Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Played Ninja Gaiden last night...

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-04, 11:35 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
no I agree. Now that I've unlocked the 3 originals, and upgraded everything to its max, I really have no urge to replay this game - even with a new costume and lightsaber. Hopefully they're working on a sequel.
Old 04-15-04, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by sambo777
Spoiler:

Finally, I finished this game last night. Only used 2 great spirit elixirs to do chapter 16. I had spent over an hour powering up with full elixers and 2 talismans... what a waste of time. The bosses in the last chapter are really too easy when you consider what you have been through to get to them. The last boss was defeated in less than 2 minutes. I was also disappointed in Ryu's actions in the cut scene at the end, but I guess he had to do what he did, but why leave the babe behind??? also the new costume he receives and the plasma sword are lame. I restarted the game on Very Hard and the game play is tough, but you would expect more out of a plasma sword. The new costume looks like crap considering the neat uniform he had given up for it. I know it sounds like i am bi_tching a lot cause this game was awesome, but thats the way i see it...
Thanks for some spoilers...
Old 04-15-04, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DARTH GAMER
I just beat the game over the weekend and I must say that it was a wild ride. An absolute great game all together. If you still have not beaten the flame dragon yet, I actually thought this boss was really easy. I went up to the second level so I was at the same height as his head and stayed pretty much right in front of him. I used the wind nimpo with the ice shards in it and then he would sort of lay his head down next to me from time to time and I would just keep pounding it with my sword. Good luck!
i m at level 16 at the moment in the lava pit, got the sword, and than there is a cut scenc with rachael hanging from the hook.
any tips on grabbing on the 3 branches and swing your way across, i have tried wall run and always missed out on the 1st branch, i tried just leap and grap on the 1st branch, but i keep falling down into the lava pit.
Old 04-16-04, 07:20 AM
Cool New Member

just run to the edge and leap for it. I promise that works...
Old 04-16-04, 11:23 AM

Originally posted by the_dude8
i m at level 16 at the moment in the lava pit, got the sword, and than there is a cut scenc with rachael hanging from the hook.
any tips on grabbing on the 3 branches and swing your way across, i have tried wall run and always missed out on the 1st branch, i tried just leap and grap on the 1st branch, but i keep falling down into the lava pit.
I second what was said above. Just run right to the edge and jump. Pretty soon, you'll be able to do this whole sequence in your sleep. Your almost to the final battle and if you lose, you start right there. Have fun!!
Old 06-23-04, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Just saw this on IGN. I rented this game and didm't care much for it, but this is impressive.

June 23, 2004 - As if Ninja Gaiden needed to get any better, Team Ninja's stellar action title is getting some renovations in early August. In conjunction with the Master Ninja Tournament, Tecmo is releasing Ninja Gaiden 1.1, downloadable over Xbox Live for free. All you need is a Live subscription, a copy of Ninja Gaiden, and the desire to kill again.

Ninja Gaiden 1.1 will be used for the second round of the Master Ninja Tournament, but can also be used offline without any need to ever touch the popular online tournament. Once downloaded, you'll need to start a brand new game to enjoy all of the improvements to Ninja Gaiden.
And oh those improvements. Check out everything Ninja Gaiden 1.1 has to offer:

New Enemies: As you can see in the latest screenshots, there are a few new, mammoth enemies added throughout the levels. There are no new levels, but just imagine some of those old areas now having all new, tougher baddies. And, from what we hear, there are more enemies than what we seen in the screens.

New Bosses: As if new enemies weren't enough, there will also be some new bosses. The story and structure of Ninja Gaiden will not change, so it's anyone's guess where these bosses may show up. They could replace old bosses or be added on top of previous boss battles. We don't know the particulars, but we can promise that they will be tougher than what you've previously faced. Oh crap.

New Weapons: There are three new weapons available in 1.1. From what we understand, they will likely be available in the shop during the course of the game, but it's possible that one or more of them may be hidden in the game or earned from defeating bosses. The Bo Staff is featured prominently in the new screens, but don't worry, we'll have info on all three new weapons soon enough.

Improved AI: Ninja Gaiden creator Tomonobu Itagaki wanted to add some extra challenge to an already difficult game, so the AI has been improved to make all enemies smarter. Expect an even greater challenge, no matter what difficulty setting you choose.

New Camera: Now we get into what makes Ninja Gaiden 1.1 a landmark Xbox Live download. Hearing the complaints of fans, Itagaki redid Gaiden's camera. You'll now have full 360 degree control of the camera. The camera will also be smarter, so you shouldn't have to worry about it being in too close or at the wrong angle when in a fight.

Action Engine: How do you improve Ninja Gaiden? Make it faster. Yes, you heard that right. When you download Ninja Gaiden 1.1, you'll get all of the above improvements, plus an upgraded engine that makes the action even faster. What will be faster? Everything. Ryu, the enemies, and most importantly the combat. All of it will come quicker requiring even greater reflexes. Think back to what it was like playing the "slow" version of Ninja Gaiden and imagine tossing shurikens while running along walls and battling four of those annoying brown ninjas at once. Now speed that up. Hear that sound? That's your brain about to explode.

Ninja Gaiden 1.1 will be available in early August for Xbox Live subscribers who own a copy of the original game. An exact date and details on the second round of the Master Ninja Tournament are forthcoming, but remember that there's absolutely no need to be a participant in the tournament in order to enjoy Ninja Gaiden 1.1.

We'll have more on Ninja Gaiden 1.1 and the Master Ninja Tournament very soon. And if you're wondering if this is it for Ninja Gaiden downloadable content, keep in mind that there is a third round of the Master Ninja Tournament still to come. Could we see Ninja Gaiden 1.2? We sure hope so.

Last edited by Decker; 06-23-04 at 08:58 PM.
Old 06-23-04, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

holy crap!
Old 06-23-04, 09:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Decker

New Camera: Now we get into what makes Ninja Gaiden 1.1 a landmark Xbox Live download. Hearing the complaints of fans, Itagaki redid Gaiden's camera. You'll now have full 360 degree control of the camera. The camera will also be smarter, so you shouldn't have to worry about it being in too close or at the wrong angle when in a fight.

Action Engine: How do you improve Ninja Gaiden? Make it faster. Yes, you heard that right. When you download Ninja Gaiden 1.1, you'll get all of the above improvements, plus an upgraded engine that makes the action even faster. What will be faster? Everything. Ryu, the enemies, and most importantly the combat. All of it will come quicker requiring even greater reflexes. Think back to what it was like playing the "slow" version of Ninja Gaiden and imagine tossing shurikens while running along walls and battling four of those annoying brown ninjas at once. Now speed that up. Hear that sound? That's your brain about to explode.
That is so kick ass! I am glad I haven't gotten around to playing this game through a second time yet. Team Ninja
Old 06-23-04, 10:52 PM

I don't have live , hell I don't even have Ninja Gaiden anymore, i'll have to have both by August though
Old 06-23-04, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

AWEsome!!!!

Old 06-24-04, 01:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

New Camera: Now we get into what makes Ninja Gaiden 1.1 a landmark Xbox Live download. Hearing the complaints of fans, Itagaki redid Gaiden's camera.
How far Itagaki has come since last year...

"One of the key elements of an action game is the camera engine supporting its camera work. One of our main tasks during the year 2002 was to complete our camera engine. We were able to perfect a camera system that allows the player to control Hayabusa perfectly using only the left thumbstick. Poorly-made games that use a camera often require the player to control the camera's position using the secondary stick, but our action game is not like that at all. The player should not have to worry about an incompetent cameraman!

Above I mentioned that the first person view control is assigned to the right thumbstick; the reason this is possible in the first place is because the excellence of NINJA GAIDEN's camera system doesn't require the thumbstick, making it free for the player's use."

Twelve months later and I still find this hysterically funny.
Old 06-24-04, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
holy crap... they fixed the camera!

holy crap... they made it harder... :/
Old 06-24-04, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,655 Likes on 1,032 Posts
I never had a problem with the camera, but the new weapons and difficulty are definitely exciting.
Old 06-24-04, 01:53 PM

I just love this game! I beat it nearly 4 times and it just keeps getting better and better! Can't wait until number 2!!

Last edited by Get Me Coffee; 06-24-04 at 01:57 PM.
Old 06-24-04, 04:19 PM

Originally posted by Decker
*Sigh* What about those people (like me) who DON'T have Xbox Live and have no interest in getting it? What happened to game companies getting it right the FIRST time around???
Old 06-24-04, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Originally posted by DaBargainHunta
*Sigh* What about those people (like me) who DON'T have Xbox Live and have no interest in getting it? What happened to game companies getting it right the FIRST time around???
Well, I'm sure some kind soul here (like me) will give you a free 2-month code to use.
Old 06-24-04, 09:37 PM

Originally posted by DaBargainHunta
Err they did get it right the first time around. It's more or less a perk for live users who own Ninja Gaiden, sucks for the rest of us but it is quite understandable.
Old 08-10-04, 12:27 AM

Location: ____St. Louis___ a.k.a. 'Roid Rage in fantasy sports
Hurricane Pack Vol. 1 is now available to download. Any opinions yet?
Old 08-10-04, 10:34 AM

This alone makes me want to sign up for X-Box Live's service. I'm curious to see what the reviews are going to be like for this. I give Tecmo a lot of credit for doing this. It may be a little unfortunate for those of us without Live, but for a console game to receive such an update/upgrade is definitely out of the ordinary.
Old 08-11-04, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This game is nuts with the update. I bought Ninja Gaiden based of some great word of mouth from a coworker. It wasn't my type of game but I needed something new. I sucked soooooo bad at it. I had some of my gaming buddies over and they sucked at it. But we couldn't put the game down.

I hadn't really touched the game in some time but when I saw it posted here that the update was out I figured I'd try the game again. It's faster and harder but I really enjoyed it. I didn't play to win or get a great score for the tournament. I just played to have fun and I did.

I think I could get back into the game. I'm not sure if I'll do well but the updated version has me curious again.

Thank god for game updates because games like Rainbow Six 3 and others with downloadable content have really helped me feel like I'm getting the most of of my money.
Old 08-11-04, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

A question I'm copying and pasting from another forum:

Which brings up another potential frustration that I couldn't quite find a straight answer to at Gamefaqs. To start a Master Ninja Tournament game, you have to be logged on to Xbox Live, whether you've downloaded the content already or not. Now I believe that once you save a game that you start through the Master Ninja Tournament, you can load it again later without signing onto Live, but since I can't freaking make it to a save point, I can't verify that. It would suck doubly if you always had to have a Live connection to access the content.

Anyone know whether or not this is the case?
Old 08-31-04, 02:58 PM

That Master Ninja Tournament is so fuckin' hard!!! I guess I haven't played the game in awhile and got rusty! I need to jump into this again.
Old 08-31-04, 05:27 PM

Originally posted by Dan Average
A question I'm copying and pasting from another forum:

Which brings up another potential frustration that I couldn't quite find a straight answer to at Gamefaqs. To start a Master Ninja Tournament game, you have to be logged on to Xbox Live, whether you've downloaded the content already or not. Now I believe that once you save a game that you start through the Master Ninja Tournament, you can load it again later without signing onto Live, but since I can't freaking make it to a save point, I can't verify that. It would suck doubly if you always had to have a Live connection to access the content.

Anyone know whether or not this is the case?
You probably already found this out Dan, but yeah, if you make it to the save point, you can play the Hurricane Pack without being online. It's quite an accomplishment getting to the save point. But after that, you have to make it to the boss which is another adventure on its own.