DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Just Got My NES Running Again! Suggest Your MUST HAVE Titles (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/333509-just-got-my-nes-running-again-suggest-your-must-have-titles.html)

jessecrx 12-03-03 05:29 PM

Just Got My NES Running Again! Suggest Your MUST HAVE Titles

I got a new connector in my NES, and I would like to start collecting games....preferrably the cream of the crop!

Can you guys please make suggestions on which titles to choose?? When I go to GameStop I see TONS of games and I don't know which ones to buy.

Only the greats please :) Any genre....action, shooter, rpg, fighting, sidescroller...etc Its all good :)

Gizmo 12-03-03 05:37 PM

Any Mario
Zelda
Metroid
MC Kids
Mega Mans
Tiny Toons
Chip N Dale
Kirby
Ducktales

costanza187 12-03-03 05:40 PM

Super Mario 3!

Jeremy517 12-03-03 05:43 PM

Battle of Olympus
* Battletoads
Castlevania
Castlevania II
Castlevania III
Contra
Crystalis
Kid Icarus
Legend of Zelda
* Legend of Zelda II: Adventures of Link
Metroid
Star Tropics
Super Mario Bros 1
Super Mario Bros 2
Super Mario Bros 3

* Avoid if you don't like high difficulty games

flashburn 12-03-03 05:52 PM

River City Ransom...best...nes...game....EVAR!! It is however coming out again on GBA (I think it is different though).

Nazgul 12-03-03 06:41 PM

Super Tecmo Bowl
Mike Tyson's Punch Out!!!!
Megaman 2,3

dancinns 12-03-03 06:46 PM

Maniac Mansion
Dr. Mario
Tetris
Bubble Bobble
Excitebike
Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game

jw2299 12-03-03 06:53 PM

Excitebike
SMB 3
the first Zelda
Faxanadu

jessecrx 12-03-03 07:15 PM

I picked up:

River City Ransom
Super Dodge Ball
Double Dragon
Bubble Bobble
Mega Man 2
Mighty Final Fight

I am making a list of all these other titles :)

edytwinky 12-03-03 09:28 PM

Picking out good NES games to buy is like choosing which chip to eat out of a bag. They're all good.

jessecrx 12-03-03 10:25 PM

Originally posted by edytwinky
Picking out good NES games to buy is like choosing which chip to eat out of a bag. They're all good.
That's odd. I hear there are alot of really bad NES games and only a few really good ones.

Randy Miller III 12-04-03 12:12 AM

I'd suggest also the first Final Fantasy, or the Dragon Warrior series (#1-4, although 3 and 4 are sort of rare). Another awesome and overlooked adventure/RPG was Crystalis (already mentioned above). It was waaay ahead of its time, IMO.

For sports games, you can't go wrong with Tecmo Super Bowl, Super Spike V-Ball, Double Dribble, Super Dodge Ball, or RBI Baseball (the first one, with the big heads!).

Other than that, what everybody else said. :)

Tigger 12-04-03 01:56 AM

Golgo 13
Deja Vu
Shadowgate
Baseball Simulator 1.000
Baseball Stars

edytwinky 12-04-03 02:39 AM

Originally posted by jessecrx
That's odd. I hear there are alot of really bad NES games and only a few really good ones.
Honestly there are a ton of bad games. But there are also of ton of good games. Many of which can be found at a cheap price

PixyJunket 12-04-03 07:50 AM

http://pixyjunket.digitalcrap.net/pics/dopebeats.jpg

I still don't know if my "old faithful" survived the fire. :( :(

Kromax 12-04-03 07:55 AM

Tyson
Tetrus (IMHO the best version EVER released)
Kid Icarus
Contra
Metroid
Zelda (1)
Mario 3

bigsoos 12-04-03 09:00 AM

Mike Tyson's Punchout
River City Ransom
Kid Icarus
Contra
Metroid
Legend of Zelda
Super Mario 3
Super Dodgeball
Double Dragon

mrglass 12-04-03 09:40 AM

You can't go wrong with Rambo and Totall Recall!

But, seriously:

Metal Gear
Ninja Gaiden
Ikari Warriors
Bionic Commando
Contra
The Castlevania that has the subtitle "Simon's Quest" (part II?)

josepotato 12-04-03 09:51 AM

Here's a few I like.

Super Spike V'Ball
Battletoads
Baseball Stars
Mighty Final Fight
Kirby
Prince of Persia
Werewolf
Tecmo Super Bowl
Bart vs. The World

glasschicken 12-04-03 10:51 AM

Super Dodge Ball!!!

PixyJunket 12-04-03 11:09 AM

Originally posted by glasschicken
Super Dodge Ball!!!
Yes!! ..and Super Spike V'Ball with the 4 player adapter. :up:

jessecrx 12-04-03 01:37 PM

I found Metroid......Damn this game is tough!

I also found 2 versions of Tetris. One is in a grey case, and the other is in a funny black case. Is there a difference??

What were the best games to use with the "zapper?" The light gun. All I ever had was Duck Hunt.

Oh, and the same thing for Punch Out. Is there a difference between Punch Out and Mike Tyson's Punch Out?

I'll keep a look out for than NES 4 Player Adapter.

I came across alot of strange stuff for the NES. A beat up old Robot(in pieces and in very bad shape), a controller called "Nes Max" and another called "advantage." The advantage looked kinda cool but the stick itself had too much play...it wouldnt return to the center after moving it left or right...so I passed them up.

PixyJunket 12-04-03 01:39 PM

DUDE IF YOU FOUND THE BLACK CASE VERSION OF TETRIS (BY TENGEN) GET IT POSTHASTE!!

It's super freakin' rare and much better than the Nintendo version, mostly due to 2 player support.

BTW.. I can beat Metroid in 70 minutes getting every item.. less than an hour if I skip stupid out of the way missles.

PixyJunket 12-04-03 01:40 PM

No difference in Punch Out/Mike Tyson except the last boss you fight, which is only a graphical difference.

jessecrx 12-04-03 02:37 PM

Originally posted by PixyJunket
DUDE IF YOU FOUND THE BLACK CASE VERSION OF TETRIS (BY TENGEN) GET IT POSTHASTE!!

It's super freakin' rare and much better than the Nintendo version, mostly due to 2 player support.

BTW.. I can beat Metroid in 70 minutes getting every item.. less than an hour if I skip stupid out of the way missles.

Its at a garage sale. I'll go back and pick it up. It was only a dollar too.

70 mins to beat Metroid? Wow! The only game I am really really good at is Double Dragon for the NES. I know that game inside and out!