Suikoden IV: new trailer

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 01-15-04, 11:24 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Suikoden 4 trailer

Although 3 was a lowpoint in the series, part 4 is looking pretty good so far. The enemies already look more interesting than anything seen in 3, and the animation looks nice (3 was awful in that department).
Old 01-16-04, 07:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts
I saw it last week, and it looks amazing. I'm interested to see how they tie in the story since this one takes place 150 years before the first game. Although I agree that 3 was probably the slightly below the first two, I still consider it one of the best RPG's I have ever played. I don't think I've enjoyed an RPG that much since I played 2 back in 99.
Old 01-16-04, 08:18 AM

Sweet....

I Loved The Series And Although I Agree 3 Was A Low Point 4 Looks Sweet
Old 01-16-04, 03:57 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Looks pretty good. The animation is much better, and the music was nice. However, I hope they don't keep that voice acting, it was terrible.

I really liked Suikoden 3. It was a little rough around the edges in some parts, graphics and music, but the story and characters more than made up for it. And the Trinity System was really well done. It took awhile to get into but as soon as I finished one of the chapters I was hooked . Bring on 4!
Old 01-16-04, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

3 made me want to bury this series 3 feet deep (similar to Silent Hill 2, I have no desire to even look at the box of SH3). I don't really care if Suikoden 4 is coming, unless there are an overwhelming number of positive reviews from the non-gaming press.
Old 01-16-04, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Sweet....

Originally posted by Tainted Blood
I Loved The Series And Although I Agree 3 Was A Low Point 4 Looks Sweet
Typing Like That Makes Your Posts Difficult To Read
Old 01-19-04, 11:18 AM

Re: Re: Sweet....

Originally posted by Breakfast with Girls
Typing Like That Makes Your Posts Difficult To Read
WhAt ArE YoU TaLkInG AbOuT....
Old 01-21-05, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,886 Likes on 1,456 Posts
I'll just bump up this old thread to talk about this game, because I don't think there's that much interest in it anyway...

Recently got it for 30 bucks at a recent Fry's sale, but after reading a bunch of reviews, it seems to be maligned quite a bit. (Actually, before reading this thread, I didn't realize how many of you didn't like Suikoden III, which I thought was a good game despite the flaws in the battle system). So is anyone actually playing it, and is it as bad as the online and magazine reviews seem to indicate?

Xenosaga II also seems to have gotten hammered by reviews...
Old 01-22-05, 11:01 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Im playing it, about 10 hrs in. Much easier to get into than 3. Battle rate is very high . Doesnt even compete with number 2 (probably my favorite rpg ever) story wise. Wish they would have 6 characters fighting because you get so many party members.
Old 01-22-05, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ordered it from dvdsoon on the 20% off sale despite the negative reviews. Looking forward to it.
Old 01-23-05, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
I really miss having 6 characters in the party. Also alot of characters just seem to join for no reason other than get your party to 108 characters. The boat doesnt seem to really grow, mine just has a lot of empty room waiting for me to find the characters for it. I like the sea battles better than the overly long battles from 3. Just an average RPG in my opinion with
Old 01-25-05, 09:18 AM

so how does the story work then with so many characters?

is there a starting "main" character that you have to stick with through the whole game or can you shelve him/her if they are lame?

I like just being able to pick who I want in the friggin party I dont like being force-fed characters. can you change their names too?

ive never played any games in the series but im always looking for something new
Old 01-25-05, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 873 Likes on 644 Posts
Originally Posted by Hospitaller
so how does the story work then with so many characters?

is there a starting "main" character that you have to stick with through the whole game or can you shelve him/her if they are lame?

I like just being able to pick who I want in the friggin party I dont like being force-fed characters. can you change their names too?

ive never played any games in the series but im always looking for something new
You have one MAIN character, who is basically always in your party. Throughout the game you recruit members to join you and basically build your own hideout/town. Many of the characters you recruit cannot be used in battle. They're just there to open shops and do things in your hideout. There are some parts where certain characters have to be part of your party for a mission, but not too often. You can only name your main character. 4 seems to be much lighter/easier than 3. I'm under 30 hours and have recruited all 108 and I think I'm close to the end boss. 3 took me just under 70 hours to finish completely.