Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Question about Best Buy gamer cards

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 10-07-03, 02:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I asked this in another thread, but no one replied (because the thread was about a game and not the cards specifically), so I'm reposting my question in order to get some info about this topic exclusively.

Originally posted by Trevor
Or better yet, just buy 10 giftcards, putting $1 or so on each, then use them all when you buy the game, leaving you 9 coupons for future use at BB or CC.
Wouldn't that look strange though? They will want to know why I don't just put $10 on one card. What should I tell them?

Thanks!
Old 10-07-03, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why does it even matter? Anytime you buy a video game you can just buy a new card and use the coupon on the back. Just pay for the card first and tell the cashier you want to use the coupon for the game and they will let you.
Old 10-07-03, 02:16 PM
Retired

It's a YMMV thing. Some cashiers won't let you buy the card and then the game and use the coupon. Happened to me twice. I just make a point of buying one everytime I buy a CD or DVD, so I always have one laying around.

Some stores make you put $5 or more on there.
Old 10-07-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think you have to put at least $5.00 on each card to buy one.

Other than that, just tell them the truth, that you want the coupons. There is nothing wrong with that and they shouldn't even give you a hard time.

I've purchased games by taking the gamer card to the register along with my game and tellng the cashier that I wanted to put $5.00 on the card, then use the card to buy the game. They always ask why I want to do it that way, and I just tell them that I want the $5 off coupon. I've never had a single problem doing that and I've done it about 6-7 times.
Old 10-07-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I usually buy 3 cards at a time and put $5 on each.. there's no reason to just put $1 on it, you'll be spending the $5 you put on the card anyways.
Old 10-07-03, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
I saw the question in the other thread and meant to answer.

I think you are worrying too much about it. I've put a dollar a card before. I tell the cashier I want two transactions. I buy the card(s) and pay, and then I buy the game(s) and pay.

Last time I went I just told the guy that I just wanted the giftcard for the coupon and he didn't make me buy it, he just deducted the $5 (he was a manager-type person, I believe).

There's nothing "wrong" with getting the cards for the coupons, so there's no need to worry.
Old 10-07-03, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post
I bought 20 cards and put a penny on each one.

-k
###
Old 10-07-03, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

i just get one when i need it and use the coupon immediately. never had a problem.

in fact, i just used one coupon at circuit city b/c they had advance wars 2 while bestbuy didn't.
Old 10-07-03, 03:07 PM

I picked up 5 last time I was at BB and put 1 cent on each. The cashier didn't even blink. Why only a penny? That way I can give them away.
Old 10-07-03, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally posted by Keyser Soze
I bought 20 cards and put a penny on each one.
I mentioned this in another thread. I was about to put $1 on each and the cashier was like "Why not just put a penny on each?" I said okay if she wanted to ring them up that way... she had no problems doing it that way. Again I guess YMMV. I couldn't blame any cashier who bitches about ringing up 20 with a penny on each.

The REASON for getting a bunch, however, is that they tend to get scarce every so often in the B&M's I frequent. So just grabbing one whenever you want to grab a new game doesn't always work.
Old 10-07-03, 05:23 PM

Another question: I read somewhere else on this forum that the coupons expire on 12/30/03 (or something like that). Is that still the case? I wouldn't want to buy a bunch and then have them expire on me. After all, we're already in Oct.
Old 10-07-03, 05:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

for 20 cents, i think that's a pretty safe investment. don't forget, you can use these as gifts.
Old 10-07-03, 10:54 PM

Theres new cards now, that dont expire till next year. I forgot the color of the new case but its no longer green.
Old 10-08-03, 12:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 675 Likes on 451 Posts
Originally posted by DaBargainHunta
Another question: I read somewhere else on this forum that the coupons expire on 12/30/03 (or something like that). Is that still the case? I wouldn't want to buy a bunch and then have them expire on me. After all, we're already in Oct.
First, why would it matter if they expire on you? The coupons are basically free. You use or give away the gift cards that you put cash on right away. So who cares if the coupons expire?
Secondly, historically, BB coupons don't really expire. They often still work after the expiration date.
Thirdly, there are new gift card/coupons that don't expire until 12/31/04.
I have bought maybe 50 of them, a penny to $10 each, have used all the gift cards, and still have 25 or so coupons to use at Circuit City or Best Buy until the end of next year if I need them.
Old 10-08-03, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 953 Likes on 661 Posts
Another alternative that I have used (mainly when they were in magazines) is to just copy the coupon and ask them to scan that. I have done this several times but again YMMV.
Old 10-08-03, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

If I want to buy a game, I go in get a card and checkout adding $5 or $10 to the card. I then proceed to go and pickup my game, take the giftcard off the cardboard while I'm back getting the game and take out the coupon as well and then take the card game and coupon back up the registers and use them all.