Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Played Ninja Gaiden last night...

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Played Ninja Gaiden last night...

Old 03-03-04, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 191 Likes on 138 Posts
My Best Buy doesn't have it in stock yet, and Circuit City is claiming it comes out on the 5th.....

The horror.....
Old 03-03-04, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Woohoo, it's been delivered via Gamestop.com. Can't wait to get home and go ninja batshit on some baddies.
Old 03-03-04, 03:28 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
They gave Super Mario Sunshine which has a horrible camera an A- (versus the C- for Gaiden).
Is the camera in Gaiden fixed? The camera in Sunshine was totally moveable, so it really only sucked for those that don't like having to control the camera 95% on their own.

I'd take it over the camera in something like Devil May Cry which sucks and you can't move it.
Old 03-03-04, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Is the camera in Gaiden fixed? The camera in Sunshine was totally moveable, so it really only sucked for those that don't like having to control the camera 95% on their own.
The camera on Sunshine wasn't always completely controllable by the user. Sometimes it would not move and sometimes moving it would put a wall in between the camera and Mario. The most obvious example of the camera problems in Sunshine are in the part where you climb the back of the ferris wheel.

Last edited by Jeremy517; 03-03-04 at 03:54 PM.
Old 03-03-04, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Woo Hoo!!!! Just got my copy from EB! Im about to pop this sucka in that mean ol' X-Bizzle and break out some of that Ninja a$$-whip i use to give cats in the 80's!
Old 03-03-04, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am going to be the first one to say this, but, I am not liking this game too much so far.
The combat is so reminiscent of Prince of Persia it is making me sick. The guys are incredibly cheap, and unless I am mistaken, there is no easy way to quickly change targets if you are already attacking someone, which causes you to get hit by other guys repeatedly. It also seems very repetitious.

The camera is atrocious, I don't even want to see how bad it was in the demo. I hate not having ANY control in with the 3rd person camera, other than centering it on your character. I really wish they let you use the right analog to control the camera in 3rd person instead of first, it sucks having to stop and look around.

I also don't think the graphics are anything special (ofcourse, the screenshots looked much better), even running at 480p.

I have only played it for about 30 minutes, so my opinion might change over time, but so far I am not impressed.
Old 03-03-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Well, after making it to the first boss, I am going to add to my list of complaints that this is one of the most frustrating games I have ever played in a long time.
Old 03-03-04, 09:20 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by flashburn
Well, after making it to the first boss, I am going to add to my list of complaints that this is one of the most frustrating games I have ever played in a long time.
Since the original Ninja Gaiden games?
Old 03-03-04, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I went to the place I would usually go to get games on release date (Toys r us, Gamestop) and not dice ... but found it at Best Buy ... weird.

Anyway, I agree that this is a frustrating game, but it seems like I'll like it once I get the hang of it.
Old 03-03-04, 09:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Wow, suddenly I am having second thoughts. You sound like me when I was complaining about Gladius and everyone else was praising it
Old 03-03-04, 11:26 PM

What is making this game so frustrating for you guys? I have some camera issues to complain about but the difficulty isnt that easy or hard. So far its my favorite game on xbox, reminds me a lot of Devil May Cry which is one of my favorite games for ps2.
Old 03-04-04, 12:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts

The combat is so reminiscent of Prince of Persia it is making me sick.
Keep in mind, Ninja was announced and shown before Prince of Persia was...so in theory Prince is a rip of Ninja Gaiden...

I'm somewhat liking the game. The game seems was too difficult for the average gamer, and I have a feeling used copies will be arriving in a week once gamers get tired of trying to beat the damn boss 300 times with no luck.
Old 03-04-04, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by GizmoDVD
Keep in mind, Ninja was announced and shown before Prince of Persia was...so in theory Prince is a rip of Ninja Gaiden...
Yeah, I do realize that. I don't care whether it is a rip off or not, just that it is too similiar to PoP's combat system, which I really disliked. The main reason I disliked it is that it is too hard to stop mid combo to attack in another direction quickly enough. That and the fact that the enemies are cheap as hell and will all hit you at the same time in different directions.
Old 03-04-04, 07:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by menaz
reminds me a lot of Devil May Cry
Ugh, I hated DMC. Please tell me this game isn't like that.....
Old 03-04-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nickdawgy
Ugh, I hated DMC. Please tell me this game isn't like that.....
I would say it is a cross between Devil May Cry, Prince of Persia, and Otogi.

I really cannot stand the camera, they should've did like PoP did where the right analog stick moves the camera, unless you press a button to go to First person.
Old 03-04-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Camera's a little bit annoying at times, but using the Right trigger negates the problem (for me at least)
Old 03-04-04, 10:07 AM

I think it's a great game and well worth the wait.

It may be tough at times, but that just makes you think a little harder.

As for the camera, I dunno I guess I got used to it. It wasn't even an issue for me in the demo.
Old 03-04-04, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I've been playing the game for a few days. Like I predicted, Tecmo has released yet another hyped up graphical triumph that delivers some awesome gameplay experiences, and that reviewers will gladly praise in their early reviews (see DOAX Volleyball, DOA 3). Those that have to sit down with the game longer will find that it is not as deep, involved or as fun as it lends itself to beleive. I predict, like DOAX, that the early reviews will be favorable (after all, limited play time is allotted to get these reviews up before the competition), and months from now when more people get deeper into the game, and spend more time with it, we will realize how shallow the game really is.
Old 03-04-04, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mmconhea
I've been playing the game for a few days. Like I predicted, Tecmo has released yet another hyped up graphical triumph that delivers some awesome gameplay experiences, and that reviewers will gladly praise in their early reviews (see DOAX Volleyball, DOA 3). Those that have to sit down with the game longer will find that it is not as deep, involved or as fun as it lends itself to beleive. I predict, like DOAX, that the early reviews will be favorable (after all, limited play time is allotted to get these reviews up before the competition), and months from now when more people get deeper into the game, and spend more time with it, we will realize how shallow the game really is.
I cannot believe that the online 'tournament' mode doesn't even start until May, most people who bought it on release will have forgetten about this game by then.
Old 03-04-04, 05:48 PM
Banned

I've spent about 30 minutes watching my friend play this game, and I have come to one conclusion: This is Devil May Cry without guns.

It is really scary how much this game looks like DMC, and I'm also told that some elements are similar to PoP.
Old 03-04-04, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I beat the first boss today, whoopdedoo! I could care less, this game just doesn't excite me at all. I continued playing the second stage until I got to these ass holes with horses. There are two of them at first, one with a bow, another with a polearm. I killed one finally after about 5 minutes, and then guess what happens, another one 'appears'! How fantastic of them! And the fact that the camera does a horrible job staying with you, half of the time I can't even see them!

I have learned over the years to trust reviews less and less, and that IGN's reviews are trash. I still cannot believe this game is getting 'rave' reviews. If this game wasn't stupidly difficult and the enemies weren't cheesy as hell, then maybe I would have more interest, but I doubt much more.

One thing I have learned so far that helped me get through the second half of the first level in a breeze was 'patience'. I would have to block alot of the attacks for multiple guys and then retaliate every so often, just to get a couple hits in and not get pummelled. This might sound fine and dandy to some, but I was expecting some fast, intense gameplay, not slow and tedious.

edit: And on another note...why can we say 'ass' and it isnt censored, yet 'ass(nospace)hole' is.

Last edited by flashburn; 03-04-04 at 06:10 PM.
Old 03-04-04, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 24 Likes on 12 Posts
The two friends i have that picked up this game seem to love it, although i haven't had the chance to see it myself. Both said it was hard though, and neither complained about the camera. I'll check it out this weekend.
Old 03-04-04, 07:15 PM
Banned

Yup, this is Devil May Cry.

The menu system is the same. The item system is the same. The style (as I have seen so far) is the same. Every time I look at the game, I see another aspect which looks almost exactly like DMC.

I find it more humorous than disappointing. I mean, if you are going to rip off a game style almost in total, you might as well do it from a good game.

Congradulations Xbox fans... you now get to play a version of the game us PS2 owners played years ago.

That said, I will probably end up playing this game, if not just because of the similarities to my beloved DMC.
Old 03-04-04, 08:35 PM

the graphics are solid
but the camera SUCKS
i am patient and its slowly getting better (the game not the camera :P)

it seems continiously hitting the R trigger (reset camera) helps with the camera alot i guess...im not going to diss this game just yet, im up to the 3rd level and getting warmed up....
Old 03-04-04, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 68 Likes on 60 Posts
This game is way to damn hard. I'm at the second boss and I can't go back in the level to purchase more health...ve now died way too many times. Guess what games goin back tomorrow?

Still, its a really pretty game, but the camera sucks... I'll pick it up again when it hits $30

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.