Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

NASCAR Thunder 2004 - need help

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-04, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NASCAR Thunder 2004 - need help

I picked up Nascar 2004 a couple of weeks ago and really like the potential it has. A cool season and career mode, create-a-car mode, the allies and rivalry system is cool, the graphics are okay, music isn't bad for a Nascar game (I was expecting some country stuff). All in all, I like the game.

The problem comes in when I actually have to race in the game. I don't have a steering wheel for my PS2, and I'm finding it near impossible to hold my line in traffic with just the controller. I always drift into another car, wreck up my car, and make a bunch of enemies in the process which makes the next race that much harder.

If anyone has any tips for me to play this game with the standard controller please let me know. I hate to sell this game simply because I'm having trouble controlling the car.
Old 02-20-04, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

not sure how else to describe it in that you have to be very gentle when you move the analog stick. try the practice for awhile and once you slow down for a turn you should be able to hold the line without a lot of movement on the stick. any jerking or sudden movements and you'll crash into other people. i dont even know if it'll help but you just need to practice a lot and get used to moving around the stick slowly and not over very far at all. the least amount the better. same goes for straightaways when youre in the middle of the pack. i do farely well in the game and i just use a controller too.
Old 02-21-04, 02:57 PM

Thanks for the tip. I'm doing better practice laps, but traffic is still ultra difficult. I think I'm going to break down and buy a wheel soon. I'm going to want one for GT4 anyway.
Old 02-23-04, 04:18 PM
DAC

When does GT4 come out anyway?

Also, any recommendations on wheels?
Old 02-24-04, 03:42 PM

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
The thing to remember when playing NASCAR racing games that makes them different than just about any other racing game is that you are almost always racing on banked surfaces. That's why you are always having to fight to keep your car from drifting.

I find it easier to use the d-pad (on X-Box) rather than the analog stick. Constant small taps to the d-pad are easier for me than trying to hold a line with the analog stick.

Of course now I use the MC2 racing wheel and it made a huge difference.

Try learning on a flat track like Phoenix (Homestead may still be flat in the game even though they added banking late last year) or on one of the two road courses.

After mastering the flat tracks move on to tracks that have slight banking, than gradually build up to the high banked tracks like Texas, Kansas and the like.

As far as handling traffic, remember this isn't like racing in GT or Street racing style racing games. You've got plenty of time to get through the field. Use the draft as much as possible to help "slingshot" by cars or get pushed by with a drafting partner. There's a lot more to NASCAR than going fast and turning left!

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 02-24-04 at 03:47 PM.
Old 02-26-04, 11:51 AM

bump