Reload this Page >

Played Ninja Gaiden last night...

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Played Ninja Gaiden last night...

Old 03-04-04, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally posted by GizmoDVD
This game is way to damn hard. I'm at the second boss and I can't go back in the level to purchase more health...ve now died way too many times. Guess what games goin back tomorrow?

Still, its a really pretty game, but the camera sucks... I'll pick it up again when it hits $30
WAIT!!!

I had the same problem you did, but I didnt give up. Just hit the guy riding the horse with your bow, but dont shoot it in first person. You have to do a lot, and I mean A LOT of dodging and dont be afraid to use the firewheel art. On occassion you do have to kill the fireball throwing guys. It is best to dodge just as they fire off the ball, and then roll in to strike. Its tough I know but I got through it after 10 tries.
Old 03-04-04, 10:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
Its still tough. I like a challenge and all, but when its near impossible, how is it suppose to be fun?
Old 03-04-04, 11:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts
Its still tough. I like a challenge and all, but when its near impossible, how is it suppose to be fun?
It's not impossible I used to bullseye wamp rats in my T-16 back home...and Im a dork .

Come on Gizmo just give it one more day YOU CAN DO IT!!!!
Old 03-05-04, 02:20 AM
DVD & Video Game Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, i got really stressed on the second boss. After that you learn a couple new techniques and get the hang of the speed of battle so the game gets easier, or atleast more user friendly.

It's best to hit and run with basically every enemy, even that horse guy. Just roll out of his way and attack his horses ass. The monk ninjas in the fight are annoying, but can provide you with extra health if you don't have any elixirs or you can charge your special attack with their essence. I died on him about 12 times before i beat him, and when I finally got a pattern down I beat him without taking much damage or using my elixir. I'm on chapter 7 right now, and I gotta say that the second boss is the hardest boss I have faced so far.
Old 03-05-04, 02:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I found the guys on horses before the 2nd boss a lot harder than the actual boss. I was on the 5th level when I decided it was time to start a new game. After you get the hang of it, its A LOT easier, I am up to the 3rd boss and still havent used any items. I did spend abou an hour and a half getting orbs in the first level. This way I have the level 2 sword, 2 armlets (sucks you can only wear one at a time, seems dumb to me conseriding Ryu has 2 arms), and 2 ninpos.
Old 03-05-04, 04:03 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally posted by flashburn
I beat the first boss today, whoopdedoo! I could care less, this game just doesn't excite me at all. I continued playing the second stage until I got to these ass holes with horses. There are two of them at first, one with a bow, another with a polearm. I killed one finally after about 5 minutes, and then guess what happens, another one 'appears'! How fantastic of them! And the fact that the camera does a horrible job staying with you, half of the time I can't even see them!

I have learned over the years to trust reviews less and less, and that IGN's reviews are trash. I still cannot believe this game is getting 'rave' reviews. If this game wasn't stupidly difficult and the enemies weren't cheesy as hell, then maybe I would have more interest, but I doubt much more.

One thing I have learned so far that helped me get through the second half of the first level in a breeze was 'patience'. I would have to block alot of the attacks for multiple guys and then retaliate every so often, just to get a couple hits in and not get pummelled. This might sound fine and dandy to some, but I was expecting some fast, intense gameplay, not slow and tedious.

edit: And on another note...why can we say 'ass' and it isnt censored, yet 'ass(nospace)hole' is.
You just talked me out of buying it

Thanks for saving me $50, hehe.
Old 03-05-04, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

It's too bad some of you are judging the game from the first two or three chapters. Yes the game is challenging and difficult, but once you learn how to use all the moves available to you the game will really open up.
You absolutely must learn how to use the 'Reverse Wind' move or whatever it's called. This is the dodging manuever executed by pressing the L trigger and L thumbstick. Another amazing attack that will help is the essence strike. Try charging your Dragon Sword with an essence or two and watch the combo meter climb.

Press the White button to display your Karma points and each time you attack you'll see how many you have killed and how many hits in your combos you pulled off.

Yes the camera sucks at times but the R trigger solves that problem most of the time.

I also agree with others that some of the earlier bosses are tough. I believe it's because you are fighting them at a time when you do not yet know how to utilize all the attacks available to you nor do you have all the available button combos available to you.

Damn, even the counter attack combo (again this is something that you must learn how to do) is so sweet to pull-off. The game rewards you for being able to fight strategically.

This is no button-masher game.
Old 03-05-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by nickdawgy
You just talked me out of buying it

Thanks for saving me $50, hehe.
me too, I will save my $30 EBGames voucher for something else
Old 03-05-04, 10:49 AM

This game is way to damn hard. I'm at the second boss and I can't go back in the level to purchase more health...ve now died way too many times. Guess what games goin back tomorrow?

damn man, you sure give up easy. what has kept u playin video games all these years...? and yes those 3 horsemen rihgt b4 second boss seems to be the hardest thing in this game so far...

ill be the first to admit i wasnt feeling the game, but remember the early levels u dont have the best weapons, the best combos, or the best moves because u have to invest a lil time and upgrade all... and then.... the big payback -sit back and smile as you execute a 150 hit combo

give it a chance guys..
Old 03-05-04, 10:51 AM
Retired

Originally posted by Young Vito
what has kept u playin video games all these years...?
Games that are fun, that I can play and relax. Rather than games that are hard, and just frustrate me and piss me off.
Old 03-05-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Centurion
It's too bad some of you are judging the game from the first two or three chapters. Yes the game is challenging and difficult, but once you learn how to use all the moves available to you the game will really open up.

This is no button-masher game.

Maybe thats because most of us are having a problem getting PAST the first few levels? This game really does need an easier difficulty, it is just no fun in this game getting your ass whooped.

I do normally enjoy hard games, like F-Zero or whatever else, as long as they stay fun at the same time.

The pace of this game is also another reason why I am not having that much fun. IMO it should be a button masher, a ninja should be moving very fast the whole time executing moves in a flash. Instead I feel like an ederly ninja who has to take his time with every move and having to constantly stay on the defensive, instead of the offensive.
Old 03-05-04, 11:35 AM

The pace of this game is also another reason why I am not having that much fun. IMO it should be a button masher, a ninja should be moving very fast the whole time executing moves in a flash. Instead I feel like an ederly ninja who has to take his time with every move and having to constantly stay on the defensive, instead of the offensive.
You know, when I first started playing this, I felt the same way. Once I really learned to use the combos, and use the block effectively, I really started to move very fast. I am now blocking and attacking very offensively. I am just starting the 4th chapter now, and I think the third chapter is where I really started to learn how to play. The counter-attack combo really opens a lot up. You guys should give it a try. The camera isn't even that big of a deal after a couple chapters. You have to get used to pulling the trigger every so often.
Old 03-05-04, 12:25 PM

jeez, if some you guys are having this much trouble, I can only imagine how you would have done on the original ninja gaidens on he NES. If anything they were as hard, if not harder.

As for the folks avoiding the game due to the "difficulty", I say at least give it a try or rent it. I was also having my frustrations during the first 2 chapters and was ready to put NG up on ebay, but after awhile it just got addictive. Just have to know when to block and retaliate. Soon enough you're breezing through each chapter wanting more. The camera also isn't much of an issue once you get used to it.
Old 03-05-04, 12:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by amped
jeez, if some you guys are having this much trouble, I can only imagine how you would have done on the original ninja gaidens on he NES. If anything they were as hard, if not harder.
This games difficulty and the original Ninja Gaidens difficulty have nothing in common. Just because they have the same name doesn't mean they are the same game.
Old 03-05-04, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This games difficulty and the original Ninja Gaidens difficulty have nothing in common. Just because they have the same name doesn't mean they are the same game.
I feel you brother
Old 03-05-04, 01:59 PM
Retired

Originally posted by amped
That was a different period. I was a kid, had tons of free times, and didn't mind a stiff challenge from my games.

Now I have very little free time, and a ton of challenges in the real world, thus the little time I have for games I like to play something where I can just explore and goof around (like a platformer or zelda-type game) with minimal frustration as a way to relax and unwide after a long day.
Old 03-05-04, 02:19 PM

Does anybody have the link to the $10 gift voucher for EB? Seems like they took it off on their site.... thanks in advance.
Old 03-05-04, 02:45 PM

My point is that there hasn't been a game since the old school NGs that have provided a worthy challenge. Most console games now don't offer that anymore.

Speaking of which, here's my tip of the day: Give Muramaso 50 scarabs to unlock the 1st NG.
Old 03-05-04, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,063 Likes on 694 Posts
Originally posted by kaiyouske
Does anybody have the link to the $10 gift voucher for EB? Seems like they took it off on their site.... thanks in advance.
http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/ads/rebat...injaGaiden.asp
Old 03-05-04, 02:55 PM

Thanks a bunch! It's not linked on the product page nor the rebates page.... -_-
Old 03-05-04, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,063 Likes on 694 Posts
Right. I noticed the link was gone too before I had a chance to print it, but I hit a Google cache of the page a couple days ago, and the cached version still had the link to the rebate intact.
Old 03-05-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
I just started chapter 4. I don't really find the game hard (besides the boss characters) but the camera is terrible. Having to click the R trigger every couple seconds get's annoying.
Old 03-05-04, 04:56 PM

Hi,
Does anybody know how to enter the AFT Powerroom ?
I cant find anything.
Its more than likely something Ive overlooked but Ive4 searched the leval a number of times.
Id appreciate any help.
Thanks alot !
Old 03-05-04, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by jk4w
Hi,
Does anybody know how to enter the AFT Powerroom ?
I cant find anything.
Its more than likely something Ive overlooked but Ive4 searched the leval a number of times.
Id appreciate any help.
Thanks alot !
Spoiler:
If it's the one I'm thinking of, the one on the ship where you're outside in the rain, then you have to walk around to the opposite side of where the two gunners were and you should see a window held together with masking tape that you can jump through...then you're in the power room.
Old 03-05-04, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just played about 15 minutes without reading the manual. I was basically button mashing and experimenting but this game so far promises to be a sweet challenge.

Once I master the controls I'm sure this game will be worth my money.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.