Reload this Page >

projection TV's and video games....

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 03-05-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've recently purchased a large screen HDTV. Its a 65" mitsubishi rear projection TV. I know I've read not to leave the same image on the screen for too long or it will "burn" it into the screen. Is that a fact? has that ever happened to anyone or anyone you know? I just bought jedi academy and it has the ammo on the bottom right and health/sheild on the bottom left that are very stationary images. Am I at risk here of those two guages permanently burning into my screen? if so, how long is the longest I should risk playing before shutting it off so as to not damage the screen? or am I just being paranoid? ugh...
Old 03-05-04, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'll quote myself from a previous thread... (god, I'm getting lazy)

The only real problem that occurs is when you have a static image on-screen for hours and hours at a time - such as a power metre, health bar, mini-map etc...

This could possibly "burn-in" to your screen if left sitting for long periods of time - as will logos from TV stations...

However, I've played video games on my projection set and never had any problem with it - I know it always tells you not to play video games on a projection set (usually in your video game manual) - but I think it's just scare tactics so you don't sue them if you screw up your tv set by playing Pac-Man for a week solid and find the maze doesn't dissapear when you turn off your set...
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=302603
Old 03-05-04, 10:09 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

if can happen, will it most likely not, just calibrate your tv and you will be fine, I have played the same game for more than 8 hours on mulitple occasions with no sign of burn in, or if you change the game every few hours you will have no risk of burn in
Old 03-05-04, 10:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Make sure to lower the contrast on your gaming input and you'll minimize the risk greatly. Correct calibration is really recomended. No burn in on either of my current RPTV's. I also rotate game and dvd watching. I've had these sets for at least 3 years.

I did get burn-in on my first RPTV in 1998 before I learned RPTV basics and left it in torch mode for the first year I owned it
Old 03-05-04, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cubanx
and left it in torch mode for the first year I owned it

Are you referring to the "they all go to 11", crank the brightness, standard Circuit City showroom display setting?
Old 03-06-04, 06:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't had a problem with my rptv and i often leave games on the pause screen... I don't think i ever have for more than an hour, but I have. I don't worry about it - I wanna use my tv for what I wanna use it for, if it breaks I'll buy another one - screw it.

I had an rptv question, guess I'll stick it here... do any light guns work with rptvs? if not, why not? if so, which ones do? I wanna play House of the Dead on a 65" tv. Am I outta luck?
Old 03-06-04, 10:08 AM

I don't think you need to worry about burn-in. Just follow the simple rules posted above:

1. Lower your brightness and contrast settings. I changed my Toshiba to movie mode and the brightness and contrast were lowered drastically.

2. If you need to pause the game and leave...just turn the tv off. I've left games paused for hours and simply turning the tv off solves any burn-in problems you might have had.
Old 03-06-04, 10:28 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trigger
I had an rptv question, guess I'll stick it here... do any light guns work with rptvs? if not, why not? if so, which ones do? I wanna play House of the Dead on a 65" tv. Am I outta luck?
I'd love to play light gun games too... but from what I've heard... there are no light guns that work with RPTV's.

I think the problem is due to the technology. Don't light gun games work by shooting out the light and having it bounce off the TV back to the gun? That was always my impression at least, so I guess this wouldn't work for RPTV's as the image is simply a reflection, or a projection rather, of the actual image which is positioned at another angle inside the set.

On the other hand, this is just my opinion man, I have no idea how accurate the above statement is.
Old 03-07-04, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I can verify both that
LIGHT GUNS are a no go with RPTVs (at least my DC won't work)
like everyone else stated just play a selection of games that you "rotate" through and throw a DVD in once in awhile and you should be fine
in other words
short attention span=healthy for RPTV
Old 03-07-04, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I've read other places that say it will work and that HD rptvs are LCDs or some such projected and reflected. It's like nobody seems to know for sure either way. I guess I'd just have to buy a light gun and try it out. I have a 27" I could use it on if it won't work on my 65"
Old 03-08-04, 12:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Get a the DVE (Digital Video Essentials) calibration disc, set it up, and you're good to go!
Old 03-08-04, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The Avia calibration disc is good too. I've played hundreds of hours on my HDTV with no sign of burn in.

As long as it's properly calibrated, you've probably got nothing to worry about.
Old 03-08-04, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

haven't taken time to see if I can configure each input individually (hope I can.. mitsubishi ws-65611)...

suppose the next step is to buy a calibration disc...? that DVE one is $19 from amazon and the avia $37. Since I'm a cheap bastard I suppose I'll go with the DVE one Anyone have an old one they wanna sell or loan me?

and thank you all for the replies and help!

/me heads over to mIRC....