DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,025 Posts
Mario Kart ONLINE

I didn't see this posted. Apologies if it's duped:
------------------

From IGN

Mario Goes Online
Thanks to Warp Pipe.

November 25, 2003 - Last month, GameCube Advanced broke the news on an underground movement led by Chad Paulson to get LAN enabled Nintendo titles playing online. Chad and the Warp Pipe team have been hard at work optimizing their tunneling project (which fools the GameCube into thinking it's on a local area network when it's actually online.
When we last reported, Warp Pipe was still in alpha testing,

Now, Warp Pipe has managed to get Mario Kart running online at full speed with their private build. Testing took place between Chad in Berwyn, IL and his friend in Bloomington, IN. The connection speeds were a respective 256kbps and 128kps. Although the Warp Pipe's test was successful it is important to note that this trial was between the two closest parties in the project (approx. 250 miles) and that trials over longer distances are not as successful (although playable).

The Warp Pipe team is hard at work preparing a quality beta for testing. The original requirements are a PC and GameCube with broadband connector sharing a router network. The Warp Pipe team has begun testing builds that don't require a router, and have had successful tests with a hub/switch directly connected to the internet, two PC network cards, USB cable modem and a PC network card, NAT (DSL/cable router), and a NAT and hub/switch. Along with their hopes to optimize Mario Kart: Double Dash!! and other LAN enabled Nintendo titles like 1080: Avalanche and Kirby Air Ride for online play, they also hope to port Warp Pipe to OSX and create a region free build.

When we asked for an official statement on the Warp Pipe Project, Chad Paulson responded, "I would like to emphasize that your ping to the person you plan on playing is a very important factor when determining speed. A ping of 40ms or lower, with an upload rate of 128kbps or higher should produce results seen in the video when playing Mario Kart: Double Dash on Warp Pipe. Kirby Air Ride will also be supported, but the bandwidth requirements for that game will be higher, although they have yet to be determined."

"Since peer to peer gaming carries many factors with it, results may very, but we feel confident that our beta product will be able to weather the storm of latency that is the internet. Even thought beta will require you to enter someone's IP address to connect, and carry the same interface as our alpha application, we look forward to releasing a feature-rich 1.0 application that will allow you to login to a central server to meet and play others in the beginning of 2004."

Although we pestered the Warp Pipe Project for an official release date, Chad's said was, "Although we do, indeed, have a date in mind to release beta, we are not releasing that information to the public. We have made it know that it will be out by the end of the year."

If you need to see Mario Kart online to believe it, Chad has provided IGNcube with an exclusive movie of he (in Illinois) and his fellow team member (based in Indiana) playing the Yoshi Circuit. Check it out in our media pages. For more info on the Warp Pipe Project, click here.

IGNcube will have more on the Warp Pipe Project when the beta goes live.
-----------------------
Old 11-26-03, 02:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Odd - I was wondering why when I got Mario Kart in the mail yesterday it said on the back "Broadband"...
Old 11-26-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nintendo thinks there are more people that have multiple Gamecubes and multiple TVs big enough to handle 4 player split screen than people that have the internet.
Old 11-26-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 901 Likes on 665 Posts
I've been waiting for this to happen. After XBConnect, I thought this would be just around the corner. Now I may have a reason to buy a broadband adapter for my GC.
Old 11-26-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The bandwidth requirements are pretty steep at the moment, hope they can get that down a bit.
Old 11-26-03, 02:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I dont see why Nintendo couldnt put the extra effort into making it playable on the internet peer to peer.. It seems it woudl be more effort to not do this and constantly explain why you arent.
Old 11-26-03, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by rfduncan
Odd - I was wondering why when I got Mario Kart in the mail yesterday it said on the back "Broadband"...
Yeah, I saw that too, though the instructions say it's only LAN compatible which is why these guys are trying to work around it. I was going to try it with a VPN to someones house and see how that works, just need to find someone with appropriate hardware to do it with.