Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

What will be the BEST baseball game this year???

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-04, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm looking to buy a baseball game for the XBOX this year.

I'm torn between MVP BAseball and ESPN Baseball.

ESPN = Online
MVP seems to have a deeper franchise mode.

Which one is supposed to have better gameplay?
Old 03-07-04, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm in the same boat you are, DJ. I'm waiting to read a variety of reviews on both titles before I decide.

I found last year's World Series Baseball 2K3 to be one of the best baseball games I've played in a long time, so I'm looking really forward to seeing how ESPN Baseball 2K4 turns out.

At the same time, MVP Baseball 2004 looks like it has some amazing features. I read the review over at IGN, and they were very positive about it. I liked hearing about the wide variety of hit types, little things like pitches in the dirt, and even placement of an outfielder catching a fly--such as backing up so you can move forward, catch the ball, and throw it with forward momentum. Sounds sweet.

Probably can't go wrong with either one, but again, I want to see what more reviewers think first.
Old 03-07-04, 08:31 PM

Anybody following the previews, interviews, videos, etc, in recent months should in no way have dismissed All-Star Baseball 2005 nor {GASP!} MLB 2005. (This may be 989's best game since GameDay '98!!)

There are four quality efforts in contention at this point. I can't remember any other impending season where it wasn't obvious which competitors could obviously be dismissed.

-------------------------

(The only obvious thing about any of the four is that Sega's/Visual Concepts' order to Blue Shift to include the First-Person Camera and Action Camera in ESPN was a clear waste of programming resources.

Feel free to take a look here at the Action Cam here... http://www.gametrailers.com/gt_vault...actioncam.html

It takes first place in the 'most laughable thing I've seen in a sports game in years' category... just eking out the victory over the First Person pitching in the same game. )
Old 03-07-04, 08:47 PM

Originally posted by DavePack
Probably can't go wrong with either one, but again, I want to see what more reviewers think first.
Reading this was the equivalent of fingernails on the blackboard.

After so many years of total incompetence in the genre, I've come to the conclusion that game reviewers cannot review baseball games.

You've got a sport designed to be played 162 times per season, thus the games should capture enough nuances to remain fresh from Game 30 on.

Then you typically have three or four competitors releasing in the same month, and all need to be reviewed by the same deadline. (And to make things worse, some mags/sites try to provide consistency by having the same person do every one.)

The end result is that I'd imagine a game was lucky if it was played 10 times prior to the writeup. So not only are the reviews largely initial impressions, they're filled with factual mistakes.

(For example, it's amazing the number of "professional" reviewers who complained of unresponsiveness in ASB when throwing a ball. It's clear that the whole time they played, they were unaware of the concept of Future Throw... press the corresponding base button just before the fielder gloves it.)

And to top it off, there's a general cluelessness about the sport in an alarming number of baseball game reviews. Quite a few (teamxbox last year had one I clearly remember... it's since been edited) have commented on the look or movement of the referees!

Bottom line: if there's one category of games where reviews should be completely ignored, it's baseball games.
Old 03-07-04, 10:44 PM

Baseball is the only sport that cannot seem to make it's way onto the next gen consoles... The last good baseball game I remember playing quite a bit was RBI Baseball on the NES.
Old 03-08-04, 03:58 AM

I just wish High Heat was coming out. I was excited when MS got the game from 3DO, now I'm worried they might mess with the great gameplay the series is known for. I'd be satisfied with just a rehash of last years game with an update in the graphics department. I thought MS would be able to do that rather quickly, but the fact they aren't coming out with one this year worries me.
Old 03-08-04, 05:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally posted by DLogic
Baseball is the only sport that cannot seem to make it's way onto the next gen consoles... The last good baseball game I remember playing quite a bit was RBI Baseball on the NES.
You must have been asleep the past few years then.
Old 03-08-04, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I am looking for ward to ESPN Baseball. I will be buying the Xbox version. As for MVP, it looks great also this year. I'll pick up the PC version.

Old 03-08-04, 07:17 AM

Originally posted by mr.snowmizer
Reading this was the equivalent of fingernails on the blackboard.
I understand where you're coming from, but to each his own.

I felt the IGN review did a pretty good job of reviewing MVP Baseball 2004; that is, the reviewer seemed to have a better-than-average knowledge of baseball than a reviewer usually seems to have. And if I don't get that feeling from an interview, I just discount it. It's not like I'm gonna read "hey it rulez 5 stars out of 5!" and think, "Gee, there's a glowing review--maybe I should buy it!"

In the end, if it seems to close to call for me, I'll probably go with ESPN Baseball mainly because I enjoyed last year's title so much.
Old 03-08-04, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i pre-ordered mvp baseball for the pc..should be here any day!
Old 03-08-04, 11:12 AM

MVP

MVP for PS2 is online.

The pitcher/batter interface from last years MVP convinced me to like MVP over last years ESPN/WSB.

ESPN doesn't come out til end of March, so I'm picking up MVP tomorrow and playing it a few weeks will help me decide to keep it or go with ESPN in the end.

Right now based on reviews and hype, MVP is standing out head and shoulders above ESPN. I only hope the online play for MVP on the PS2 is as good as NCAA College football is.
Old 03-08-04, 11:43 AM
Retired

I'm waiting for both to come out to get reviews and user impressions of them to decide which to get. Franchise modes and online play are not a factor for me, so it will come down to sheer gameplay (mainly which has the best batting/pitching interface).
Old 03-08-04, 11:56 AM

I'm definitely picking up MVP for PS2 tomorrow...well, I hope one of the stores near me will have it anyway.

I really like all of the new features they added in this year plus they tweaked the gameplay to make it even more fun.

But the thing I really like is how they have all of the real minor league teams in the game. I'm going to download a sharkport roster file so I can do a franchise with all of the real minor league players in their respective systems.
Old 03-08-04, 12:17 PM
Retired

Heads up to those who drink Coke. The 20 ounce bottles have codes for ESPN games. Enter 10 at www.espnvideogames.com and you get a certificate for $10 off any ESPN game, including the new baseball one when it's out.

Not a deal if you don't already by a good bit of 20 oz. bottles of Coke as you'll spend almost $10 on them, but a good deal for those already buying the Coke anyway.
Old 03-08-04, 12:27 PM

I'm going to copy-and-paste a post by lnin0 in a baseball game thread found at teamxbox's forums (it's true... an actual quality post popped up there ). It's obvious he's been following all the preview materials that can be found this year.

Although I disagree with a couple of his educated guesses, it's still the best roundup I've seen on the three upcoming Xbox games...

Here is my guess as to what to expect this season.

MVP
+best pitcher interface
+best outfield throwing interface
+playable AA and AAA leagues
+best crowds
+pip baserunning control
- to easy to bat / unrealistic hit totals
- sporadic ai
- ugly player models
- team chemistry meter

ESPN
+best online (due to experience and built in anti-cheat controls)
+most refined and well rounded gameplay
+best use of the Xbox graphic power
+best overall sound
+/- features find a middle ground and always play it safe
- poorly implemented, useless first person / 3rd person modes
- ugly faces
- confidence meter

ASB
+best stadiums
+best expansion and franchise modes
+best implementation : 'fielding cam'
+best dlc roster support
+most pitching/batting deliveries/stances
+best commentary
+custom closer / batter music
+best homerun celebrations
- squat animation
- hit variation
- crowd reaction
- no slider adjustments

Best on Field Innovation
ASB - fielder cam

Most useless on Field Innovation
ESPN - first person baseball

Best Off Field Innovation
MVP - minor league play ( I put this under off-field because playing the minors is for the most part the same game, which in itself isn't an innovation, but the depth it adds to the off-field franchise mode is. )

Worst Off Field Innovation
MVP - team chemistry will prove to be pointless

Best Game for Pitchers
MVP

Best Game for Batters
ESPN

Best Game for Fielders
ASB

Best Game for Simmers
ASB

Best Game for Non-Fans
MVP

Best Game for Graphic Friendly Women
ESPN

Best Game for Action Gamers
MVP

Best Game for Mogals
ASB

Most Fun to Pick Up and Play
MVP

Most Realistic Overall Experience
ASB

Most Well Rounded Game
ESPN
Old 03-08-04, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm going to jump on MVP for PS2. The pitching interface is the key for me. Plus, they've apparently made players' attributes editable, so there'll be fewer limitations on relievers going into the rotation, rookies being underrated, or players being punished for a down year. Plus AA and AAA teams and games are a big plus. On the negative side, I'd rather see a true HR derby than (or in addition to) MVP's "showdown" games. But since I'll only buy one this year, the features in MVP are more what I'm looking for.

I'll give ESPN a rent primarily because of how much I like their NFL entry. I'll wait for impressions on the other two before trying them out.
Old 03-08-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I think that Smallball is the best baseball game out there.
Old 03-08-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Heads up to those who drink Coke. The 20 ounce bottles have codes for ESPN games. Enter 10 at www.espnvideogames.com and you get a certificate for $10 off any ESPN game, including the new baseball one when it's out.

Not a deal if you don't already by a good bit of 20 oz. bottles of Coke as you'll spend almost $10 on them, but a good deal for those already buying the Coke anyway.
The main site is www.cokesports.com

The codes can be used for up to $10 on any ESPN game (Hockey, basketball, football, and college hoops now, baseball in May, football 2005 in sept., hockey 2005 in oct, basketball 2005 in nov)
Old 03-08-04, 04:40 PM

I like homerun derby's a lot...I really like the baseball games on Sega Saturn..99 and 00..very very very fun..

this year I might actually get a baseball game....i stopped after sega saturn...so maybe...
Old 03-08-04, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Baseball Stars remains as the best baseball game ever.

I think I might pick up ESPN this year, although ASB is tempting as well...

MVP is out of the question, because of it's non-online status.
Old 03-08-04, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Tarantino

I think I might pick up ESPN this year, although ASB is tempting as well...

MVP is out of the question, because of it's non-online status.
MVP is online for the PS2
Old 03-08-04, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Tarantino

Truer words were never spoke.
Old 03-09-04, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

MVP Baseball 2004 is what im picking up, last year's version was a great improvment over the Triple Play series. Looking forward to seeing what they improved upon this year.
Old 03-09-04, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nickdawgy
MVP is online for the PS2
Maybe he has an Xbox?
Old 03-09-04, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by the aftermath
Maybe he has an Xbox?
Maybe he has a PS2?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.