Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Halo - belly of the beast on Legendary

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-04, 04:27 PM
Premium Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Halo - belly of the beast on Legendary

I just cant do it!!!!

I have spent days trying but I can not get through it. I have been fighting with the snipers rifle and the machine gun. I am now going to try switching to a plasma pistol. I read on a faq that the plasma pistol helps with the elites.

Anyone made it past this? Any new advice?

My basic plan is use the s2 for the first elite while standing in teh middle of the room. Then charge the doors based on the radar with granades and machine gun. Switch back to s2 for the elite. I save the invisiblity for as late as I can.

I have tried staying in the big room and ducking into the halls.

I have gotten past 5 elites but never any more- how many are there?

ARGHHHH!

(sorry to be a newbie to an old game)
Old 02-19-04, 05:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

You're on the right track as far as throwing grenades as soon as the doors open. Save the invis until you about halfway through, or if you are about to die. Use it wisely, running behind grunts and what not and meleeing.

The plasma is good for knocking off covenant shields in a hurry. I can't remember exactly how many elites there were, but I don't think it was much more than 5. Maybe instead of charging the doors, throw the grenades from a distance when they open up, and try to get your sights on the elite.

This was one of the toughest spots for me I will say.
Old 02-19-04, 06:13 PM
Premium Member

I know there is at least 6 cause that scum bag got me!

How long did it take you to get past that part. I have spent at least 6 hours trying but I am not super good at the game
Old 02-19-04, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Take out the first one or two invisble sword elites, then try to make your way through one of the doors that opened (preferably one of the doors that leads to a hallway that wraps around to another door. Hide in that hallway, opening the door to pick them off when you can.

Sniper rifle + Plasma pistol is what I always use there.
Old 02-19-04, 06:36 PM

I forgot how I actually pass this point but I remember first chucking grenades at the first bay door that opens. There will be one invisible elite that you should kill with just the assault rifle. I then grabbed the invisible and meleed at least the 2nd invisible elite. If you have sticky grenades, you can run up to them while invisible and stick it on them. I also remember running and hiding out in the corridors behind the doors...I believe the 3rd door that opens is just grunts which you can practically run right by...

that part is one of the harder parts I remember but it's very satisfying when you make it by Good luck!
Old 02-19-04, 07:04 PM
Premium Member

Originally posted by juiio
Take out the first one or two invisble sword elites, then try to make your way through one of the doors that opened (preferably one of the doors that leads to a hallway that wraps around to another door. Hide in that hallway, opening the door to pick them off when you can.

Sniper rifle + Plasma pistol is what I always use there.
I have tried this (but without the plasma pistol) But the elites charge me and I can get one but not the other

I suck!!!!

I think the plasma pistol angle will make a big difference. I will let you know
Old 02-19-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've only done it with 2 people on legendary, but maybe you would be better off restarting the level and doing it with better weapons.

The battle right before is really hard too, so try doing again while conserving resources. Pistol and sniper headshots are your friend.
Old 02-19-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

the number of elites that appear is random. you will always get the first elite as an invisible sword elite. after that, the rest are visible gold elites with swords. sometimes you get 1 gold elite, sometimes you get a lot more.

if you are good (like me, hehe) then you can even beat this section (on single player legendary) with only the plasma pistol and grenades. you can even come away with 4 or all marines surviving the ordeal. it just requires fast reflexes and an eye that's always on the motion tracker.

start in the middle of the room. the very first door opens. which door is it? it's random. so use your surround sound speakers to pinpoint the location & do a rapid fire with your plasma pistol to take it out. Keep an eye on the radar (now, and throughout the ordeal) to see which door the enemies will come out next.

When a door opens, first see if there is an elite. If there is, immediately charge up your pistol and fire an overcharge shot at it. You'll deplete his shields, he'll be stunned & angry. at this point you do rapid-fire pistol shots to take him out. immediately throw a grenade if need be to clear out the grunts and jackals that came with him. try to clear them out quickly, because the next wave is going to come soon thru the next door. when you clear them out, head for the next set of enemies. use rapid fire pistol shots to take out all enemies, and use overcharge shots + rapid fire to take out elites. use grenades to take out groups. just keep repeating this and you'll never have to use your sniper rifle or the camouflage power up or even the health pack.

but.... if you're too slow (i.e. the next group enters the main area before you clear out the previous group), then you'll have to use a combination of camouflage & sniper rifle (hide in the hallways that they come out of) to finish the job. the marines will buy you some time, but usually if you end up using the camo or the sniper they're all going to die.

in general, when you go thru halo on legendary, you'll be using the plasma pistol A LOT. it's very effective at taking out enemies since you get a great combo of overcharge + rapid fire.

good luck. that area is my favorite part of the game. sometimes I'll just play that same section over and over again in one sitting. it's a huge adrenaline rush!
Old 02-19-04, 09:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by bfrank
I have tried this (but without the plasma pistol) But the elites charge me and I can get one but not the other

I suck!!!!

I think the plasma pistol angle will make a big difference. I will let you know
If you listen carefully, you can hear which door they come in at (and also look at the radar). If you hit them continuously with the plasma pistol from far enough back, you should be able to get them. You can also do it while running backwards, if need be.

Also don't be afraid to use your sniper rifle at close range (without the scope). Two well-placed bullets will kill them.
Old 02-22-04, 01:10 PM
Premium Member

DONE!!!!!

Lost all my troops but the plasma pistol is what I was doing wrong. It made it much easier for sure. Plus I have been using a new controller- pelican wireless and went back to the s controller which is less sloopy and that made the difference.

Funny how good you can feel about yourself after beating a level on a video game

Thanks! Now lets see if I can keep Keys alive

Last edited by bfrank; 02-23-04 at 04:58 PM.
Old 02-22-04, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Congrats

Don't worry about the troops. They were supposed to die.

Tip for the protecting Keyes part, if you need it:

Spoiler:
There is a large room right before the first save point after the initial one in the room where Keyes and the soldiers were being held. There are tons of bad guys in there. You might have a hard time keeping Keyes alive because he likes to try to fight, rather than stay back.

For that part, I would bring all the soldiers and Keyes all the way back to the room where they were being held prisoner. Then I'd run as fast as I could to get back to the big room (Keyes will be slow to catch up), open the door to the big room (but not go in the big room yet), and let as many of the guys in there have it. I could do this for a little while before Keyes would finally get there. I repeated that a couple times, and was finally able to keep him from suiciding himself.
Old 02-22-04, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Keyes is out of control...
Spoiler:

What about how, when everyone has finally got away on board the ship, he nearly gets you all killed by ramming the ship to kill a couple of covenant. That would be the time to suspend Keyes from active duty and take over I reckon .
Old 02-23-04, 04:59 PM
Premium Member

Thanks for the advice- will have to wait until the weekend (wife hates the xbox )
Old 02-23-04, 06:59 PM

I remember that room very well. It caused me to damage my DUKE controller from many uncontrollable launches to the floor and the coffee table.

I'm glad there were no cheat codes for Halo. I made it through with blood, sweat and tears and a damaged controller, but I DID IT BY MYSELF and I have a superior feeling of accomplishment. I'm a better man because of that.

Thank you Bungie for no cheats in HALO, you owe me one DUKE controller

Last edited by WOWZY; 02-23-04 at 07:05 PM.
Old 02-23-04, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats bfrank. That screen turned into quite a fight before getting through. Joshic's advice is the best. Use the motion tracker to get the jump. Than get all over that door quick. Often the plasma grenade through the door just as it opened, kept me alive. And I swear there were 10 Elites sometimes or more. I do not know how many time I played that screen, but I dreamed it the first night.

And the controller flew a few times.