DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   $20 Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy (Xbox) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/344035-%2420-sphinx-cursed-mummy-xbox.html)

dvdhuds 01-29-04 08:29 AM

$20 Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy (Xbox)

ebgames.com has Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy with a free t-shirt for $19.99 plus free shipping. It got a lot of good notice on many end-of-year awards sites, so I thought I would pick it up and pass along the deal info.

young 01-29-04 08:48 AM

thanks for the info... off to gamerankings to see if the game's any good.

Galanthas 01-29-04 10:38 AM

It's a very fun game, it took me I think 19 hours to finish. Similar to Zelda somewhat. It's not perfect but no game ever is. The only complaints I really have is that 1. No voice acting which is disappointing because the game has great facial animations and 2. The game is to easy, not as easy as Wind Waker but close.

vgc 01-29-04 11:51 AM

Just an FYI, it appears the Sphinx game is also the $19.99 price at EB and Gamestop B&M stores also. I purchased my copy at Gamestop last night. I asked them about the T-shirt, and they replied that they had just received the T-shirts so I got one of those too. The clerk thought it was weird that they had just received the t-shirts for a game that has been out for awhile. The EB store didn't have the T-shirts, but they had the game priced at $19.99. This is probably one of those YMMV deals.

Thanks for posting this deal!!

Anjanettea 01-29-04 02:40 PM

Thanks for posting the deal. I purchased Sphinx from EBgames a few weeks ago. I called EB today, and they gave me credit.

THANKS!!!

Anj

MonkeyG 01-29-04 04:09 PM

Thanks for the heads up!

DeanoBKN 01-29-04 05:25 PM

Our EB store got the t-shirts for pre-orders. They were very cool looking (the entire shirt was a print of mummy tape)

illennium 01-29-04 05:31 PM

Dean, is the GameCube version also $19.99 in store? Thanks.

cheapskate 01-29-04 05:34 PM

Just a couple of notes about this deal:
[list=1][*]The offer is also for PS2 - PS2 version link [*]The t-shirt is HIDEOUS ;)[/list=1]

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/pr...es/236174x.jpg

flashburn 01-29-04 05:42 PM

Originally posted by cheapskate
Just a couple of notes about this deal:
[list=1][*]The offer is also for PS2 - PS2 version link [*]The t-shirt is HIDEOUS ;)[/list=1]

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx_assets/pr...es/236174x.jpg

What are you talking about!? You would look like a complete badass* with a shirt like that on!

*= replace badass with stupid ass.

Quake1028 01-29-04 09:30 PM

This is for all versions of the game.

Jtnguyen12 01-30-04 09:07 AM

I pickup my GC copy at Ebgames for $21.xx after taxes not bad for new release game (3 months old)

RoQuEr 02-11-04 08:28 PM

I didn't get a shirt with my order :(

Superboy 02-11-04 08:45 PM

I got it for $15 at BB with the coupon.

Michael Corvin 02-11-04 09:06 PM

Originally posted by Superboy
I got it for $15 at BB with the coupon.
I'm surprised that it took that many posts before that was mentioned. I was about ready to

RUN-DvdMC 02-12-04 11:29 AM

I need to wait longer on new releases for them to drop in price like this. I was lucky to not pay full price for this one, but I would feel like a sucker if I paid $50 for a game to just drop to $20 in less than 6 months. :( (Which by the way has happened to me!)

msdmoney 02-14-04 05:13 AM

Originally posted by RUN-DvdMC
I need to wait longer on new releases for them to drop in price like this. I was lucky to not pay full price for this one, but I would feel like a sucker if I paid $50 for a game to just drop to $20 in less than 6 months. :( (Which by the way has happened to me!)
Yeah I really can't bring myself to pay 50 for a game these days especially when they usually drop to 30 at least within a few months. Even for games I really wanna play and feel I should support so they will make more (Prince of Persia) 50 just seems to much these days. Some games I never would have bought turned out to be some of my favorites (Beyond Good and Evil), and I only picked them up cause they dropped to a good price.

Back on topic though, I may pick this up when I have more cash flow(saving for a trip to Europe), with the GGC at Best Buy. I enjoy platformers and this got decent reviews.

Decker 03-07-04 02:14 AM

Just picked up this game (it finally came back in stock at my local BB). What a friggin' beautiful game. It really looks amazing. Who was the dumb-ass who thought it would be a good idea to have no voice acting though? That is so N64. I didn't think it was going to be such a big deal, but it really takes you out of the experience to see characters miming while you read their subtitles. I guess someone in development was too lazy to cast for some out-of-work actors and book a recording studio for a half-day. Very, very lame.

Galanthas 03-07-04 04:59 AM

Originally posted by Decker
Just picked up this game (it finally came back in stock at my local BB). What a friggin' beautiful game. It really looks amazing. Who was the dumb-ass who thought it would be a good idea to have no voice acting though? That is so N64. I didn't think it was going to be such a big deal, but it really takes you out of the experience to see characters miming while you read their subtitles. I guess someone in development was too lazy to cast for some out-of-work actors and book a recording studio for a half-day. Very, very lame.
Yep, that's pretty much the only thing I disliked about the game, well besides the easy difficulty. Still a fun game though.

xfilekr 03-07-04 07:11 PM

I just finished this game (15hrs) after you guys reccomended it and I LOVED IT! I've never played a game like that- what are some other games you could reccoment similar to it on Xbox?
Thanks!