Reload this Page >

Qs about GCN controller's C-stick

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-23-03, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the GCN controller's C-stick analog or digital? Because I've been playing Metroid Prime lately, and the controls are driving me crazy. It's ridiculous that I can't move and look around at the same time. I feel like I'm a sitting duck every time I have to look up or down to aim at an enemy. Why wasn't the game made so that it uses dual analog sticks for movement control, like Halo and every other FPS game on consoles? Is it because the C-stick is not analog?
Old 10-23-03, 08:53 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's analog.
Old 10-23-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 378 Likes on 282 Posts
you'll get used to the controls, they bugged me at first but I adapted
Old 10-23-03, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's analog.

The reason it's not setup like that in Metroid Prime is because they wanted to keep the controls simple yet powerful, while retaining the feel of classic Metroid games. I feel they did an admirable job, however it was strange for me to play it at first to get used to the controls, and when I went back to play Unreal on Xbox I had to get used to that again.
Old 10-23-03, 09:32 AM

It's not a FPS like Unreal,HL or Halo, it just happens to use the perspective so it doesn't need precise aiming movements. The game has a lock on feature.
Old 10-23-03, 10:41 AM
Retired

Yep, the lock on feature negates the need to be able to look and move at the same time.

I loved it as I hate the First Person perserspective and I'm not coordianted enough to use two sticks to look and move at the same time.

The lock on feature negates this, and makes it feel more like an adventure game than a shooter, which is great as it keeps the game true to the series' roots.
Old 10-23-03, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I bought the game in March but never got around to playing it until last week. I've never played (or even seen) any of the other Metroid games, and I didn't read any of the hype or reviews or any threads related to this game on this forum. Basically, I went into the game with no expectations, other than knowing that it got 2002 Game of the Year from many publications. None of my friends even have a Gamecube yet.

It is a fun game. I like it a lot. The puzzles and boss battles so far are very intuitive (I'll usually figure out how to do something on my second or third try, & I haven't had to ask or look for help on FAQs yet). I'm now at the part where I have to go thru the Phazon mines and fight lots of space pirates. It's just kind of annoying to have to fight pirates that are either above or below me, and I have to stop dodging their fire in order to aim at them. It's really the only aspect of the game that bothers me - not being able to quickly aim at enemies above or below me.

The only other gripe I have about this game is the graphics. The texture detail is really poor. For example, walk up as close as possible to a tree in Halo. You can see the high texture detail in the bark of the tree. Do the same thing in Metroid Prime, and you see pixelated mess. But then again, the environments and textures are more varied in Metroid Prime also, so I guess that's a trade off.

Overall, I'm having a lot of fun with the game, but it's not blowing me away. Similar experience with Zelda Wind Waker - a fun game, but not mind blowing experiences. I've had much more fun times with other games on PS2 & Xbox. I guess I'm just not a big Nintendo gamer (having never playing console games at all until 2 yrs after PSX launched).
Old 10-23-03, 12:15 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Joshic
It's really the only aspect of the game that bothers me - not being able to quickly aim at enemies above or below me.
Just hit the L trigger until you lock onto the enemy you want to shoot, the auto target has a pretty decent range. I hardly ever manually aimed in the game.