Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Sony to Unveil All-In-One PSX Game Device Next Week

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-03, 07:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Sony to Unveil All-In-One PSX Game Device Next Week

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.j...t&section=news

Fri October 3, 2003 04:07 PM ET
TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp 6758.T , the world's biggest consumer electronics maker, said on Friday it would unveil its all-in-one PSX game device to the public next week.

The PSX, which packs a TV tuner, DVD recorder, hard-disk drive, and the PlayStation 2 game player into a single white box, will be unveiled at the CEATEC Japan 2003 industry show in Makuhari, near Tokyo, on Tuesday, Sony said in a statement.

Sony plans to launch the machine in Japan before the end of this year, and in Europe and the United States early next year, but a spokesman for Sony said on Friday the exact launch timetable and pricing were yet to be decided.

Some analysts have expressed concerns the PSX could eat into demand for other Sony products at a time when the company is suffering from sluggish sales of its Vaio PCs and home electronics goods.

Yikes!

Chris
Old 10-03-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Retail is $3,789.55
Old 10-03-03, 07:31 PM

Originally posted by RyoHazuki7
Retail is $3,789.55
That's in 'yen'!

Chris
Old 10-03-03, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Seriously though I dont see who this would appeal to. Everyone who wanted a gaming system has one by now. Why the TV Tuner? What were they playing their PS2 on before? The dvd recorder wont be worth the large pricetag.
Old 10-03-03, 08:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mrpayroll
That's in 'yen'!

Chris
Old 10-03-03, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Why the TV Tuner? What were they playing their PS2 on before?
It would be nice for connecting to a display device without a tuner, such as a VGA monitor, which could then replace your television set. Then again, it probably won't decode satellite or digital cable signals anyway so it would be unnecessary for people who use those.
Old 10-03-03, 10:15 PM
Needs to provide a working email

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by mrpayroll
That's in 'yen'!

Chris
That can't be right, either. There are 120ish Yen to the dollar, so that would be only 30-odd bucks for the system.
Old 10-03-03, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I read about this thing about a month ago in EGM. I honestly don't know to whom they're marketing this machine. The gamers already have one, and the high-end folks already have their own components. This must be for the people who buy those Aibo dogs.
Old 10-03-03, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

..or the people that actually bought N-Gages..
Old 10-04-03, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
Originally posted by jw2299
I read about this thing about a month ago in EGM. I honestly don't know to whom they're marketing this machine. The gamers already have one, and the high-end folks already have their own components. This must be for the people who buy those Aibo dogs.
Don't forget "IT."

So it has a TV Tuner. I am there. I can finally hook up my 19" computer moniter and throw out that annoying 57" HDTV. It's too big anyway.
Old 10-04-03, 01:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

or who own Segways...
Old 10-04-03, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey! I have an Aibo! But no intention of buying a Segway. Or a PSX for that matter. Or an N-Gage.

I don't get the target market for this either. I can't imagine that it will sell well at all.
Old 10-05-03, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

or who own Segways...
a post too slow. Read "IT" right above your post. i.e. "IT" was the code name for the Segway.
Old 10-05-03, 05:40 PM

The only question that comes to my mind is WHY? It getting so close to the new generation of systems and Sony decides to pull this stunt. All the money they spent and are going to spend developing and marketing this thing is money they could have used towards the PS3, making sure Microsoft doesnt win the next war
Old 10-05-03, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally posted by menaz
The only question that comes to my mind is WHY? It getting so close to the new generation of systems and Sony decides to pull this stunt. All the money they spent and are going to spend developing and marketing this thing is money they could have used towards the PS3, making sure Microsoft doesnt win the next war
That is what I am wondering. Maybe they are testing the waters?
Old 10-05-03, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts
I don't think this is the PS2 arm of Sony. I believe this is the electronics arm of Sony. They are so desperate to make money that they put the PS2 functionality in it.
Old 10-05-03, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Does the hard drive in this thing also function as the PS2 hard drive?
Old 10-06-03, 12:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
Originally posted by Michael Corvin
a post too slow. Read "IT" right above your post. i.e. "IT" was the code name for the Segway.
Wasn't Ginger the code for Segways?
Old 10-06-03, 07:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

nick. You may be right but the media tagged it as "it."
Old 10-06-03, 10:24 AM
Retired

The TV tuner is in there so you can record stuff to a DVD-R, just like a VCR, more or less. That way you can tape one channel and watch another.
Old 10-06-03, 02:28 PM
Banned

Originally posted by tanman
That is what I am wondering. Maybe they are testing the waters?
No, they have already admitted that this was for those who put a lot of money in there entertainment systems. They know this is not going to appeal to the general gaming audience, but putting out a set-top box was something they always wanted to do. This just gives them the opportunity to do it. They have already sold a rediculous amount of PS2s, so why not try and fill another niche?
Old 10-06-03, 02:32 PM
Retired

Originally posted by joshd2012
No, they have already admitted that this was for those who put a lot of money in there entertainment systems.
Problem is, people that put a lot of money in their entertainment systems aren't going to be likely to buy set top boxes.

1. More expensive standalone equipment is superior. You won't find many (if any) home theater enthusiasts with DVD/player/receiver combos for instance. They'll shell out money for higher quality stand alone stuff.

2. Most hometheater enthusiasts probably already have a dvd recorder, tivo etc., so they have little incentive to buy a new PS2 for these features.

For these set-top boxes to take off, they need to be cheap, as they'll be more appealing to Joe and Jane Sixpack that care more about getting a bargain, than having high quality home theater equipment, or simply don't know any better.
Old 10-07-03, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 959 Likes on 666 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Problem is, people that put a lot of money in their entertainment systems aren't going to be likely to buy set top boxes.

1. More expensive standalone equipment is superior. You won't find many (if any) home theater enthusiasts with DVD/player/receiver combos for instance. They'll shell out money for higher quality stand alone stuff.

2. Most hometheater enthusiasts probably already have a dvd recorder, tivo etc., so they have little incentive to buy a new PS2 for these features.

For these set-top boxes to take off, they need to be cheap, as they'll be more appealing to Joe and Jane Sixpack that care more about getting a bargain, than having high quality home theater equipment, or simply don't know any better.
I agree, in order for this to really sell they need to slap a small title like performance series or Stradivarius series and then sell it for $12,000.

and make it out of marble.
Old 10-07-03, 12:50 AM

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ch_sony_psx_dc

Sony PSX Console to Hit Japan Stores by Year-End

Mon Oct 6,10:37 PM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - Sony Corp (NYSE:SNE - news) (news - web sites) said on Tuesday it would begin selling the "PSX," an all-in-one game console and entertainment system, in Japan by the year-end, in a bid to boost the company's sagging electronics sales. Sony, the world's largest consumer electronics maker, said the PSX would feature a satellite TV tuner, DVD recorder, hard disk drive (HDD) recorder and PlayStation 2 (news - web sites) (PS2) game player.

A version with a 160-gigabyte HDD will sell for 79,800 yen ($719) and be able to record up to 204 hours of television, the company said. It will also sell a 250-gigabyte version for 99,800 yen.

Chief Executive Nobuyuki Idei said in May that one of the growth strategies for Sony's electronics business would be to integrate it with the company's profit-making games division.

Shares of Sony were down 1.73 percent at 3,980 yen by midday, while the Nikkei 225 average was unchanged.

Sony plans to market the PSX as a consumer electronics product and aims to pitch the box as a do-everything entertainment console for games, music and movies.

The company's games division has developed cutting-edge semiconductors for the PS2 and the original PlayStation, but it is the upcoming PlayStation machine that has people buzzing about the integration of electronics and games.

Sony plans to invest 500 billion yen over the next three years in semiconductors, including research and development for a high-powered microprocessor codenamed "cell" that is being developed with Toshiba Corp and IBM.

The chip is expected to power Sony's next-generation game console, but the company aims to make "cell" the global standard for consumer electronics in the high-speed Internet era.

There's an idea of how much the price will be.

Chris
Old 10-07-03, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by nickdawgy
Wasn't Ginger the code for Segways?
yes it's.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.