Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Is there a way to get a Halo instructions booklet?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-03, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi. I called a store near my house and they had Halo used for $19.99, so I told them I'd be right in. It sells for $30 plus shipping on Ebay and I thought I had a great deal. But when I got there they told me that had been mistaken and it was at another store 30 minutes away. Before going all that way, I asked them to call the store and make sure that the game wasn't scratched and had the instructions booklet. They told me that it was perfect.

So I drove all the way there only to find out, when I asked to look at it, that there were no instructions. I was pissed. The manager came out and when he heard my story he told me that it was a pretty easy game, that you didn't really need the instructions and that you could figure it out as you went along, and for my troubles he said I could have it at no charge.

Now, that was an offer that I couldn't refuse and he was really nice about things, but I really still would like to get the booklet. Is there a way to get it? Can I call Microsoft? Or would they not send out instructions alone because I could have a bootlegged copy or something? Does anyone know how I might get one?

Thanks so much for your help.
Old 10-02-03, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Here you go:

Halo intructions
Old 10-03-03, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,934 Likes on 1,496 Posts
He said you could have the game for free? Wow, what kind of store was this? Did you buy anything else?
Old 10-03-03, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by fujishig
He said you could have the game for free? Wow, what kind of store was this? Did you buy anything else?
Record shop that sells new and used cds, some new and used dvds, and used games.

Yep, they gave it to me free.

Of course, the game made me violently ill, so I don't know if I'll even play it again.

I have purchased things from this store since I came here for college in 1991, so it's not like they just gave it to anyone.
Old 10-04-03, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
The game made you ill? How so?
Old 10-04-03, 04:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by nickdawgy
The game made you ill? How so?
Very ill. I see some of these games have warnings about seizures which must be very rare. but there must be some things that can happen that aren't quite as bad, but still caused by kind of the same thing.

I played for an hour and afterwards I was terribly dizzy. Everything in the house seemed to be moving on me. I felt sick and when I tried to go to sleep I just couldn't because of the spinning. It was like the feeling you get the night after you've been on a rollercoaster but you can still feel the feeling of being on it. But much worse.

It even lasted a bit into the next day, but I think it's gone. I will not be playing Halo for a while. I want to talk to some friends and I'm seeing my dr. on monday anyway, but I'm not kidding when I say it was very bad.

It's not a feeling I would wish on anyone. Ok, maybe a few nasty people, but I'm only human.
Old 10-04-03, 07:17 AM
Banned

Originally posted by dolphinboy
Very ill. I see some of these games have warnings about seizures which must be very rare. but there must be some things that can happen that aren't quite as bad, but still caused by kind of the same thing.

I played for an hour and afterwards I was terribly dizzy. Everything in the house seemed to be moving on me. I felt sick and when I tried to go to sleep I just couldn't because of the spinning. It was like the feeling you get the night after you've been on a rollercoaster but you can still feel the feeling of being on it. But much worse.

It even lasted a bit into the next day, but I think it's gone. I will not be playing Halo for a while. I want to talk to some friends and I'm seeing my dr. on monday anyway, but I'm not kidding when I say it was very bad.

It's not a feeling I would wish on anyone. Ok, maybe a few nasty people, but I'm only human.
Sounds like the a seizure to me. My friend got dizzy and nauseous at work some times and had to go to the hospital because he knew he was about to have a seizure. You probably want to see a doctor about that.
Old 10-04-03, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 399 Likes on 299 Posts
wow, glad you're okay. Hopefully it was something else, because Halo is a great game

Good luck at the doctor
Old 10-04-03, 05:41 PM
JM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by joshd2012
Sounds like the a seizure to me. My friend got dizzy and nauseous at work some times and had to go to the hospital because he knew he was about to have a seizure. You probably want to see a doctor about that.
I doubt it. First-person games just make some people nauseous. It's a form of motion sickness. Many FPS games have an option to turn off the swaying of weapons as you run, as this adds to the nausea inducing effect (as does poor framerates).

I myself don't get nauseous *playing* FPS games, but I often do when *watching* someone else play them for a while. The feeling doesn't last more than an hour or two though.
Old 10-05-03, 05:37 PM

I think I'll agree with that, it seems like you just got some severe motion sickness, most people dont get it that bad, but a lot do, including myself. Since it did last for that long, I would still say go to a doc, just to make sure.
Old 10-05-03, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts
http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...hreadid=321938
Old 10-05-03, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts
I am a doctor aand I assure you that it's not a seizure. It is a form of motion sickness. Your eyes are giving you input suggesting movement. Your inner ear, on the other hand is sending your brain impulses that you are indeed not moving but rather sitting still. This presents the brain with contradictory information. Most people can override that with the knowledge that they're playing a game, but some cant and the differences between the two impulses causes nausea and dizziness. My advice is to stop playing, but short of that you might want to try playing standing up if you're not feeling dizzy. That might lessen the difference between the two impulses and allow you to play. And of course stop after every 15-20 minutes, pause the game and walk around so that you reintroduce your body to the real world and break from the virtual one.
Old 10-05-03, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1.Keep a light on while you play, preferably in front of you.
2.Sit further back from the tv than you normally would.
3.Buy an HDTV and component cables.

I did all 3, and I don't get sick with FPS anymore. Of course, the third option might be a bit extreme for you .
Old 10-06-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Quake1028
1.Keep a light on while you play, preferably in front of you.
2.Sit further back from the tv than you normally would.
3.Buy an HDTV and component cables.

I did all 3, and I don't get sick with FPS anymore. Of course, the third option might be a bit extreme for you .

If I do number 1 and 2, will you take care of 3 for me?
Old 10-06-03, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Does anyone know if Halo has the option to turn off the bobbing motion?

Will this likely on happen on FBS games or will a sports game that goes back and forth, like the NHL 2K4 that I just ordered, do the same thing.

I have Buffy and it didn't happen. Or Tiger Woods golf and Sega GT Racer.

Just Halo and the sickness was brutal. I have been afraid to use the game again.
Old 10-06-03, 10:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

dolphinboy I'm scared of playing Morrowind also I was sick for the rest of the day. That's the only game that does it.
Old 10-06-03, 10:23 PM
Mod Emeritus

Originally posted by GatorDeb
dolphinboy I'm scared of playing Morrowind also I was sick for the rest of the day. That's the only game that does it.
You didn't get motion sick running through the tunnels in Halo?
Old 10-06-03, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't played Halo past the first level

I didn't get sick in the first level. I played a total of about 20 minutes of Halo. I don't like it.