DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Xbox controller adaptor for PC (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/352232-xbox-controller-adaptor-pc.html)

nickdawgy 03-11-04 11:28 AM

Xbox controller adaptor for PC

I know there was another thread on the subject of good gamepads for the PC, and someone mentioned a PS2 adaptor, but there wasn't really talk about an Xbox one from what I could see.

Anyhow, I just picked up MVP 2004 for PC, and I wanted to use my Xbox controller to play it. EB didn't have the adaptor, just a PS2 look alike gamepad endorsed by EA Sports for $20. I heard adaptors are as cheap as $7 (my friend thinks they are, at least) so does anyone know where to get them? The EB guy says they sell for $20, so it'd be just as good to buy the gamepad.

I can't find anything on the Best Buy or Gamestop site about the adaptors. What are they called? Does anyone own one? If so, how is it? I was thinking about picking one up today, as the gamepads I have for my PC are very annoying to use. Not to mention old.

:D

PixyJunket 03-11-04 11:33 AM

I'd like that as well.. I have a PS->PC adapter, but it freezes up the damn game I bought it for. :mad:

nickdawgy 03-11-04 11:39 AM

That sucks. I wonder if there is an Xbox one out there somewhere.

PixyJunket 03-11-04 11:41 AM

I would KILL for a SNES->PC USB adapter. KILL I tell you.

Super Advantage on PC. :o

nickdawgy 03-11-04 11:46 AM

:lol:

Yeah, that'd be pretty sweet. :up:

Tsar Chasm 03-11-04 11:53 AM

There is an xbox controller adapter being hawked out there. Avoid this at all costs.

Version one will get you the adapter and no drivers
Version two will get you the adapter and drivers and a fried port on your computer.

nickdawgy 03-11-04 11:59 AM

Originally posted by Tsar Chasm
There is an xbox controller adapter being hawked out there. Avoid this at all costs.

Version one will get you the adapter and no drivers
Version two will get you the adapter and drivers and a fried port on your computer.

What is it called and where is it sold, so I can avoid it.....

Trigger 03-11-04 02:37 PM

I bought one - the port isn't fried and i had to download drivers from their website. I bought it for racing games and it doesn't seem to support them... not NFSU anyway. I tried it with Halo (kinda pointless really since the main reason to buy halo on pc is to play with mouse/keyboard) and it was plenty responsive and worked just like the console version except it was a pain to map the buttons. I wish someone provided better drivers and software. I can't say how it works on sports titles. I would advise against it because I pretty much don't use it and it doesn't really work very well. I think I'm going to go ahead and buy a good PC controller.

nickdawgy 03-11-04 02:44 PM

I am kind of agreeing with you, Trigger. Both gamepads I have now (Gravis eliminator pro, and some cheapie bargain bin controller) aren't supported by MVP 2004. Fortunately I found one that is (Logitech something or other) for $20 at Best Buy. As far as I know, the gamer coupon should work on this (it's a video game accessory, right?) and I have a $5 rewards zone coupon. So $10 for a gamepad is sweet :up:

Of course the secret police (Best Buy employees) will probably say the gamepad isn't a video game accessory despite the fact that it is used to play video games :lol:

Trigger 03-11-04 03:35 PM

I think I'm gonna pick up Logitecs wireless version and maybe the gravis wireless one too.

What else could you use a game controller for?? MS Word?

nickdawgy 03-11-04 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Trigger
I think I'm gonna pick up Logitecs wireless version and maybe the gravis wireless one too.

What else could you use a game controller for?? MS Word?

:lol:

I am guessing they will say a PC game is not a video game. I can counter with I have used the gamer coupon on PC games before, and they'll probably say that wasn't supposed to happen. After all, Best Buy strives to prove the customer wrong.

khai 03-11-04 04:44 PM

Talking about these things?

http://levelsix.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=8

I've got me this thing.

http://levelsix.com/detail.aspx?ID=97

It was mentioned in another thread. You just hook up your XBOX controller to it and get the drivers. Play away. It also doubles as an ActionReplay Game Save device if you download the ActionReplay software.

no_creativity 03-12-04 05:20 PM

I got a super joybox off of ebay. I had to get the drivers off the floppy that came with it, but it works fine and hasn't fried anything...

SpacemanSpiff 03-14-04 10:37 PM

is there one for gamecube

i would probably pick that up

mrmagoo 03-14-04 10:55 PM

Originally posted by khai
Talking about these things?

http://levelsix.com/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=8

I've got me this thing.

http://levelsix.com/detail.aspx?ID=97

It was mentioned in another thread. You just hook up your XBOX controller to it and get the drivers. Play away. It also doubles as an ActionReplay Game Save device if you download the ActionReplay software.

Looks good to me, I think I may just get this.

Btw, NICKDAWGY I had heard (NOT seen with my own eyes) that the adapter you are asking about exists at Radio Shack.

Ginsu 03-15-04 01:15 AM

I have the Radio Shack PS@ to PC adapter and MVP doea not like it either. Logitech rumble pad works fine though.

You can splice a male USB end onto you Xbox plug and find drivers for it online, Easy and works fine. Have not tried it in MVP yet though.

sdcrym 03-15-04 02:32 AM

It'd be cool if you could find or make something that connected the breakaway plug to a USB plug. With that, you could switch between using your controller on the PC and the XBOX easily

Trigger 03-15-04 04:44 AM

that's what's being sold for 10 bucks... it's what we've been talking about.

isamu 03-15-04 05:43 AM

Help! PS2>XB adaptor that recognizes Negcon pad?

Can somebody PLEASE tell me if there is a PS2 to Xbox adaptor/coverter that will recognize and allow my NeGcon to work on my Xbox...*specifically* in PGR2? I have seen a whole bunch of adaptors that allow PS2 pads to be used with the Xbox but which one of these will recognize a Namco NeGcon controller? I swear I would actually consider re-buying PGR2 again if I could play it with a NeGcon!

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

jrobinson 03-15-04 06:34 AM

Re: Help! PS2>XB adaptor that recognizes Negcon pad?

Originally posted by isamu
Can somebody PLEASE tell me if there is a PS2 to Xbox adaptor/coverter that will recognize and allow my NeGcon to work on my Xbox...*specifically* in PGR2? I have seen a whole bunch of adaptors that allow PS2 pads to be used with the Xbox but which one of these will recognize a Namco NeGcon controller? I swear I would actually consider re-buying PGR2 again if I could play it with a NeGcon!

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

ebay?