Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes Best Deal?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Metal Gear Solid: Twin Snakes Best Deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-04, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I picked it up at Best Buy with the $5 gamers coupon.
$34.99 with a free memory card (which I desperately needed) was a no brainer.
I'm at work so I haven't played it yet.
Hoping for 16x9 480p but doubt it (it is 480p though).

Doug
Old 03-11-04, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
$27.99 at Fry's
Old 03-11-04, 05:01 PM

I've been playing all afternoon on my Sony 46" widescreen in progressive scan and the game looks rad. The further I progress the more I'm enjoying the remade cutscenes. I really needed something new after playing Final Fantasy for weeks straight and I'm glad a Metal Gear title was the killer. Try it...it's seriously worth it.
Old 03-11-04, 05:13 PM

Wow, I haven't heard anybody use the word rad in a LOOOOOOONG time. I'll prob go pick this up tonight at Fry's.
Old 03-12-04, 01:40 AM

Yeah the game is insanely fun, no matter how much you pay for it. I am having a blast, its a little strange getting used to not having pressure sensitive buttons but its all good
Old 03-12-04, 04:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I hate it.

I had problems with MGS the first time i played it. I did enjoy the game a great deal, but i only enjoyed it the first time through - it's too long for a movie (about 10 hours if you watch every single cinema and codec), but there's scarcely little gameplay (about 2.5 hours worth). The constant backtracking was a major annoyance, especially at the very end. Some of the gameplay was just waaay too esoteric, and without the help of the codec i couldn't have finished the game. Something insightful from 1up's review that i found to be astonishingly true is that the gameplay from MGS2 that was grafted onto the game doesn't really fit too well...for one, the environments and enemy patterns are too difficult to sneak around at times...hanging off ledges is completely useless, as is trying to shoot out security cams...the bosses are much, much easier now that you can aim in first-person...

Lastly, there hasn't been anything significant added to the game. Given the amount of people that played and enjoyed it the first time around, i'm really surprised this game got made at all. Only fans of MGS should buy it...and if anything, it shows just how flawed a game it is if it relies solely on the novelty of a few new moves that you never really need and prettier graphics to attract a new audience.
Old 03-12-04, 06:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Superboy: What about people who never played the original? Worth it or skip it?
Old 03-12-04, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
Sorry - Fry's ad was a typo - it's actually $29.99 there.
Old 03-12-04, 10:31 AM

I've played the old NES Metal Gear but never the PS1. I messed around with the ZOE demo for MGS2 but never played the full game. I'm hella glad Twin Snakes got made for GCN. Even though some of the "twists" have been spoiled for me I'm having a blast-and the new cut-scenes are VERY well done. As for new abilities, the diving somersault and hiding in lockers helped me out a few times. Maybe hanging from ledges isn't practical but I've used it escaping from guards. I'm glad Konami/Silicon Knights/Nintendo got to make this game. I'm hooked. Is Substance on Xbox any good?
Old 03-12-04, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally posted by Gromit
Superboy: What about people who never played the original? Worth it or skip it?
I'd wager that if you never played the first one (the PS version I am assuming you are talking about) you need to play this version. The first MGS is one of the best games of the 90's, IMO.

If you have never played the original NES Metal gear, then you really, really need to play it
Old 03-12-04, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm getting it. The only one I've played is MGS2: Sons of Liberty.
Old 03-12-04, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm getting it. The only one I've played is MGS2: Sons of Liberty.
Then you're in for a treat. MGS was alot better then MGS2
Old 03-12-04, 09:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked it up after dinner tonight. I'm determined not to open it until I finish Champions of Norrath. That could be tonight though...
Old 03-13-04, 06:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I can't wait for Metal Gear Solid: Trouser Snake.
Old 03-13-04, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm doing my best to Not pick it up because I will know my addiction for it will have no end.

Hell, I beat the original when it first hit the import market with out a shred of understanding the language. This is a drug I know I will fiend.
Old 03-13-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by PixyJunket
I can't wait for Metal Gear Solid: Trouser Snake.
Yeah, people in Japan get all the good games....
Old 03-13-04, 10:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Brings new meaning to Snake eater..
Old 03-13-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Geez, I can't even get past the first room. Running around boxes avoiding "cones of vision" seems like a game of chance but I'm sure there's a pattern.

I remember that MGS2 on easy mode was kind of pointless though, so I guess I'll stick with it until I figure it out.
Old 03-14-04, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Geez, I can't even get past the first room. Running around boxes avoiding "cones of vision" seems like a game of chance but I'm sure there's a pattern.

I remember that MGS2 on easy mode was kind of pointless though, so I guess I'll stick with it until I figure it out.
Try to distract the guards with the knocking on the wall trick.
Old 03-14-04, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by nickdawgy
Then you're in for a treat. MGS was alot better then MGS2
It's comments like that which make me question how strong nostalgia is in determining the worth of a game. I for one didn't completely fall in love with MGS nor did i absolutely despise MGS2. I can understand why people wouldn't like MGS2 though *cough*fanboys*cough*.
Old 03-14-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Superboy
It's comments like that which make me question how strong nostalgia is in determining the worth of a game. I for one didn't completely fall in love with MGS nor did i absolutely despise MGS2. I can understand why people wouldn't like MGS2 though *cough*fanboys*cough*.
I loved MGS2. MGS was better, but MGS2 was a great game.
Old 03-14-04, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by nickdawgy
I loved MGS2. MGS was better, but MGS2 was a great game.
I for one was not taken aback by the whole
Spoiler:
Raiden
aspect of the game. In fact, it was pretty cool.
Old 03-15-04, 02:37 AM

Bought the game Friday...

Beat the game in 6hrs. It's not a it's short game, but for those that have beaten the Playstation version at least once, you'll know what to do. I thought Silicon Knights & Konami did a damn fine job on the cinematics, the graphic upgrade, & load times. Not to mention the AI upgrade. WOW... Made the game alot more interesting. The cinematics have added flavor to them and gives it a little more replay value. I'd certainly like to try a speed run on this.

I didn't seem to have the difficulty getting used to the controls some other people did but I seriously need a better TV (mine's got a problem with brightness) for the dark parts of the game. But Dolby Pro Logic 1/2 is definetly worth it for the game.

It's on my must own list.
Old 03-15-04, 07:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It will definately take me longer than 6 hours. The controls are bothering me a little bit. I'm hiding behind a corner, waiting for a guard to face the other direction. I sneak up behind him with the intent of grabbing him in a strangle hold. Most of the time though, I hit 'A' and don't get the grab. Instead he realizes what's going on and it's all downhill from there.

I've made it past the opening room and past the heliport area. But I can't go on until I do those rooms "better". Both were a bit ugly in terms of being detected and not getting the goodies that are lying around. The fact that I've spent at least an hour on those two areas (which would take someone who knows the game about 2 minutes) tells me I'll get plenty of play out of this tile. That is assuming I don't get too frustrated.

What's the difference between 'easy' and 'normal'? I started in normal but I switched to easy until I get the hang of things. So far I don't see any difference in the number of guards. Are they less persistent in easy maybe?
Old 03-15-04, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Something insightful from 1up's review that i found to be astonishingly true is that the gameplay from MGS2 that was grafted onto the game doesn't really fit too well
I couldn't disagree more.
I'm playing the PC version of MGS at the same time to compare and I feel handicapped because I can't do all the things in Twin Snakes.
Being able to mobilize guards from across the room with the M9 just gives you so many more choices.

This is an amazing game and priced right at $39.
My poor Gamecube is actually getting some playing time again!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.