Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes Best Deal?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes Best Deal?

Old 03-15-04, 02:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What's the difference between 'easy' and 'normal'? I started in normal but I switched to easy until I get the hang of things. So far I don't see any difference in the number of guards. Are they less persistent in easy maybe?
I would think that the AI is dumbed down just a bit. I noticed on normal that the guards tend to hear your presence alot quicker because of the sound of your footsteps. Is it me or did they go a little overboard on the uber-melee on the guards when you're spotted? Is it put there just so you learn not to get spotted so easily?

I'm playing the PC version of MGS at the same time to compare and I feel handicapped because I can't do all the things in Twin Snakes.
Any way to grab a screenshot for me to see? I've always wondered how this version looked compared to the PSX version.
Old 03-15-04, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I need some serious help with this game. I'm not sure how I made it through MGS2. Every room is the same thing: I have to stick my nose out to see what's going on. When I do, I get spotted and at that point, I might as well just let 'em shoot me. The radar doesn't seem to have a long enough range to do me much good. I've heard "SNAKE? SNAKE!?? SNAAAAAAKE!!!" way too many times.

What am I doing wrong? I'm in the tank depot at the beginning of the game. I can't sneak up on anyone. I get close and they're suddenly alerted. I'm either standing still or sprinting through them, the lack of analog control is frustrating. If I do get behind a guard, I can't seem to get the position right to get him in the strangle hold.

Is the game just a matter of exploring a bit, get caught, repeat, explore a bit more, get caught, etc.?
Old 03-15-04, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think I remember how I got through MGS2: shoot a lot of guards with the M9. For some reason, I have it my head that this is the cheesy way to play, so I go around trying to knock the guards out and drag them to the shadows. Shooting them with the M9 works, so I'll stick to that.

Just over an hour in and the story is getting good. They make movies about Resident Evil and House of the Dead but not this?
Old 03-15-04, 09:58 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The AI has been upped significantly. I had trouble getting past the first room too and I played the original so don't feel bad .

Anyway tips about choking guards, if you are running at the guards (holding the analog stick all the way down), they will hear you coming up behind them. Push the stick slightly so snake walks at half speed and then make sure you're standing still when you press A to choke them. If you are running and then push A you'll flip them over and then they'll get back up and shoot you (if this happens knock them out by punching and kicking them until they stay down for awhile).

You can also shoot the guard's radios by their waist so they won't be able to radio in for help. Of course any loud gunshot will alert the guards immediately. If you are spotted you should try to knock them out before they have time to grab their radio.

But the M9 works well too . There are tons of different ways to get past the guards, try experimenting and see which one works best for you.
Old 03-15-04, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I used the M9 tons of times throughout the game. It's almost as bad as in the first game when you could pick off all the guards with the PSG-1.
Old 03-15-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I'm doing my best to Not pick it up because I will know my addiction for it will have no end.

Hell, I beat the original when it first hit the import market with out a shred of understanding the language. This is a drug I know I will fiend.
I should have done the same. I haven't played games for almost a year, but I'm hooked on this game like the previous two. So many dog tags, so many ways on torturing Meryl and the guards. It's a lot of fun and the cut scenes are great and make Snake look like a bigger bad ass than before. Hopefully my grades won't suffer too much as a result
Old 03-15-04, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I miss the mullet
Old 03-16-04, 02:56 AM

Originally posted by Phuzbox
I miss the mullet
Ive said it before, Metal Gear just isnt the same without Snakes mullet
Old 03-16-04, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PC Metal Gear Solid 1

The character models look the same but the environments look almost as good as Twin Snakes.
Old 03-18-04, 11:18 PM

This was my first time playing through MGS and I'm blown away. I finished the game today and I'll start over tomorrow. I only got a couple of dog-tags and I want to unlock some schtuff. I'm very appreciative to Nintendo/Silicon Knights/Konami for giving me the opportunity to experience it. Damn that was a cool game.
Old 03-19-04, 04:39 AM

thanks Doug
Old 03-19-04, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I decided to rent this because I've already beaten it on the PS1 multiple times... and I'm broke. I just wanted to check out how it looked with the graphical update, and see if there were changes to the game. After almost beating it yesterday, I'm pretty disappointed. $6.45 for a rental (damn Hollywood Video is expensive) that I could've beat in the first day if I wanted to. They really didn't change the gameplay at all. It's been a long time since I've played the original, but I still knew where to go and what to do. I was hoping it was going to be more like the Resident Evil remake, where they at least added new areas and stuff. It's also been awhile since I've played MGS2, but to me the graphics of Twin Snakes aren't as good.

Overall, it's still a damn good game, but I guess my expectations were too high for the Gamecube "upgrade." It just seems like a pretty port to me.