Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

How "clean" are pre-played PS2 system at EB?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-04, 04:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm just curious. When you take one in and sell it, they say they pack it up and ship it for "cleaning".

Well...when you buy one from the store that's preplayed...how clean are the systems/controllers? Are they all strached up, have crude in the controllers, or dust everywhere?

Just curious.

Thanks!!
Old 03-10-04, 05:14 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
It varys. Inspect the system after purchasing it, it is only wrapped in a box.
Old 03-10-04, 05:21 PM

I'm guessing they dont clean it. Prob just test it.
Old 03-10-04, 05:25 PM
Suspended

Again, it varys. Just crack open the box and inspect it.
Old 03-10-04, 06:10 PM

Yeah I dont think theyd like me opening up all their taped boxes... =p
Old 03-10-04, 07:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I don't think they should mind. I mean you are the customer and you want a product that is worth your money and what you actually want.

Systems I have looked at there were disgustingly dirty. (had to wash my hands when I got home) But I am sure you could find one from a clean home. Good deals to be had if you can. Isn't the Gamecube like $60 now?
Old 03-10-04, 11:36 PM

I bought a preowned PS2 a year ago from EB,a nd it's still working fine :crosses fingers:

Like the other guys said, ask to check the system out before buying it. I don't think they'd have a problem with that.
Old 03-11-04, 05:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: How "clean" are pre-played PS2 system at EB?

Originally posted by Masamune
I'm just curious. When you take one in and sell it, they say they pack it up and ship it for "cleaning".

Well...when you buy one from the store that's preplayed...how clean are the systems/controllers? Are they all strached up, have crude in the controllers, or dust everywhere?

Just curious.

Thanks!!
My concern would be more like how used are they??? Why in the heck would anyone pay $150.00 or so for a system that could have been one of the original systems released on day one? Not worth it.....if they were around $100.00....maybe. Wait until after E3 to see if an expected price drop happens or not.
Old 03-11-04, 08:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
I think if I had to buy one NOW I would buy a REFURBISHED system before I would buy a pre-played.

Aren't refurbs given an in depth "once over" at the factory where pre-played are just tested at the store to see if they still play?

Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Old 03-11-04, 09:28 AM

I obviously can't speak for all the units the sell, but the refurb I picked up from them over a year ago was in very good shape. No dust or crud, no significant scratches.
Old 03-11-04, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Calico
I obviously can't speak for all the units the sell, but the refurb I picked up from them over a year ago was in very good shape. No dust or crud, no significant scratches.
I contacted ebgames via email and confirmed these are not refurbed units but used systems. I was thinking about purchasing a refurbed PS2 and wanted them to verify these were actual returns that had been fixed by Sony and not used units. They responded back stating they only sell pre-played systems.
Old 03-11-04, 08:04 PM
ME2

Just tell them you want a clean one, I work at an EB and as long as we're not very busy I'm fine with doing that. Also just ask to look at the system for a minute when they bring it up. Many of the ones my store gets are pretty clean and redone. The thing about it is, the people who repair these systems have their name to it. So if it doesn't work and they have a history of not fixing systems they'll be fired.
Just something to know.
Old 03-11-04, 09:08 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I think if I had to buy one NOW I would buy a REFURBISHED system before I would buy a pre-played.

Aren't refurbs given an in depth "once over" at the factory where pre-played are just tested at the store to see if they still play?

Please correct me if I'm wrong...
Your actually wrong. You would THINK Refurbs are great, but I have had nothing but trouble with them at my store (for all systesm). Are used systems are tested AS SOON AS WE BUY THEM, and again when we sell them. That means used has been checked BY US. Refurbs are usually just sent back to the company, where the run a program to make sure it reads the disk. Other then that, nothing is done. Alot of the refurbs I have seen are in horriable condition (cracked, marked etc). I STRONGLY suggest a USED (as they are under guarantee for longer, rather then refurbs since they are considered 'new' product.
Old 03-11-04, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,805 Likes on 1,127 Posts
Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Your actually wrong. You would THINK Refurbs are great, but I have had nothing but trouble with them at my store (for all systesm). Are used systems are tested AS SOON AS WE BUY THEM, and again when we sell them. That means used has been checked BY US. Refurbs are usually just sent back to the company, where the run a program to make sure it reads the disk. Other then that, nothing is done. Alot of the refurbs I have seen are in horriable condition (cracked, marked etc). I STRONGLY suggest a USED (as they are under guarantee for longer, rather then refurbs since they are considered 'new' product.
Thanks for the heads up.

I guess refurb means shit in the gaming industry.
Old 03-11-04, 11:58 PM

I sold my barely functioning PS2 to EB awhile ago; the system was dying fast (the disc read errors were becoming very frequent). They didn't even bother to turn it on; they just gave me a store credit and that was it. I don't know if anyone else besides store personel has anything to do with checking them before they are resold, but I know that if the only ones that are checking it are the store employees, you might want to avoid buying from them.
Old 03-12-04, 07:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by pOpus
I sold my barely functioning PS2 to EB awhile ago; the system was dying fast (the disc read errors were becoming very frequent). They didn't even bother to turn it on; they just gave me a store credit and that was it. I don't know if anyone else besides store personel has anything to do with checking them before they are resold, but I know that if the only ones that are checking it are the store employees, you might want to avoid buying from them.
To be fair, they've always said they buy non-functioning PS2s (and even advertised such). I sold a broken PS2 to them last August ... and I told them it didn't work. They gave me the credit.

FWIW, I used that credit to pick up a used PS2. That one broke in October. Returned it (thanks to the warranty), picked up a second, which has worked fine since.
Old 03-16-04, 09:06 PM

They are good and if you ask for one that has not been out that long like the ones that just came out withen the last year, That read DVD r's and have the build in IFRed for the new remotes ,ect
thay can check the number on the back for you, It should start with PX then the number and if they don't have one yet just keep checking they get them in one to 3 times a week
Old 03-17-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
At the EB I work at, we make sure we inspect every system before taking it back. Usually for PS2 systems we try a blue and silver disc, because some PS2's have trouble with one or the other.

Of course, I can't speak for the other 1,000 EB stores, but I would be pretty embarrassed if a customer returned a pre-played PS2 system I sold him, which is why we simply send back all the defective systems.

As for them being dirty, we can easily clean them for you