Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

First news on KOTOR 2 | Rebel X

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-03, 10:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
First news on KOTOR 2 | Rebel X

http://xbox.ign.com/articles/454/454215p1.html

The Force is strong with these two. First details!

October 10, 2003 - Welcome, welcome, welcome everyone! Boy, do we have some super-juicy Star Wars rumors for you today. Before reading the following the news, remember that none of the following information has been confirmed nor denied, but we can assure you that our sources have never been wrong before. They've come through on many, many occasions, and we'd say everything we're about to tell you is more than likely fact. So sit back and relax, and see how the Force is becoming one with the Xbox.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

KOTOR 2
No one can deny the significance of having Knights of the Old Republic exclusively (on consoles anyways) available for the Xbox. Not only is it one of the only RPGs for the big black behemoth, but it's one of the best RPGs to come out in recent memory on any console. And then there's the sales numbers. The game has not only experienced incredible sales, to the tune of 600,000 units and counting, but it's also lead to increased Xbox sales, however minor. System-selling quality indeed.

A logical action to take after such success is to start planning the game's successor, and apparently, KOTOR 2 is under development. A few sources have already reported that the sequel has been greenlighted for a late 2004 or early 2005 release, and that the game's storyline - which is to take place many years after KOTOR's --will include a completely new cast of characters. But what few people are aware of is that the game is not being developed internally at BioWare, but in Orange County at Obsidian Entertainment. (At least that's what we hear.)

What? Who's this Obsidian Entertainment? Never heard of them? Well, search back through the files in your skull and you may remember an announcement made by BioWare back in August. The company announced a commitment to collaborate on future PC and console titles with Obsidian. Here's a quick refresher:

"BioWare is currently in the fortunate position of having more attractive looking opportunities on the table than we're capable of implementing while staying true to our fans' expectations of a quality gaming experience. We think several of these opportunities have the potential for critical and commercial success and are interested in exploring ways in which BioWare can expand its capacity to bring these projects to market," said Dr. Greg Zeschuk, Joint CEO, BioWare Corp.

"BioWare is interested in establishing relationships with credible development studios that have the desire and capability to implement projects consistent with our quality expectations. Obsidian represents a perfect example of this strategy. We're very pleased to have the chance to work with teams which have a demonstrated track record of developing world class titles," commented Dr. Ray Muzyka, Joint CEO, BioWare Corp.

"A collaboration with BioWare gives Obsidian the opportunity to explore development projects on established game franchises with proven technology and brand loyalty from the fan community. This is an excellent opportunity for a new studio looking to make an immediate impact in the market," said Feargus Urquhart, CEO, Obsidian Entertainment, Inc.

For BioWare - a company with a very respectable track record - to hand over the next KOTOR game to another company, it would have to trust them unquestionably. Fortunately for Obsidian, BioWare does. Founded by five industry veterans who've worked on a number of well-known games including Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Fallout, MDK 2 and Planescape: Torment, BioWare has every reason to trust them, especially considering the number of BioWare titles in the development studio's resume.

Also indicative of the studio's work on KOTOR 2 is the quote from Urquhart where he mentions that Obisidian will be working on "…established game franchises with proven technology and brand loyalty from the fan community," and the company's website where it mentions that "Obsidian Entertainment is currently working on an unannounced role-playing game for PC and console systems." Though both BioWare and Obsidian Entertainment have only responded with "no comments," and have not confirmed nor denied this rumor, all clues point to Obsidian being the developer.

Rebel X
In other Star Wars-related news, we've heard that the Rogue Squadron trilogy of games (Rogue Squadron (N64), Rogue Leader (GCN), Rebel Strike (GCN)) is making its way to the 'Box in late 2004 to coincide with the DVD release of the first three movies (A New Hope, The Empire Strikes Back, Return of the Jedi). Referred to internally as "Rebel X," rumor has it that the three titles will be bundled together for one supreme Star Wars package. No word yet on any additions/enhancements to the titles, but anything's a possibility.

With the Rogue games being some of the GameCube's strongest titles, the end of exclusivity may spell trouble for Nintendo. We'd like to assume that the success of Star Wars games on the Xbox, especially KOTOR, has made Factor 5 rethink its current position and move on to better sales and a more profitable future. Does this spell the end of Star Wars game development on the GameCube? Not necessarily, but with support for Nintendo's console steadily declining we'd be surprised to hear of any new LucasArts games coming out for the system. Of course, this has little relevance to the next generation of consoles, but for the GameCube, Rebel Strike may be it.

We'll have much more on KOTOR 2 and Rebel X in the coming weeks, so keep your eyes peeled and you ears open.

Chris
Old 10-12-03, 10:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rebel X has been proven false

Julian Eggebrechet from Factor 5 posted on a german message board stating such.

Gamecube Europe message board
http://www.xsorbit1.com/users/cubeeu...num=1065951877

Post from Julian Eggbrechet in german
http://www.maniac.de/forum/pxmboard....1&msgid=530728

JULIAN: Was ist da dran?

Die "Meldung" ist ein Gerücht von IGN XBox. Wie ich schon öfter gesagt habe, entwicklen wir zur Zeit nur Technologie für die XBox und PS2. Solange der der Gamecube genügend Basis bietet, ziehen wir ihn den anderen beiden Plattformen definitiv als Ziel-Plattform für unsere Spiele vor. Es ist auch kein Geheimnis das wir es vorziehen, unsere Spiele exklusiv für eine Konsole zu entwicklen. Dieses Weihnachten wird sich zeigen, ob der Cube diese eine Konsole bleiben kann - ich habe da mit der Preissenkung die besten Hoffnungen.
Insofern werden wir Anfang nächsten Jahres sicher etwas klarer sehen.

Julian
Old 10-12-03, 11:17 AM

Sorry, it's all German to me!

Chris
Old 10-12-03, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Here's a translation:
JULIAN: There what is to? The "message" is a rumor of IGN XBox. As I said frequently, we at present only technology for the XBox and PS2 entwicklen. As long as that offers the Gamecube sufficient basis, we prefer him to the other two platforms definitely than goal platform for our plays. It is also no secret which we it prefers to entwicklen our plays exclusively for a console. This Christmas will show up whether the Cube can remain these a console - I have there with the price reduction best hopes.
To that extent we will see next yearly surely somewhat clearer to beginning.

Julian

So I think that pretty well clears everything up now.

Old 10-12-03, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
Oh, and I think that "entwicklen" is a typo of "entwickeln" which is German for the verb "to develop"
Old 10-12-03, 12:20 PM
Retired

Just the fact that Rebel X was to "coincide with the release of the original trilogy" proves it's false.

I'm glad there's a KOTOR 2 coming. I was hoping Jade Empire (the china dynasty setting game underway at bioware) wouldn't keep them from making this.
Old 10-12-03, 08:42 PM

Originally posted by mrpayroll
Sorry, it's all German to me!

Chris
I don't understand German either, but I figured someone would translate.
Old 10-12-03, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Re: First news on KOTOR 2 | Rebel X

Originally posted by mrpayroll
With the Rogue games being some of the GameCube's strongest titles, the end of exclusivity may spell trouble for Nintendo.
I love how EVERY little thing spells doom for nintendo.

You are talking about a game, RL1, that was on N64 6 years prior. RL2 will have been out 3 years for GC, and RL3 will have been out a year. You are talking about games that are past there selling prime, and system selling peak. I don't think it means a thing if it turns out true. Hardly the gloom and doom Xbox fans are hoping for.
Old 10-13-03, 07:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Re: First news on KOTOR 2 | Rebel X

Originally posted by Michael Corvin

You are talking about a game, RL1, that was on N64 6 years prior. RL2 will have been out 3 years for GC, and RL3 will have been out a year. You are talking about games that are past there selling prime, and system selling peak. I don't think it means a thing if it turns out true. Hardly the gloom and doom Xbox fans are hoping for.
I don't care about gloom and doom, I just want to be able to play the GC releases on my Xbox, so I don't have to spend the extra $100 on another console.

Jeremy
Old 10-13-03, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: Re: First news on KOTOR 2 | Rebel X

Originally posted by Michael Corvin
Can't have an article without some of their famous "award winning" nintendo is d00med IGN journalism (or lack there of) .
Old 10-13-03, 12:56 PM
Retired

Pretty pointless to argue since the Rogue game ports rumor was refuted.
Old 12-05-03, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^

Kaiser responds: I don't think you realize how much information we're privy to. Sometimes we just can't say anything; sometimes the information is leaked and we blow it out. Either way, we find out about things that you couldn't even dream of - like Rebel X. The reason you've only read about it only on IGN could be for a number of reasons. Perhaps other people who know (and they do, I asked) don't want to hurt anyone's feelings by writing about it. Perhaps they just aren't as special as we are and were not told the info. Whatever the case may be, the game is being developed whether you like it or not.
http://xbox.ign.com/mail.html

Jeremy
Old 12-05-03, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Old 12-05-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 40 Posts
Obsidian Entertainment is comprised of mostly former Black Isle Studios employees, including Chris Avellone, the guy who wrote and designed Planescape: Torment. I expect that the story for the KOTOR sequel will much more detailed than the first.
Old 12-05-03, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally posted by shizawn
Obsidian Entertainment is comprised of mostly former Black Isle Studios employees, including Chris Avellone, the guy who wrote and designed Planescape: Torment. I expect that the story for the KOTOR sequel will much more detailed than the first.
mmmm Black Isle Studios + Fallout = Fallout 2 ergo Obsidian + Kotor = luv.