentive to get all 120 Shines as so many involve randomly spraying crap to find hidden blue coins. Which is compounded by the fact that nothing happens if you do get them all.

Mezzanine 03-21-04 11:26 AM

I'd have to go with Wave Race: Blue Storm.

Goldberg74 03-21-04 12:46 PM

Wario World. Bought it when it first came out, played it, got bored with it, sold it. All in a matter of three weeks.

smirnoffski: Just an observation, you never seem to tell us which one you vote for when you post a poll? Do you have a personal opinion on this topic?

BTW, looks like smirnoffski's polls have found their way out of the Movie Forum and into this one... isn't anything sacred!? ;)

smirnoffski 03-21-04 01:06 PM

Originally posted by Goldberg74

smirnoffski: Just an observation, you never seem to tell us which one you vote for when you post a poll? Do you have a personal opinion on this topic?

I personally was disappointed by Mario Kart, very simple and absolutley no depth or incentive to keep playing.

Outlaw 03-21-04 02:42 PM

I thought of Starfox Adventures before I even opened the thread. Huge disappointment especially coming from Rare, of all developers. Incidentally it also has some of the best graphics this gen even taking PS2 and X-Box into account, but it doesn't save the game. There are a number of choices on that list that I wouldn't consider that high profile or hyped like Kirby Air Ride 1080, I haven't played those yet. But I've been happy with most of first party games like Mario Kart, Sunshine, AC, MP, ED that have gotten tons of play time, among other 2nd and 3rd party exclusives like Final Fantasy: CC and Viewtiful Joe, I wouldn't trade my Cube for anything else :).

Bluebomber 03-21-04 03:30 PM

WindWaker and Waverace both did nothing for me, Waverace wasn't deep enough, just felt too shallow and windwaker was just boring after awhile.

Chris_D 03-21-04 11:11 PM

Mariokart for me but I haven't seen much of the others on the list.

But since I liked the n64 version so much it was a big disappointment.

DriftChamp 03-25-04 08:53 AM

Originally posted by smirnoffski
I personally was disappointed by Mario Kart, very simple and absolutley no depth or incentive to keep playing.
Most disappointing for me was 1080. IMHO, I think the exact opposite about Mario Kart Double Dash. Out of the 50+ Gamecube games I own, MK: DD is my favorite. Yes, it's simple to play but to be really good, you have to know how to chain your drifts together, hit shortcuts, etc. Maybe you just didn't know how to play it right. Most people who play the game a little, think the game is all luck by which power up you get, but the gameplay ais much deeper than that. Also, the extra characters, courses, and cars were incentive enough for me to play all the way through.