Old 11-21-03, 04:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metal Arms:Glitch in the System GS&IGN reviews

Gamespot MA:GitS gamespace

Score 8.3 GC,Xbox platforms
*edit Score 8.2 for PS2
Rated best on Xbox

Last paragraph
Metal Arms: Glitch in the System is a much better action game than you might expect just from judging it by its unassuming main character. If you can appreciate the visual style (which is contrasted by adult language and imagery), and you can handle the cycle of frustration and repetition easily, you'll find a surprisingly deep combat experience in the game. Anyone looking for an intense and rewarding shooter should give Metal Arms a try.

By Brad Shoemaker
IGN review

Score 8.3 all 3 platforms
GC versions linked

Closing Comments
Metal Arms has unfortunately not received the attention it deserves of gamers. But if you're reading this review still, take notice because this is a surprisingly well-made action-shooter with a lot of heart. The game successfully merges a light-hearted storyline with some seriously intense combat, a good measure of strategy and a fun multiplayer mode. Oh, and the weapons in this title are downright awesome, especially the tether control device.
There are some notable drawbacks, yes. The control may be too loose for its own good and the game sometimes runs on the frustrating try-die-and-try-again design philosophy. But overall the experience is very entertaining and satisfying.

So with that in mind if you're looking for a smart, funny and unexpectedly deep action title with destruction and carnage at every corner, Metal Arms has got it in spades.

Recommended.

-- Matt Casamassina

Last edited by Galanthas; 11-21-03 at 08:08 PM.
Old 11-21-03, 04:28 PM

I picked up this game this week. Just on the second level now. Control is a little loose, but not a big deal. I'm kinda disappointed in the graphics though. The robots and droids are all animated quite well and very detailed. However, I notice some framerate drop in a number of areas. In addition, I also notice tearings in the graphics during a fast pan. Other than these little gripes, I'm enjoying this game!

Thong
Old 12-03-03, 09:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So far I am having a blast with this game. It is a ton of fun, and the robots are pretty damn funny. I think I am on the 5th mission right now.
Old 12-03-03, 12:18 PM

Thing T, on what system?
Old 12-03-03, 01:01 PM

Xbox.
Old 12-03-03, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Screwed and Hosed!
Old 12-03-03, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
I don't like the texture work in the game, but am otherwise happy w/ the game (the rock textures in particular, are hideous.)
Old 12-03-03, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, the graphics might not be the greatest, but it sure is a blast to play. The animation is great also. After I turned down the sensitivity for the aiming the controls felt alot better as well.
Old 12-10-03, 05:05 PM

The official http://www.metalarms.com/home.html website has a 13 track MP3 soundtrack you can download from the game. Mostly music, some dialogue mixed in. It's under the News section on the site, first story. It's 52.9 mb also.

Just started playing the game again and forgot how much it kicks my ass heh. I've been playing Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy,finished it 18 hourish play time, if you like Zelda and wanted a jump button you need to buy/play Sphinx. Quite a bit more puzzle solving than you normally find as well it seemed.
Old 01-25-04, 01:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Having a great time with this. I'm having to replay some parts quite a bit, but I haven't been stuck too long most of the time. Nice long levels.

However, I can't find a complete walkthrough at gamefaqs or anywhere else.

How do you turn off the water in the Morbot Central Reactor level? I've done everything I can in that central room with the waterfalls. Shot everything, broken everything. Can't figure it out. Do I need to move the hovercraft anywhere? I tried picking up that thing in the water, but nothing happened.

thanks.
Old 01-25-04, 09:14 AM
Banned

Any cheat codes yet?
Old 01-25-04, 02:32 PM

Originally posted by Tuan Jim
Having a great time with this. I'm having to replay some parts quite a bit, but I haven't been stuck too long most of the time. Nice long levels.

However, I can't find a complete walkthrough at gamefaqs or anywhere else.

How do you turn off the water in the Morbot Central Reactor level? I've done everything I can in that central room with the waterfalls. Shot everything, broken everything. Can't figure it out. Do I need to move the hovercraft anywhere? I tried picking up that thing in the water, but nothing happened.

thanks.
It's been some time since I completed the game so this info may be wrong . It sounds like maybe you have to pick up that thing with the hovercrafts pinchers and place it over hole with the flowing water, or some round platform in the water. My memory is quite sketchy so I'm most likely wrong though.
Old 01-25-04, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Galanthas
It's been some time since I completed the game so this info may be wrong . It sounds like maybe you have to pick up that thing with the hovercrafts pinchers and place it over hole with the flowing water, or some round platform in the water. My memory is quite sketchy so I'm most likely wrong though.
Yeah I figured it out -- don't know why it didn't work the first time I tried it. Kinda irritating. Also it was frustrating in the level with Slosh -- somehow I couldn't jump out of one of the holes at the end the first few times -- finally it worked double jump -- then jump again from some weird point -- not very clear at all.
Old 01-27-04, 10:32 AM
Cool New Member

Have completed the game, but am having problems getting all the chips. I have located only 63. Anyone else having trouble finding them all?
Old 01-27-04, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They don't seem so obvious on some levels. Like trying to get to the ruins -- with the RAT -- not many hidden areas, but I still only got 2 out of 4.

Also, have you beaten the speed times for each level yet?
Old 01-27-04, 01:43 PM
Cool New Member

have speed chips for only 5 levels, so far...
Old 02-08-04, 12:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Finally finished!!! Man, there are some *really* difficult, frustrating parts, but overall a very rewarding game. It's great having a shooter with so many interesting levels and variation in play style -- a nice long shooter to boot.

Definitely worth the $$$. Highly recommended if you have a high difficulty tolerance. The level where you're protecting droid town from invaders really had me stumped for a while. Gave it a week or so and it came a lot better.

Not sure what to try next. maybe Island Thunder.

btw. after beating it, you can watch their E3 2001 concept video -- nice extra.
Old 02-17-04, 11:44 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Did anyone notice the game getting kind of buggy at the end and freezing up at certain spots? It didn't happen until the last levels and didn't happen at all anywhere else.
Old 02-17-04, 01:19 PM

I never had any bugs/freezes with the Gamecube version.
Old 02-18-04, 10:38 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had the game lock up on me one time. I was just about to clear a level and just before I got to the end a few robots appeared. I was low on health so I just ran like a wuss. The game locked before it could auto save. I'm not sure what happened to it. It wasn't a dirty disc because i keep all my games and DVDs in pristine condition.
I later replayed the level and after taking out the last few guys I had no problems. I don't know what caused it but I know what I think caused it but video aren't that picky....are they?

This really is a great game and I agree it isn't talked about near enough. I've only got to play a small amount of multiplayer but that was also a real treat. I'm very glad I picked this one up. I almost passed it up thinking I didn't need another shooter but I'm glad I still picked it up.
Old 02-28-04, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,077 Likes on 652 Posts
I finished this game last night & I just wanted to recommend it to anyone looking for a new good game for 30 bucks or less. I played the Xbox version and other than some minor graphics problems here & there, the game was great. It was probably the most fun I have had on a shooter since Halo.

There are lots of levels and a good bit of gameplay variety. There are some very difficult levels and some that really make you think instead of just fun & gun the whole time.

I also loved the variety of weapons. The "friend" grenade and control tether were lots of fun! Highly recommended!