Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Final Fantasy XII (12)!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-03, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
From reading Gamestop's article it seems Airships will play a major role in this game. Hopefully that means you get to move it around the game world freely.

Gamespot
According to the game's developers, Final Fantasy XII's atmosphere is based on a mix of medieval Mediterranean countries, which is reflected on the game's buildings (their architecture) and the presence of different races, such as the Bangaas and Vieras (from Final Fantasy Tactics Advance). One of the unique elements of the game will be its atmosphere--including different languages that are spoken by the various races, as well as their unique set of prejudices (introducing the theme of social classes).
Sweet!

Gamespot
The music in Final Fantasy XII will be co-produced by Nobuo Uematsu and Hitoshi Sakimoto (Final Fantasy Tactics, Vagrant Story).

From 1UP's coverage
"there won't be any branching-path system in place", possibly making the game more freeform, which could be "a large (and welcome) step away from the very linear scenario design of past Final Fantasies."
Non-Linear=Good

After watching the trailer I'm definitely excited about this one. Still early though and I'm not too found of Vaan's character design but if the game plays as well as it looks I don't care what he looks like. Anyone catch one of the battles towards the end of the trailer that showed a party member that appeared to be a Viera holding a bow.....awesome!
Old 11-20-03, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Despite the rather uninspired look of the lead male character, the game iitself looks like it may be a winner in the making. I loved the airship concept art and wonder if they'd include airship battles in this game. That'd be sweet. The story sounds pretty good. Hopefully the final act wont resolve everything by just defeating some evil puppet master working everyone behind the scenes. I know that's to be expected but since overall it looks like the aim for Final Fantasy XII is to bring something truly unique to the table I'm hoping the plot and it's resolution is as unique to the series as hopefully the gamplay is promising to be.

In a weird way the little bit of story information that's been released reminds of the style and tone of the story of Final Fantasy VI. That is my favourite FF game so far. I wonder if this game might live up to its early potential and actually dethrown FFVI as my favourite.
Old 11-20-03, 02:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sounds pretty good! It actually looks a lot like Final Fantasy IX with all the different races of characters and especially in the scene when they show the city and all the airships are flying by, not to mention that Ashe is dressed as a princess, but it still looks pretty good. Besides, Vaan = teh hot!

You can tell Hitoshi Sakimoto had a lot of influence on the music of the game (at leats the music in the trailer), it sounds right out of Vagrant Story and Final Fantasy Tactics , which isn't a bad thing. Other than that the story seems interesting, can't wait for more info and the official movie release.
Old 11-20-03, 03:02 PM

Since this game is being done by those responsible for FF Tactics & Vagrant Story I'm hoping there will be a wide array of weapons, armor, helms, rings etc.. Personally I don't like being stuck with one weapon that you upgrade over the course of the game and a couple of accersory slots.

I'm wondering if they'll use the same concept in FFTA where you learned your abilites from the weapons/armor you equipped or something along those lines. Wouldn't surprise me.
Old 11-20-03, 03:14 PM
Banned

God I hate the character designs they look just like FFX and that looked just like FF8. I'm still looking forward to it maybe the changes they making will space things up. I do thank god for litting me move the camera around bout damn time square you're just about like 3 years lite on that one. I just hope they redo the battle system from the ground up.
Old 11-20-03, 03:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by TOPDAWG
God I hate the character designs they look just like FFX and that looked just like FF8. I'm still looking forward to it maybe the changes they making will space things up. I do thank god for litting me move the camera around bout damn time square you're just about like 3 years lite on that one. I just hope they redo the battle system from the ground up.

I was going to say something smarmy but you've already covered it in you sig.
Old 11-20-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

how do you equate FFX and FF8? They were nothing alike in terms or character design or art direction. One was industrial punk and the other was anything but that. One has super deformed characters and the other has ultra-lifelike ones. Please explain.

Anyways, IGN has a great Q&A from the press briefing. Interesting stuff.
Old 11-20-03, 04:14 PM

I think you might be referring to FFVII? FFVIII & FFX do have similar character designs. When you say 'industrial punk' and 'super deformed' I belive you're thinking of Cloud from FFVII.
Old 11-20-03, 04:42 PM

While the characters share similar features, I think the designs are different enough for me to not care. Vaan's in game model looks like something out of Vagrant Story rather than a previous Final Fantasy.
Old 11-20-03, 04:43 PM

Q: Can you comment on some of the equipment from the game and your possible role in designing it?

Minaba: I was not in charge of the design of any of the equipment - swords and shields, etc. That intertwines with the battle system so I can't say much, but there will be a lot of equipment.
I almost shed a tear when I read that.
Old 11-20-03, 06:32 PM

While the Nomura-inspired character designs are creating what looks like in-bred lovechilds of previous Final Fantasy games, I think the concept art for the airships and cities look fantastic. Here's hoping that magic isn't lost from the translation into the game.

Is this game set in the Final Fantasy Tactics or FFTA universe?
Old 11-20-03, 07:12 PM

The story for FFXII takes place in Ivalice which is the same world used in FFT and FFTA. Though this game takes place in a different time period than the previous two. The races in the game appear to be similar to the ones used in FFTA with the only difference being Humans are Humes, which come from FFXI. Who knows there may be other races yet to be introduced but from the trailer you can definitely see Bangaas and Vieras.
Old 11-20-03, 09:52 PM

They said the battles will be slower and more strategy based with lots of different equipment to use.

Battle shots in the teaser movie were carefully chosen to make it "appear" similar to previous FF game battles, but its actually quite different. Or so he says.

I'm pretty sure it looks like they are using magic in one of the battles in that video .
Old 11-20-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

That Q&A was interesting. The more I read up on this game the more exited I become.
Old 11-20-03, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Wish it looked like FF IX!
Old 11-21-03, 08:47 AM
DVD Talk Hero

It does and it doesn't. The overall look of Final Fantasy XII makes me think of a grown up Final Fantasy IX that must now coexist with obvious traces of the look and style of Final Fantasy X. Of course setting it in a Final Fantasy Tactics/Final Fantasy Tactics Advance setting was a good idea to not only establish the feel of the game but also set it appart from its PS2 predecesor.
Old 11-21-03, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Another developer Q&A from gamespot this time. They sort of hint that there may not be difference between that battle field and the motion field meaning that you may be able to see your enemies before fighting and go around them! I guess that would make sense if they are trying to emulate Vagrant story. That would be a big change for FF games though.
Old 11-21-03, 10:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

70% complete, eh? I can't wait to play this game! I haven't been this exited about a game in a very long time! Since this game is planned to be so different from the previous releases, I again repeat my hope for either a non-dubbed release or that the game include the option of choosing which audio option you prefer. Especially since it seems the Japanese voice actor for Vaan really had a lot to do with the finished character (apparantly the character was supossed to be super effeminate until the voice actor was cast and he not only lent his voice but did the mocap for the character).
Old 11-21-03, 11:26 AM

Well, you had the developer say 'It's pretty complete' and the Square spokesperson say '70%' yet they still anticipate a Summer 2004 release. This of course was probably done to allow them enough time to make sure the game was complete and nothing was left unfinished. So, we might actually see the game released sooner in Japan...I'm guessing the game will be released sometime between April & May. If this is the case then chances are the game will be released here, in North America, before the end of 2004.

Last edited by Setzer; 11-21-03 at 11:44 AM.
Old 11-21-03, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I hope you're right, Setzer! This one looks like it's gonna be sweet!
Old 11-24-03, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Anything new turn up? I need another FF fix.
Old 05-29-06, 03:07 PM

Here's a link to the trailer Square showed at E3 and was then aired on G4 TV. Quality is not great because some guy used his camcorder to record it from the TV. Probably the one thing that stood out for me was the voice acting. It's easily some of the best voice acting I've heard in a video game. I know it's only a few minutes but I'm impressed.

LINK
Old 05-29-06, 06:17 PM

i played through the two scenarios for FFXII on the demo disc included with DQVIII and it was pretty fun - they had a few FMVs segments as well, one of which i think was the trailer from before.
Old 06-04-06, 06:27 PM

I played the demo and I didnt like it. Im not one to play traditional RPGs and FFX was my first one. I loved that and its battle system but this one was too confusing for me and way too fast paced. Im sure I'll have to play it some more to get used to it, but it's going to take awhile.

One other thing I read is that the story isnt character driven and that its more of a political one. Basically there isnt really alot of character development and its more focused on the plot. That doesnt sound to good bc what I loved about FFX was the characters and I connected to each of them
Old 06-04-06, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Havok83
I played the demo and I didnt like it. Im not one to play traditional RPGs and FFX was my first one. I loved that and its battle system but this one was too confusing for me and way too fast paced. Im sure I'll have to play it some more to get used to it, but it's going to take awhile.

One other thing I read is that the story isnt character driven and that its more of a political one. Basically there isnt really alot of character development and its more focused on the plot. That doesnt sound to good bc what I loved about FFX was the characters and I connected to each of them
Wow, I'm the exact opposite of you on FFX. I thought the story sucked and I despised the sphere grid system they used for character advancement. I'm hoping FFXII will be better -- I liked what I saw in the combat system from the demo but it didn't really give you any idea on how character advancement worked.

From what I've heard and read about the story, it is a political struggle and you're trying to help the Princess, Ashe, get her Kingdom back. So, it's not a "save the world" sorta theme as used in previous FF games but it still sounds interesting. After watching the english voice trailer I'm really looking forward to playing this. We'll see what the end result is in October.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.