31.03%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

First person shooters vs Racing games

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-04, 05:28 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First person shooters vs Racing games

Hi guys! I was wondering if any of you can give me a good explanation on which genre you prefer/enjoy and why? I love racing games though I haven't really had tons of fun playing one in a very long time(Ridge Racer V cums to mind). But I've never played an FPS before and I'm curious as to which genre you feel is more fun/exciting to play and why? Do you think if I gave an FPS a chance I would start liking them more than my beloved racers? Is the grass greener on the other side?
Old 03-15-04, 05:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
those are my 2 favorite genres... i guess i like fps better.
Old 03-15-04, 08:39 AM

It's easier for me to get into an FPS because the story is usually more involved.

Also, I think an FPS has a longer play value, b/c racing/driving can get plain boring after a while.

I'm not anti-racing eiter, I have and play both PGR2, GT3, and F-Zero GX, I just prefer the FPS.

Also, I feel the FPS is much more immersive.

But alas, my favorite game right now is neither FPS nor racing, it's Prince of Persia!!!!
Old 03-15-04, 08:44 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I like them both, with a slight edge to FPS games.

What system(s) do you have, isamu? That would help us make recommendations.
Old 03-15-04, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok, on the consoles, i love racing games. i just can't get a good handle on the gamepad controls for FPS - too imprecise.

but, i feel just the opposite on the PC. never liked racing games on the PC, but FPS isn't a problem.
Old 03-15-04, 09:01 AM

I wouldn't say one is better than the other considering how much they differ in gameplay.

Personally, I tend to play FPS games often as I find it more satisfying seeing explosions, taking on armies and wasting buttloads of ammunition. Every once in awhile I'll try a racing game but they don't really hold my interest that long, although they are challenging.

The bottonline is that it's really preference. Try out an fps game, you might enjoy it.
Old 03-15-04, 09:08 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
ok, on the consoles, i love racing games. i just can't get a good handle on the gamepad controls for FPS - too imprecise.
I'm exactly the opposite. I hate racing games because I never can quite figure out the finesse required for them. I usually end up spinning out all time, bumping into corners/other cars and losing the race
Old 03-15-04, 01:29 PM
Banned

Thanks for the replies gentlemen

For those of you who scream "APPLES AND ORANGES", since when is it wrong or strange to ask a group of people which genre they generally prefer over the other and why? Would it be so obsurd to ask a group of people what type of films they prefer...Thrillers or Comedies? What genre of music they prefer....Hip Hop or Rock and Roll? I don't get the complaints about this.
Old 03-15-04, 02:12 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I agree, you can compare any two things on the simple basis of which you enjoy more.

For me, it's tough as I'm not much of a fan of either genre. I just play the occasional racer or FPS here and there.

I'm not big on FPS as I just don't like the perspective. I like games with a lot of running around and platform jumping and these elements just can't be pulled off well in FPS's IMO. So in most FPS it seems like you're just running around doing menial tasks and shooting everything in site.

Racing games I get sick of because I get highly frustrated. Especially in games with long tracks. It sucks to race for 15 minutes, only to lose at the very end. Plus I get sick of driving in circles.
Old 03-15-04, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
I prefer FPS, but only on PC. Been playing them since Doom, and after trying Halo on Xbox, the lack of precision is annoying. Racing games are fun to pass the time, but they're not enthralling games for me. Games like Gran Turismo were incredibly boring, although arcade racers like NFS: Underground were a fun.
Old 03-15-04, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Moving to Apples and Oranges Forum.

On second thought -

Moving to Apples and Platypuses Forum.

- David Stein
Old 03-16-04, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I prefer FPS games over driving ones. A good racer can be a lot of fun, but I can go outside and drive all day long if I wanted to. Sure, that's not the same as racing, I know, but it's a simulation of an event that uses a skill set I have and familiar with. Can't say that about a FPS. Never once in my life have I ever had to go shoot demons on a mars moon colony, mutated cops in LA, or reanimated zombies anywhere.
Old 03-16-04, 10:49 AM
Banned

interesting analogy :lol
Old 03-16-04, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by isamu
For those of you who scream "APPLES AND ORANGES", since when is it wrong or strange to ask a group of people which genre they generally prefer over the other and why? I don't get the complaints about this.
Is it just me... or are you the first person to "scream apples and oranges"!?!

I much prefer FPS (on PC only) over racing games. Racing can be fun, but I can only enjoy the arcade style races... and even those get repetitive. I guess the "depth" in a racing game comes from tweaking and tuning your car... something that holds zero interest for me.

Not that FPS have any depth either... but I don't usually mind repeating stages over and over in a FPS; but I can't stand repeating multiple races just because I hit a guard rail in the last minute of the final lap!
Old 03-16-04, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

[screaming]Apples and oranges!!!![/screaming]
Old 03-16-04, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 512 Likes on 353 Posts
FPS and racing games are pretty much the only two I enjoy. Give me a coupla beers, some Crazy Taxi, and some UT99, and I'm a happy boy, hubba hubba hubba hubba hubba.
Old 03-16-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I like some FPS's, but I love racing games. I like the strategy involved in some of the more sim-like racing games like Formula 1 and Nascar games.
Old 03-16-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

No option for none of the above?