Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Battlefield Vietnam: Out 03-15-04, Anyone else picking it up?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Battlefield Vietnam: Out 03-15-04, Anyone else picking it up?

Old 03-19-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by BizRodian
A kindred spirit!

It sure was weird that this wasn't some big hyped game, and just came out of nowhere wasn't it?
I dunno - actually this game is overhyped I think... it's all I've been hearing about - maybe it's just not so high profile here at DT cuz this is more of a console gamer's forum. Joint Operations is getting alot of buzz too. The mainstream outlets have just been focused on Doom and Half-Life and Far Cry that stuff like this doesn't really make the headlines too often. Plus, this is coming out with people hyped about Unreal Tournament 2004. It's just a really good time to be a PC gamer and when BF 1942 came out, the pickins were slimmer.
Old 03-19-04, 09:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, I don't mean now. Now, I agree it's over hyped.

I was talking about BF1942 before it came out. BF1942 just appeared out of nowhere. No one covered it except for a few little previews a month before it shipped. Then it goes and gets game of the year in multiple publications and such. But I followed BF1942 for years since I was a big Codename Eagle fan. I emailed lots of gaming magazines and sites trying to get them to cover it. Gamespy was really the only one that did, because there are some Codename Eagle fans there too.
Old 03-20-04, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by tjr2mental
Well, installed it last night and played for about five hours. All I can say is man I am_suck at this game.

I think my best score was 6 kills, and 20 deaths. People were killling me from everywhere. Heck, once I caused my whole team to die when I crashed the transport chopper. Guess I should learn to fly it before having everyone with me.

Anyone have any tips that might help me be a better player in this game. When I play Wolfenstein:ET I am normally in the top two or three on a 36 player server. Same thing when playing Metal of Honor.

Argh! Oh, and for some reason my video is all choppie when I turn the settings up. My pc is considered really good by all my friends so I do not think that is the problem.

I have a xp 2100 overclocked to 2.1ghz, ATI 9800Pro, and 1 gig of ram so I would think that I would not have any problems. Guess I was wrong.

There are known issues with the 9800 Pro and BFV.

Here is a link:

http://www.fpscentral.com/forums/for...s=&forumid=251

Several threads on it.
Old 03-20-04, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

My copy shipped from Amazon last Wednesday.

Should be here Monday.

It is true Draven that you can move vehicles around by chopper.

Theres a bunch of screenies over at http://www.fpscentral.com/forums/
Old 03-21-04, 01:26 AM

Been playing for the past 2hrs... I like it, but I suck of course. A little bit buggy right now also, hopefully a patch will be out soon.
Old 03-21-04, 07:43 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I saw a bit of this game at my friends house the other day. Didn't look all that great, and I've seen posts in other message boards about tons of bugs and stuff. I think it may be wise to spend your money on UT2k4 right now, and get BF:V after like a few patches or something.
Old 03-21-04, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been playing it for 2 days now and I like it. I haven't seen any bugs and the game seems pretty well balanced.
Old 03-22-04, 11:06 AM

THIS GAME ROCKS!

MARK MY WORDS:
Almost every single mod from BF1942 will move over to Battlefield Vietnam! its exactly what it is, a suped up version of BF1942 and alot more mod friendly! I noticed the differences in the engine as soon as i picked it up, and if Desert Combat were to be ported over to BF:V or even its own customized refractor engine it will definately be GAME TO PLAY! (if it wasnt already)

PLEASE BUY THIS GAME!

and remember:
BF1942 wasnt near the game it was today withought those first couple of patches, a game of this scale always needs some final second adjustments once it gets to the real world.
Old 03-22-04, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

bought unreal2k4 and bf:v on saturday. and i had more fun on bf:v.

anyone wanna set up a game some time on bf:v????? i'm sure with all the dvdtalkers here, we could get a decent game going.
Old 03-22-04, 12:51 PM
J_J

I bought it this weekend, and have it running using my 64MB Geforce 4 440 MX 8x AGP! This card is supposedly not good enough to run it, so at first I had a problem. Then I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers dated March 15th 2004, now it works great even at 1024x768

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_56.64

Hope you all enjoy the game like me.

J_J
Old 03-22-04, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by J_J
I bought it this weekend, and have it running using my 64MB Geforce 4 440 MX 8x AGP! This card is supposedly not good enough to run it, so at first I had a problem. Then I downloaded the latest Nvidia drivers dated March 15th 2004, now it works great even at 1024x768

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winxp_2k_56.64

Hope you all enjoy the game like me.

J_J
Nvidia just had to add their magic 'tweak' to get it working!
Old 03-23-04, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Still waiting for it to arrive.

Amazon shipping

Here's hoping it comes this afternoon...I have the evening free
Old 03-25-04, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got mine from Amazon in record time! Also check my signature for a forum I run on just that game for tips on how to solve some of the most common problems.
Old 03-25-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got mine last night but wasn't able to try MP until today.

Interesting to say the least.

Much better pvp. The planes don't fly the same as BF:42 Desert Combat which is what I'm used to.

Weapons are really nice and I love the terrain and foliage.

I'll post more once I get some more trigger time
Old 03-27-04, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I played it for a couple hours yesterday. Its not really that great imo. No where near as good as 1942 or DC.