Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy GS&IGN reviews

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-03, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy GS&IGN reviews

Game is available on all 3 platforms, links are to GC version reviews.

Gamespot review

Score 8.2 Rated best on Gamecube, available on all 3 platforms.

Last paragraph
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy strikes a great balance between its fantasy and Egyptian-history-based elements to create a world that is rich with character, color, and originality, and its unique method of puzzle-solving makes it an easy recommendation to any fan of the genre. Topping it all off are its superb graphics, which really hammer home the overall level of quality to be found in the game. Although it is certainly not devoid of flaws, Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy is a great game that any action adventure fan should not pass up.

By Alex Navarro

IGN review

Score 8.5

Closing Comments
Sphinx and the Cursed Mummy is a fun, challenging action- adventure that I can easily recommend. This is actually a fairly well balanced title that, like Zelda, serves up a semi-non-linear experience complete with huge worlds to explore, difficult and satisfying puzzles, entertaining weapon and item advancements, and more, and it's all very much on the same epic scale as Nintendo's franchise. Did I mention it's easy on the eyes?
There are some problems here, too. The game can start off a bit slow. There are some tedious fetch quests. The battle system, without a lock-on camera, feels malfunctioned. The level load times occasionally disrupt the action. And the glaring lack of voice dialogue definitely hurts overall presentation.

But all said and done the good far, far outweighs the bad and Sphinx is one of the better action-adventures you can pick up this holiday.

Recommended.

-- Matt Casamassina
Old 12-01-03, 12:05 PM

Picked up the PS2 version(which I didn't want) today at Target for 26.37 since the PS2 version is on sale this week for 29.88. Target also has a $5 printable coupon you can use as well to get it for 24.88+tax, coupon below.

Target Game Coupons

I feel slightly dirty though, I don't usually *scam* if you want to call it that, companies. I originally wanted the GC version but it's not on sale at Target, so I took the PS2 version I purchased at Target to Wal-Mart and exchanged it for the GC one. It was still sealed so I hope they actually sell the PS2 version I gave them, although I'm not sure if they do that with exchanged products.
Old 12-02-03, 12:11 AM
Banned

Cube version it will be mine.
Old 12-02-03, 08:16 PM

Gamecube version is listed as $19.99 at Target. It's been out of stock at that price until today.

It's more than likely a misprice but they still might honor it.