Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamecube hard-drive?? (sorta)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-03, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gamecube hard-drive?? (sorta)

I wonder if this is nintendo's big announcement they promised earlier this year.
Old 10-16-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hmm... doesn't sound like any great shakes to me. Never had a space issue with my memory cards. Animal Crossing is the only hog and it came with its own card. I don't play any sports games...
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Like the PS2, I just don't think there's enough life in the machine to warrant this UNLESS.. all games that use memory cards currently would be able to use this device. (and it's inexpensive).
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah.. I've got 3/4 the space left on my 251..
Old 10-16-03, 02:55 PM
Retired

I've got 2 mem 59's, and I"m currently only using 1 of them.
Old 10-16-03, 03:04 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
The new device seems like overkill, but I don't know what you guys are doing. I have one 251 and three 59s and they are almost filled to capacity.
Old 10-16-03, 03:06 PM
Retired

I trade most games after beating them, thus I delete the saves. I'm also not playing any sports games or sims or animal crossing or other memory hogging games so I don't need most space.
Old 10-16-03, 04:24 PM

It is said each disk will hold 40 GB.
What do they need all that storage for? Are they planning to store entire game discs on it or something?
Old 10-16-03, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 52 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
Like the PS2, I just don't think there's enough life in the machine to warrant this UNLESS.. all games that use memory cards currently would be able to use this device. (and it's inexpensive).
My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-16-03, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

The rumor is further supported by the recent statement by Nintendo's president in which he claims that Nintendo has prepared a new product that will be surprising and unique, which will be announced this spring.
Hardly "surprising and unique" - perhaps "surprising" as in "I'm surprised they bothered to do that", but hardly unique. I hope this isn't the rumour they have been banging on about lately...

I'm hoping for something like, VIRTUAL REALITY GOGGLES...
Old 10-16-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm still waiting for that SD memory card adapter.

Actually, I only have 1 59 memory card and haven't run out of space on it yet, then again I guess I don't have THAT many games for the GC, at least no sports games.
Old 10-16-03, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by cheapskate
Hardly "surprising and unique" - perhaps "surprising" as in "I'm surprised they bothered to do that", but hardly unique. I hope this isn't the rumour they have been banging on about lately...

I'm hoping for something like, VIRTUAL REALITY GOGGLES...
Not to hi-jack my own thread, but wasn't there some talk of a 3-D display by Nintendo last year? I remember some people talking about it but then it sort of vanished....
Old 10-16-03, 05:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
The should have just released the SD card adaptor. This is silly and hardly anyone will buy an external storage drive. 40 GBs? For what?
Old 10-16-03, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Maybe they are porting Final Fantasy XI over to the Gamecube?
Old 10-16-03, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Where would this thing plug into? I assume it would have to connect to the hi-speed port, which is where the Game Boy Player goes if you have one of those. Are we going to have to remove the GBP to connect this drive?

I think this device could be good if it's used as something that really gets utilized in games as opposed to just a memory card replacement. I could see them making games like Morrowind, which require a ton of space to store every little detail in the game world that changes. Custom soundtracks would be nice too, but since the GC drive is too small there would have to be an interface where you could connect the peripheral to a PC and transfer MP3's. That would be even better than the XBox's method which requires you to put in CD's one at a time and wait for the tracks to be ripped and compressed for storage on the hard drive.
Old 10-17-03, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sports games would be the only reason to have a large storage space and 40 GB is certainly WAY more than even the biggest sports fan needs.

I have a 59 and a 251. The 59 in my Animal Crossing card and I've barely made a dent in my other card with my 6 or so other GC games I have.

I have all the tunes I want on my XBOX and would not need another HD for more tunes. Would be too hard trying to figure out what tune is on what system...especially if I bought a PS2 HD. And I think that is a waste this late in the life of the PS2.
Old 10-17-03, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 954 Likes on 662 Posts
Umm...this better not be the big announcement that we have to wait HALF A YEAR FOR. I don't have that much problems with memory either.

I agree that they should have just sold the SD adapter.