Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

SNES Super Magic Game Converter

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-04, 09:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SNES Super Magic Game Converter

I've been thinking about getting some Super Famicom games lately when I came across the Super Magic Game Converter for the SNES. It seems to let you play imported games on your SNES. I was wondering if anyone here has used or actually has one. I'd don't really want to have to buy a Super Famicom mainly because I don't have a place to put it. The converter would be great.

Thanks for your help...
Old 02-11-04, 09:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You don't need a converter!!

Get some pliers or a screwdriver and a hammer..

Open the flap of the SNES where you put a game in, you'll see a plastic tab on each side.. if you look at an SNES game you see the cartridge had slots that fit right in. Break those tabs off.

Viola.. you can now play Super Fami games.
Old 02-11-04, 10:09 AM

Now I'm all for destroying stuff, but I'm not sure I'm ready to venture into modifiying my SNES

All that was different from a Super Famicom game and a SNES game was the cartridge shape? I didn't realize that. What about the PAL/NTSC issue (or doesn't that apply with the SNES)?
Old 02-11-04, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, that is all that is different. Once you remove those tabs you can play US and Japanese games. PAL is for Euorpean televisions, don't worry about it.
Old 02-11-04, 10:27 AM

Thanks, you saved me from buying a converter that I don't need
Old 02-11-04, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I also know how you can play Fami games on your NES.. it involves opening up a Gyromite cartridge.
Old 02-11-04, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts
Also, if you dunk the SNES in water for 2 hours, it will spit out magical golden eggs.
Old 02-11-04, 11:30 AM

It works, when I had a SNES I had one similar to it, even though I knew you could just break the SNES [the guy at the import shop told me] I would rather just use the cartridge..

There is one for Sega Genesis that does the same..they are good and cheap these days.
Old 02-11-04, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by sararekuforever
[the guy at the import shop told me]
That wouldn't have been Planet Anime by any chance?
Old 02-11-04, 12:12 PM

Yes, that stores been around for so long. A long time ago though, I was around 11-12 and was trying to get Sailor Moon games and FFV.
Old 02-11-04, 12:54 PM

I remember the Sega Genesis could do that. I didn't fix the Genesis since the Japanese cart shapes were much different. I just opened the game cart and inserted the chip directly into the slot.
Old 02-11-04, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Welcome to 1991....?
Old 02-11-04, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have the Super Magic Game Converter (or whatever my knockoff is called) and, like mentioned above, it really only extends the existing cartridge slot outwards so that SF* games will fit.

Meh, if you can do it without buying the extender, then by all means go for it. This is actually the first I've heard of the little tabs you break off.

I had no probs, however, grinding down the edges of my Genesis cart slot with my friends file (after testing the process on his Genny).

* Super Famicom, not Street Fighter
Old 02-11-04, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Welcome to 1991....?
..and the games are still better than today!
Old 02-11-04, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yes, that stores been around for so long. A long time ago though, I was around 11-12 and was trying to get Sailor Moon games and FFV.
Heh, yeah I figured as much since you're from Houston. I remember they showed me how to do it back in 95 or 96 when I got Dragon Ball Z 2 (aiyee.. I'm ashamed!). I'm surprised they didn't charge me to take the tabs out, they were real pricks back then (probably still are).
Old 02-11-04, 01:22 PM

If you feel like destroying part of a console to play a Super Famicom game by all means you can do it. Or you can simply do what I did and destroy the tabs on a Game Genie and play imports that way. I could care less that it takes me longer to start up a game. But it works for me.
Old 02-11-04, 01:43 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Heh, yeah I figured as much since you're from Houston. I remember they showed me how to do it back in 95 or 96 when I got Dragon Ball Z 2 (aiyee.. I'm ashamed!). I'm surprised they didn't charge me to take the tabs out, they were real pricks back then (probably still are).
Actually, they're not so bad anymore...last time I went about a month ago [after not going for a long time]

They have a lot more items than before, and they seem to be lowering their prices...and they won an award from the Chronicle or the Press or something
Old 02-11-04, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Actually, they're not so bad anymore...last time I went about a month ago [after not going for a long time]

They have a lot more items than before, and they seem to be lowering their prices...and they won an award from the Chronicle or the Press or something
Well of course they're better now. You can buy anime EVERYWHERE even the flippin' grocery store. I'm sure they realized they no longer offer a premium service and had to clean up their act to keep people in the store. When I lived in Houston (up until 98 or so) they were total ass rockets. But we went anyway because there was nowhere else to go (until Panarama open, if you remember them).
Old 02-11-04, 02:30 PM

Is this really destroying the console though? It's just extra pieces of plastic hehe.

I mean.. even I did it myself back then and I was just some kid in middle school.
Old 02-11-04, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by khai
Is this really destroying the console though?
No.
Old 02-11-04, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Well of course they're better now. You can buy anime EVERYWHERE even the flippin' grocery store. I'm sure they realized they no longer offer a premium service and had to clean up their act to keep people in the store. When I lived in Houston (up until 98 or so) they were total ass rockets. But we went anyway because there was nowhere else to go (until Panarama open, if you remember them).
I do.

There was also "Japan Toys" in the Galleria, and "Animagic" in first colony mall.

Both good stores.
Old 02-11-04, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah you just pull out the tabs (more like break them off). Its really easy and probably the safest mod out there, you don't even have to open the system, and you'll have a hassle free system that plays both US and Japanese games. If you need more detailed info ask away.

I remember doing it for FFV back in the day. Ahhh memories .

You could also use this trick for the N64 to play japanese games to play games like Sin & Punishment.
Old 02-11-04, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Is there a way you can keep the cartridge in the SNES from moving while it's inserted?

For example, I'll be in the middle of a game, and then all of a sudden, the game freezes and dies because the cartridge moved in it's slot - it's doesn't even take a major jolt, either. It only has to move about half a milimeter to do this. Even if you just blow on it, or even look at it funny it'll disconnect. It'll sometimes disconnect without any movement at all.

Is there a way to fix this?
Old 02-11-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by slop101
Is there a way you can keep the cartridge in the SNES from moving while it's inserted?
Oi? I've never heard of this and I've been SNES gaming since 1991.. The circuit board would keep the game in place as far as I know.. might need a new machine if it's doing that. I have probably the most beat-up looking SNES you'll ever see (doing some internal experiments) and I've been playing marathon sessions of Tales of Phantasia, while my girlfriend has been playing marathon sessions of Earthworm Jim 2 without any problems.
Old 02-12-04, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Yeah, I've had an SNES since it came out also. At first I had one of the older machines and had no problems. I (regrettably) sold it in '96 and in '98 I bought the smaller, newer version and it's not at all beat and is in brand-spanking condition, but the cartridge slot just does not hold on to the cartridge very well - it's sort of loose, and if I stick the game in all the way it does not work - I have to insert the game about half way in for it to work - but that's what makes it a loose fit.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.