Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Black Friday EB sale

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-03, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The free PotC GBA game is only for purchasing a regular GBA, not an SP. But I did trade in my old GBA and 3 games, walked out with an onyx SP for $30! (I also traded in about 5 GBA rechargeables and lights for a pittance. If I had known how little they offer, I definitely would've given them away locally.)

BTW, I got all of my BF items, and all my BF shopping (RS, CC, EB) was done by about 8:45, started at 7, all on foot, had an online break in the middle, with no hassles. I could go to BB too (it's 2 blocks away) but no sale there interested me. Sometimes living in NYC has its advantages!
Old 11-28-03, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Damn it i wish i had an EB near me

Super Mario Sunshine and Resident Evil for $25

Old 11-28-03, 09:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I couldn't find any decent games at the new eb, don't even want to waste my time to go to the one in the mall. They have the deal online but there's only luigi's mansion and SSBM for GCN titles
Old 11-28-03, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got Midway Arcade Treasures in the Greatest Hits deal. The clerk let me have it even though it wasn't technically a greatest hits title.
Old 11-28-03, 10:15 AM

The EB near me didn't have any good Greatest Hits or Player's Choice games. I wanted to get Metroid Prime and Mario Sunshine, but it turns out they weren't included in the deal. Then I was thinking about picking up Tekken Tag, Silent Hill 2, or Metal Gear Solid 2, and they didn't have any of those for PS2. I ended up buying the 9.99 Tekken 4 and Kingdom Hearts and Jak and Daxter, but I ended up returning Jak and Daxter later. So it ended up being a good deal for Kingdom Hearts and Tekken 4.
Old 11-28-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Thanks to the OP for the deal.

Traded in 4 crappy old PS2 games and my ugly-ass pink GBA (which was $40 new from Overstock anyway)
Got:
Splinter Cell (Xbox)
Virtua Fighter 4 Evo
Platinum GBA SP
and
free Pirates of the Carribean (GBA)

for $45 + tax out of pocket

Old 11-28-03, 12:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You got the Pirates game when you bought an SP? The guy in my local EB said it was only for the regular GBA. Let me know--I'll go back!
Old 11-28-03, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,226 Posts
Yes I did. There was no problem at all. The coupon says free with purchase of a GBA system. There was no exclusion.
Old 11-28-03, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by drmoze
The free PotC GBA game is only for purchasing a regular GBA, not an SP. But I did trade in my old GBA and 3 games, walked out with an onyx SP for $30! (I also traded in about 5 GBA rechargeables and lights for a pittance. If I had known how little they offer, I definitely would've given them away locally.)

BTW, I got all of my BF items, and all my BF shopping (RS, CC, EB) was done by about 8:45, started at 7, all on foot, had an online break in the middle, with no hassles. I could go to BB too (it's 2 blocks away) but no sale there interested me. Sometimes living in NYC has its advantages!
Hey drmoze, which EB did you go to? The one on 4th St and Broadway was pretty much empty at 7AM, just me and two other people. Max Payne 2 is MINE!

Jeremy
Old 11-28-03, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Figure, I'll ask this here. Is there a difference between an Electronics Boutique and an EB Games store?

I ask because I noticed a few weeks ago they were building an EB Games near me, so I decided to swing by there today to see if it was open. Sure enough it was open but they didn't have any sales. No signs, no flyers, employee knew nothing. So I go to the Electronic Boutique and they had the flyers at the desk and displays about the sale.

So, is there a difference between the stores? It kinda sucks since the EB Games is a hell of a lot closer to me than Electronic Boutique.
Old 11-28-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The EB Games I went to at 7AM knew nothing of any trade-in deal or GBA trade-in special. I was livid. We left with nothing - not even the 2 for $25 XBox Plat Hits I planned on getting. Just as we were about to go home for the day (9AM or so), I asked my wife if we could hit the EB at the mall and double check. Luckily, they actually had the ad there, even though the sales guy had no clue about the deals. I ended up not doing the GBA trade-in and I guess we'll just sell it. If the first store had a clue, we woulda bought the GBA SP and some games.
Old 11-28-03, 05:45 PM

I went to EB this morning to get 2 Gamecube platinum titles for $25. The EB employee told me that only the $19.99 titles qualified. He wouldnt even let me get Super Smash Brothers Melee and its pictured in the ad itself! So I ended up getting Luigis Mansion amd Starfox Adventures for $25. I'm surprised and quite jealous that many of you were able to get away with purchasing Super Mario Sunshine, SSBM, Metroid, Animal Crossing, and other platinum hits that retail for more than $20. Great deal.
Old 11-28-03, 07:42 PM

I think EB's sale was great. I traded in 10 games that had cost me a total of $56 and got:

Tenchu 2 $10
Animal Crossing and Super Smash Brothers $25
Sonic Battle 2 and Pikmin $25

...and still have $40 left in EB credit. The manager at EB said anything with the Player's Choice/Greatest Hits/Platinum Hits logo qualified for the sale, including the GTA Double Pack for PS2!! I already have both of those so I didn't get it.

I then went to Best Buy and got two copies of Simpsons Season 1 for $12 each. Finally, I went to Circuit City for their unadvertised/non-Black Friday game clearance and got:

Gungrave $10 (surprised they still had this in stock)
Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter $10
Rayman 3 GBA $10
Tony Hawk 4 GBA $10
Old 11-28-03, 09:04 PM

I also didn't have any competition in the store except for one mom that was buying stuff for her kid and didn't have a clue as to what she was buying the sales guy had $$$'s in his eyes. It was about 9:30.
Old 11-28-03, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I went to the EB on 14th by Union Sq. Pretty empty but no PotC. I will call tomorrow & try to get it... got my receipt
Old 11-29-03, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
I'm really shocked that some the EB stores you guys visited knew nothing of the sales advertised. We've been preparing for this sale for the past couple days, so their was no excuse for that. Sorry.

I got a great deal on some pre-owned games. We had a early bird sale "Buy 2 pre-owned games & get 1 free". Since it all goes by automatically in the computer, I was surprised to find out that it didn't take out the cheapest item, but rather one of the more expensive ones. I got Need For Speed: Underground and Kill: Switch along with a Madden 01 (cheapest game I could find) for only $48 after my GMR discount. I think I made out pretty damn good.

I thought it was pretty cool how you could buy 2 $30 games for Gamecube and only pay $25 for both. Definetty an error by EB since on the flyer it said only $19.99 games apply, but they showed Smash Brothers which was $29.99.
Old 11-29-03, 03:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

My EB was cluelless, when I asked what GC games qualified they did not know. I tried to get a few that were 29.99. It was a no go. Then when i decided to finally pick p Luigi's Mansion They only had one copy. Very dissappointed in shopping experience. The deal was OK, Luigi and Pikmin for the wife, but it was way to much work, wait and trouble.
Old 11-29-03, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally posted by Decker
More info than I really needed, nick.

I just noticed that typo, and this is 2 days after I posted it
Old 11-29-03, 01:18 PM

My EB was out of Tenchu when I got there, at 7:15 . They said they only got like 3 copies in. I did get Max Payne 2 and a free dozen of krispy kreme donuts
Old 11-29-03, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
I got Max Payne 2 for $19.99 but forgot all about Gungrave.
Old 11-29-03, 08:08 PM

I traded in Metal Gear Solid 2 and Bass Strike for Super Monkey ball and Starfox adventures.

Great deal. Thanks to the original poster
Old 11-29-03, 09:18 PM

I traded the following in
GC - Jedi Outcast ($10 at BB)
GC - Clone Wars ($10 at BB)
PS2 - Hypersonic ($5 at BB)
PS2 - Wild Arms 3 ($10 at BB)
PS2 - Jak & Daxter ($20 at BB)
PS2 - Maximo ($10 at BB)

for a total of $70 credit (got $20 for Jedi Outcast). Didn't spend any, so I have a $70 gift card burning a hole in my pocket.

Picked up Tekken 4 for $10 (gonna return it though) and MP2 for $20 (gonna try to make some $$$ on this one either by ebay or any store willing to give some store credit for it)

They didn't have any Tenchu 2 at any of the EB's in the area, but surprisingly enough, it was available online for $9.99 w/ no tax & free shipping, so I got myself one of those.

Overall, a pretty decent sale I think.