Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Old school gamers and inept Madden Players, look out! Here comes Tecmo Bowl

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 11-19-03, 01:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long considered the "gold standard" for football games, it looks like Tecmo Bowl is being resurrected for mobile gaming. For those of you unwilling or unable to read defenses or avoid the blitz on Madden or ESPN football, this games for you.

http://www.gamespot.com/all/news/news_6083872.html
Old 11-19-03, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That would so rock if it was the same NES game with updated (and updatable) rosters.
Old 11-19-03, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Old school gamers and inept Madden Players, look out! Here comes Tecmo Bowl

Originally posted by finbogg
For those of you unwilling or unable to read defenses or avoid the blitz on Madden or ESPN football, this games for you.
Okay that has got to be the stupidest comment in DVDTalk history.

Readers cant tall that finbogg isnt a Sega mark or anything.

I hate to break it to him, but those of us raised on a NES didnt get Madden at the same time you did. Tecmo Bowl and Super Tecmo Bowl bring back great memories of childhood.

Just because you believe someone is unwilling or unable to do something you prefer makes them less than you? How about the fact that some people liked the arcade style of the game. NFL Blitz ring a bell?

And Im sorry, but when I can hold my opponents (in Super Tecmo Bowl and Super Tecmo Bowl III) to zero (0) points and negative total yards for a season, Ive done pretty well "reading" an offense or defense.

Last edited by retihsuhnt; 11-19-03 at 02:30 PM.
Old 11-19-03, 02:25 PM

Yeah, I must agree, I still perfer arcade sports to sim sports. I mean, basketball is fun on the court, and the closest thing to it is a fast paced arcade style game..

Having a shot or a pass take near a minute is just gah.

The same goes for football, the times I have played with people all I know is

tackle guy with ball

run to end zone

pass when needed

Arcade games do that, without having to deal with blue 39 red 63 hut thunder side nickel long shot or whatever these plays are called
Old 11-19-03, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They need to put this game out on the GBA. Screw playing it on phone.
Old 11-19-03, 06:02 PM

Re: Re: Old school gamers and inept Madden Players, look out! Here comes Tecmo Bowl

Originally posted by retihsuhnt

I hate to break it to him, but those of us raised on a NES didnt get Madden at the same time you did. Tecmo Bowl and Super Tecmo Bowl bring back great memories of childhood.

Just because you believe someone is unwilling or unable to do something you prefer makes them less than you? How about the fact that some people liked the arcade style of the game. NFL Blitz ring a bell?

And Im sorry, but when I can hold my opponents (in Super Tecmo Bowl and Super Tecmo Bowl III) to zero (0) points and negative total yards for a season, Ive done pretty well "reading" an offense or defense.
Calm down there buddy, I dont think he meant anything bad by it. I happen to be one of those people who cant handle madden, mainly because I dont want to take the time to learn it. Would be nice if we could get a Tecmo Bowl on ps2 or xbox,mmmmmmm, such fun times that would bring.
Old 11-19-03, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 395 Likes on 296 Posts
You people crack me up. What is to learn? You just play football. Change the difficulty setting if you don't understand the plays. It's not that difficult

Old 11-19-03, 06:57 PM

Re: Re: Old school gamers and inept Madden Players, look out! Here comes Tecmo Bowl

Umm yeah dude, that was kind of meant to be a joke. A lot of people on this forum have complained about the latest wave of football games being too hard and too much geared to simulation (knowing how to read a defense etc.). Usually in these threads people bring up their love of the old Tecmo Bowl and how you could throw 90+yard bombs etc. I was playing off of that. Relax.
Old 11-19-03, 07:01 PM

And if I understand this correctly you're implying that I didn't have an NES and grew up playing Sega Madden...then you're wrong. I played Temco Bowl plenty before Madden ever even came out.

Last edited by finbogg; 11-20-03 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-19-03, 08:20 PM
Banned

Originally posted by nickdawgy
Change the difficulty setting if you don't understand the plays. It's not that difficult

Or if you are like me and like to see your RB rack up a couple thousand yards per game on rookie level.
Old 11-19-03, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Tecmo Bowl was the original. Joe Montant Sports Talk Football '93 (or was it '94) paid homage to tecmo bowl in one of the "views." There was an overview screen that looked like tecmo bowl....it went left to right.

This is like comparing Blades Of Steel to NHL '94+. They are totally different games. The fighting in Blades of Steel was WAY better then in NHL 'XX.

-pedagogue
Old 11-19-03, 11:59 PM

Am I the only one that thought Super Tecmo Bowl was better than Tecmo Bowl? I could never stop playing that game. Tecmo should definately relase that as an old school disc with some other games.
Old 11-20-03, 01:12 AM
Cool New Member

I'm with Trigger... Super Tecmo Bowl is definately my favorite, although I have very little experience with the original Tecmo Bowl...

Anyway, I would definately be interested in getting this released, whether on GBA or on a compilation disc. Anything but my phone...
Old 11-20-03, 01:37 AM

Originally posted by nickdawgy
You people crack me up. What is to learn? You just play football. Change the difficulty setting if you don't understand the plays. It's not that difficult

I understand what youre saying, but lowering the difficulty level doesnt change the fact I still have to deal with picking plays and whatever other shenanigans Madden throws in there. I liked good old Tecmo Bowl, any play I picked, I could run my little man all the way to a touch down
Old 11-20-03, 05:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by menaz
I understand what youre saying, but lowering the difficulty level doesnt change the fact I still have to deal with picking plays and whatever other shenanigans Madden throws in there. I liked good old Tecmo Bowl, any play I picked, I could run my little man all the way to a touch down
Well Tecmo Bowl owned, there is no doubt about it, and yeah it was easy. Even though the plays were there, you either picked pass or run and that is what you did. Mostly with Bo Jackson and the Raiders

But I really don't understand the plays that much in ESPN or Madden. I just pick a run or pass and do my thing. Which, at a lower difficulty setting, is much easier to accomplish.

Old 11-20-03, 05:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by B.S.Preston,ESQ
Or if you are like me and like to see your RB rack up a couple thousand yards per game on rookie level.

Yeah, I know what you mean. There was a certain satisfaction about scoring 8 TD's in a game with my QB
Old 11-20-03, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Playing Super Tecmo Bowl in '95 was the last time I've ever been able to beat my friend at video game football. Bo Jackson was unstopable!

I wish they'd make a GBA version.