DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Storage solutions? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/348687-storage-solutions.html)

rarebucky 02-21-04 11:04 PM

Storage solutions?

I know this has been asked in the past, but I can't find the threads. What do you guys recommend for storing and displaying LOTS of games (almost 2000) of differing hieghts obviously (i.e. Jaguar games are different than Saturn games, etc.)? I want something that's functional that's aesthetic as well. Please reply with suggestions. Thanks.

Decker 02-22-04 12:27 AM

This is what I've recently purchased. The system sure isn't cheap, but I like how practical it is and how you can keep expanding as your collection grows. Ordered mine a few weeks ago and am waiting for it impatiently right now. I'll post again once I get it set up...

Gizmo 02-22-04 03:53 AM

Decker, I have that exact unit at work, and that thing holds a crap load of games! If it wasn't so expensive, I would probaly order one for myself.

Trigger 02-22-04 05:33 AM

I've wanted that unit for 3 years now.

flashburn 02-22-04 07:33 AM

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Decker, I have that exact unit at work, and that thing holds a crap load of games! If it wasn't so expensive, I would probaly order one for myself.
I also have that exact same unit at work! What a coincidence.

Decker 02-22-04 04:50 PM

Thanks for the input. Great to know everyone likes it! :cool:

My wife treats this storage thing like it's my secret shame (which, ok, it is). She's already had a carpenter build wooden cabinet doors over the old TV nook so that no one will see the storage unit. I think it's overkill, but you know, you have to go along with the Mrs when it comes to the family room. Here's the before:
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/shareI...971778_235.jpg

flashburn 02-22-04 05:40 PM

Originally posted by Decker
Thanks for the input. Great to know everyone likes it! :cool:

My wife treats this storage thing like it's my secret shame (which, ok, it is). She's already had a carpenter build wooden cabinet doors over the old TV nook so that no one will see the storage unit. I think it's overkill, but you know, you have to go along with the Mrs when it comes to the family room. Here's the before:
http://pictures.sprintpcs.com/shareI...971778_235.jpg

Nice rug. :)

Decker 02-22-04 05:53 PM

Originally posted by flashburn
Nice rug. :)
Look buddy, we hired a designer to come in and we had her put together a sofa, window dressings, pillows and individual puzzle-piece ottomans (shown above) that all go together with that rug that she designed. It's called cutting-edge style -- look into it.

;)

flashburn 02-22-04 06:12 PM

Look buddy, we hired a designer to come in and we had her put together a sofa, window dressings, pillows and individual puzzle-piece ottomans (shown above) that all go together with that rug that she designed. It's called cutting-edge style -- look into it.

;)

Hey, I like the whole 1980's look you got going on in there. :lol:

Oh, and those edges on the carpet do look pretty sharp! Don't cut yourself on them.

rarebucky 02-22-04 07:50 PM

I've seen that Can Am unit and my real problem with it is that it doesn't display the games. I mean, I could obviously use those to hold all my games but no one can see them in the room (without opening the drawers, that is). Does anyone have any opinion on the Boltz racks (other than them being horribly overpriced)?

Corky Roxbury 02-22-04 09:04 PM

rarebucky, that is the same thing I am thinking about, I have about 60 next gen games(really this gen games :) ), and about 89 complete nes games, and all but 12 dreamcast games, so I amtotaling about 500 games right now, and I love the look of the can-am system, but I have the problem of buying racks, and then not liking them. I bought one of those spinning towers for about $200 and I never even use it.

I cannot decide if I want my games and dvds out in the open on shelves(if so I am going to turn a spare bedroom into a media vault, and have all the walls with built in shelves, so everyone can see how much money I have spent, and how much of an idiot I am.

or if I want the higher end look of can-am, and thenI can actaully put them in my home theater, and use a couple of them, and build a coffee table unit to play steel battalion on :banana:

young 02-22-04 09:32 PM

;)

LOL, i was about to make a smart-aleck comment about the rug as well :D just doesn't work in that room, and that's my professional opinion.

--
the storage you suggest looks great - but, does it come in other finishes or only in black metal?

==
never mind... i see it comes in several colors as well as mica tops.

goLUCKY 02-23-04 08:47 AM

[IMG]<i>Removed</i>[/IMG]
is that a phone cam picture?

Decker 02-23-04 09:48 AM

yup. medium resolution, not high.
The point was just to show how my wife had doors commisioned so that we could hide that nice Can-Am set.
Now I'm a little uncomfortable with the room critiques, so I'll be taking down the picture if you don't mind.