History of Megaman feature at Gamespot

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-03, 03:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
History of Megaman feature at Gamespot

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6076983/p-1.html

First page only
By Christian Nutt and Justin Speer

In 1987 Capcom introduced what would prove to be one of its most popular characters worldwide - and despite what has been universally called the ugliest box art of all time, Mega Man began to catch on in the US, whose game market is decidedly different from Japan's. At the same time, Rockman was slipping onto Famicom systems in Japan - same blue underpants as Mega Man's but sporting a different name and a more attractive, or perhaps more marketable, cover. A robot built to fight for justice, Mega Man stood for intense, original action platforming on the Nintendo Entertainment System. True to form, Capcom has milked this series for all it's worth; it's a great one - and the company's most important pre-Street Fighter property.

In 1987 the NES was a hot commodity, and consumers flocked to the console in droves. Capcom, as a developer, was already prolific with the system and had a crop of excellent games (Ghosts 'n' Goblins, Trojan) under its belt by the time it released Mega Man. Victimized by arguably unattractive interpretive artwork (a fate that persisted for years to come), the game was a sort of low-key success. The true breakthrough would come with Mega Man 2.

Mega Man recently celebrated his 15th anniversary, and the Blue Bomber is showing no signs of giving up the fight for everlasting peace. Though the classic Mega Man line lies dormant, for now, the mega mythos continues to expand with a seventh game in the Mega Man X series, the now established alternate-reality Mega Man Battle Network titles on the Game Boy Advance, and the budding X-related spin-off series Mega Man Zero.

Join us as we take a look back at the myriad games of the Mega Man legacy, some of which, unfortunately, stayed in Japan and some of which, unfortunately, did not. The bulk of Mega Man's games were good, a few were great, and some we'd rather not discuss at length. There's still one thing they have in common--each is a part of Mega Man history.
Old 10-18-03, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Does anybody know if a Mega Man collection series game is coming out. I thought I hear that all MM games that appeared on nes and snes are being re-released in their original forms on ps2. I dont know if I was dreaming this or where it came from. Anybody hear anything?
Old 10-18-03, 01:30 PM

Originally posted by ElementZ
Does anybody know if a Mega Man collection series game is coming out. I thought I hear that all MM games that appeared on nes and snes are being re-released in their original forms on ps2. I dont know if I was dreaming this or where it came from. Anybody hear anything?
http://cube.ign.com/articles/437/437918p1.html
September 12, 2003 - Publisher Capcom Entertainment today announced that next February it will release Mega Man Anniversary Collection for GameCube and PlayStation 2. The title, which Capcom calls a celebration of the 15-year-running franchise, is a full-blown compilation of previous Mega Man titles.
Mega Man Anniversary Collection will feature Mega Man 1 through Mega Man 8 from the Nintendo Entertainment System, Super NES, Game Boy and PlayStation. The disc will also include two never-before-released-in-the-US Mega Man arcades games, Mega Man the Power Battle and Mega Man 2 the Power Fighters. Additionally, players will be able to unlock hidden content including original artwork, producer interviews, footage from the original television commercials, 30 minutes of anime videos, information about the franchise and more.

"The Mega Man Anniversary Collection pays tribute to the brainchild behind this multimillion unit selling franchise, Keiji Inafune, and the original games that he created," said Todd Thorson, director of marketing, Capcom Entertainment. "It gives gamers, who have not experienced the Mega Man phenomenon, an opportunity to play the titles that redefined the platform genre."
Old 10-18-03, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thanks for posting this. I've been a big fan of Mega Man but haven't played any one the newer ones in the last few years.
Old 10-18-03, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Yesssssss!!!!

Thanks for the info Gal. I knew I was not crazy. Mega Man 1-8 plus 2 unreleased games got me drooling for it in February. That will keep my busy for some time since from what I remember each Mega Man game for nes that I remember was freakin mega hard.

Good looking out.