Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

KoF Censored for US Release

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-03, 12:38 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
KoF Censored for US Release

In possibly the most retarded move this month, reports are coming in that SNKUSA has censored the US release of King of Fighters 2000/2001. Blood, guns, and the all important boob-shaking have all been removed from all releases. Many fans are returning their US copies in favor of the Japanese releases or previous versions of the game.

What is most concerning about this move is the possibility that this trend might continue in future US releases of games in the Metal Slug series. All I know, is that I'm going to start looking for the KoF games they ported to DC. I can't believe they screwed up so bad.
Old 12-13-03, 12:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I only clicked this thread to see what KoF was.
Old 12-13-03, 12:55 PM

that sucks!! I have been a fan of Neo Geo since the beginning and would not want to buy a game that has been censored.

is the Japanese release of this game uncensored, I dont own a DC and would like to play the games without having to buy another system.

I am also hoping this is not a sign of how they are going to treat Samurai Showdown Zero.
Old 12-13-03, 12:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Looks like it is SNK Japan's fault for doing the 'translation', and SNK USA lied to us by claiming that it won't be censored all along.

It is too bad.
Old 12-13-03, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i dunno if this is true, they seem to be going gaga over this at gamefaqs. if my local BB has it I'm going to pick it and see today
Old 12-13-03, 02:05 PM

I thought this was pretty normal for the KOF series. Not so much the blood I think, but I seem to remember in the arcade boards (and roms) if you switched the region from Japan to USA you would lose bouncing boobs and some other things (like name changes, etc.).
Old 12-13-03, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's like the early 90's all over again! Anyone have the blood code?!?!
Old 12-13-03, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah there's not much blood in KoF, but it is most satisfying seeing that streak of blood when you pull of Iori's special on an opponent. I don't see why they'd take out the bouncing boobs either, there's countless games here that have it. It might be a mistranslation or something, because it doesn't make any sense why they'd do it. Of course, game censoring is not a thing of the past, it still happens to lots of games today, but this sounds a little extreme or there must be an option or sometihng for it.
Old 12-13-03, 03:52 PM

Can anyone prove this? I wanted to buy this, but if it is censored, I won't. I mean, I have no problem with the censorship, as I am not really into blood or boobs that much [except my sarah's]

but...

still, that's cutting out frames of animation or modifying them, and seeing Mai seriously fight with her breasts spilling out is quite funny

Oh well, I play with Rock and Athena anyways
Old 12-13-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

All I know, is that I'm going to start looking for the KoF games they ported to DC.
Were the DC versions "uncensored"? I never played them (not a big fan here) but the fact that the DC version of Last Blade 2 was altered pretty heavily makes me wonder if they were.
Old 12-13-03, 04:46 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Dan Average
Were the DC versions "uncensored"? I never played them (not a big fan here) but the fact that the DC version of Last Blade 2 was altered pretty heavily makes me wonder if they were.
From everything I have read, the DC versions are still the original versions. If anyone can confirm this, it would be appreciated.
Old 12-13-03, 09:27 PM

As much as I like SNK games I think the company is stuck in the early 90's when it comes to games. with the games we have out now there is no need to censor such minor things.

I might have to just get the original Cartridge version of Samurai Showdown and the KOF's if there are no good ports.
Old 12-13-03, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I might have to just get the original Cartridge version of Samurai Showdown and the KOF's if there are no good ports.
If by "original Cartridge version" you mean the Neo-Geo versions (which is what I'm assuming, since AFAIK the only other cartridge versions of the KoF games are the portable versions for the Game Boy and Neo-Geo Pocket), those are censored too. From what I understand the only way to get the uncensored versions is to either have a Japanese-model Neo-Geo or get a debug chip that allows you to fiddle with the region settings. (I believe the Neo-Geo CD versions are uncensored.) However there are so many KoF games out there I'm not sure if they're all censored.
Old 12-13-03, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

ok im playing it right now
1st of all this game has not aged well at all, it's pretty bad. But yea all the blood looks like sweat ala MK1 SNES. haven't checked on the boobage yet.
Old 12-13-03, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

negative on the boobage as well
Old 12-13-03, 11:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

mai ==== > Censored

Last edited by Jtnguyen12; 12-14-03 at 01:38 AM.
Old 12-13-03, 11:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
I think most of SNK is Normal and I don't think SNK worry about Editing All the GAMEs release in the US. If SNK wanna compare between violent and Scensored is no way they can compete with Grand Theft Auto series ty, Man Hunt, Dead or Alive, etc., ( Only 10 out of 100%).

The games is Priceless if it Editing " WOnder whom comeup STUPID IDEAs"
What the hell?
Old 12-14-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Jtnguyen12
I think most of SNK is Normal and I don't think SNK worry about Editing All the GAMEs release in the US. If SNK wanna compare between violent and Scensored is no way they can compete with Grand Theft Auto series ty, Man Hunt, Dead or Alive, etc., ( Only 10 out of 100%).

The games is Priceless if it Editing " WOnder whom comeup STUPID IDEAs"
Werd
Old 12-14-03, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: (formerly known as Inglenook Hampendick) Fairbanks, Alaska!
Received 513 Likes on 353 Posts
sigh

Last edited by AGuyNamedMike; 12-15-03 at 07:09 AM.
Old 12-14-03, 01:49 PM

Originally posted by Dan Average
If by "original Cartridge version" you mean the Neo-Geo versions (which is what I'm assuming, since AFAIK the only other cartridge versions of the KoF games are the portable versions for the Game Boy and Neo-Geo Pocket), those are censored too. From what I understand the only way to get the uncensored versions is to either have a Japanese-model Neo-Geo or get a debug chip that allows you to fiddle with the region settings. (I believe the Neo-Geo CD versions are uncensored.) However there are so many KoF games out there I'm not sure if they're all censored.
the cartridges have both versions on it, and I am in the process of purchasing a Japanese Neo AES system so I wont have to worry about the Censorship since it only comes into play if you have a US version of the system, the only problem is having to pay $330 for one game (Samurai Showdown Zero)
Old 12-14-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have all the KOFs (except for 2002) for Neo Geo home cartridges, and yes, they are censored for the US systems. But I flip the language to Japan (or developer's bios) and all the bounce/blood is restored.

Retarded.
Old 12-14-03, 04:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This isn't really the thread for this, but: rumor has it SNK will be phasing out MVS (Neo-Geo) carts pretty soon because they've become too easy to pirate. From now on they'll use standard JAMMA games. Like I said it's just a rumor but they've already started going down this path (by making a MVS-to-JAMMA converter) so it wouldn't surprise me.
Old 12-14-03, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally posted by DVDKrayzie
negative on the boobage as well
This stinks.

But either way, I probably wouldn't have purchased it anyway. The censorship just made it an easier decision.
Old 12-15-03, 01:10 AM
Cool New Member

I wrote SNK NeoGeo US Consumer Corp. a big long email on why I think their self censorship is such a bad idea, and to my great surprise I got a reply back for the president of the company, Ben Herman (on a Sunday even). All he said was thanks for the letter, but it's good to know my voice was heard that far up the chain and that they're listening.

I wrote a letter to SNK Playmore too, but I imagine my chances of getting a reply from them is a lot less (then agian I wasn't exspecting a reply of SNK US either).

So I recomend any of you with any interest in these games write letters to them as well. It can only help.
Old 12-15-03, 09:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Censored.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.