Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Why are PC games shipped unfinished and often with patches right at release?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-03, 02:11 PM
Retired

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not a bash, just a curiosity.

Why not just wait until the game is ready to go?

I can see why some console games get rushed out, and are full of bugs, as there is intense competition with three consoles and tons of games coming out.

But the PC is just one platform, and there doesn't have nearly the volume of game releases (not really a fault as most console games released suck ass).

So isn't releasing unfinished games accomplishing nothing and just alienating gamers that get sick of it?

It is nice though that patches are possible, where as a rushed console game is doomed to suck and can never be fixed.
Old 10-02-03, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Because unlike Consoles, PC games have to have a wide opening for many different computer rigs. were as if you are programing for say PS2 or Gamecube the programers know exactly what they need to do.

Patches will be released to fix the issues with certain systems and differetnt drivers.

PC is just not one platform. You have to factor in ALL the different spec requirements for the many different system hardware. soundcards, video cards, video drivers, CPU speed, mother board and so on.

the same could be said with a game like Tomb Raider's new game. glitches and all. How about Enter the matrix? why are those glitch filled if they are just on one system?

the means to patch is an advantage to P.C. games. you can get new info and skins and so forth as well as the game fixes.

Deadlines are also a factor. publishers want a game out on certain dates so if the programers are not prepared for it yet they fall to the patches. It is not alienating gamers because for the most part, gamers now a days have the net connection and the games do work out of the box and it's mostly MP patches and sever patches.

In most cases, you don't have enough beta testing done to get the bugs completely out till you give it to a larger amount of people with various different amounts of system specs.
Old 10-02-03, 02:19 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Nature of the beast. The publishers work from a marketing standpoint...get the thing out the door to coincide with promotions/advertisements/etc. If the developer complains, the publisher argues "Ah, you can just patch it later."

As you mentioned, console games don't have the luxury of patching (although that is changing). So the publisher is more willing to wait for the polished product. In the next generation, I predict that all consoles will have hard drives and the ability to download patches...which means you can expect a lot more buggy console games.
Old 10-02-03, 02:21 PM
Retired

Good points. Thanks Jack!

I already said above that it was an advantage, as they can be fixed unlike consoles.

Console games are buggy because they are often rushed out for various reasons. Enter the Matrix (which is on all three BTW) is buggy as it was rushed out to come out with the movie. I believe TR was rushed to come out around the time of the new movie as well.
Old 10-02-03, 02:23 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Groucho
In the next generation, I predict that all consoles will have hard drives and the ability to download patches...which means you can expect a lot more buggy console games.
That's one thing I'm dreading. Mainly because I won't be able to get them as I can't afford/don't need or really want broadband at home as I take my laptop to work and have broadband here M-F. Even if they do modem support, it would take for ever to download patches, and again I couldn't get them as I only have a cell phone (got a deal over $10 cheaper than what I was paying for local phone service, plus free long distance).
Old 10-02-03, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
One of the reasons I love PC games is because of patches. I want to cry when I think of all the console games that could been great if there just had been a patch to fix and/or tweak a few things.
Old 10-03-03, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

its a combination of no 2 PCs being exactly a-like and most publishers telling developers when their game will be ready as opposed to the other way around...

j
Old 10-03-03, 09:42 AM
Retired

The whole thing with publishers telling developers when to have the game out is lame, and a major problem with PC and console games.

It should be the other way around. You'd think a polished game delayed until it was done, would sell more than a buggy game rushed to meet a publisher set release date. But then again, Enter the Matrix sold like hot cakes.

I guess it's a case of casual gamers screwing everyone else over, because I have to imagine they are the main ones that by games just from seeing the ads.

I imagine most of the hardcore gamers are more like me. I've never bought a game because of an ad (thus no reason to get the game out in time with the ads for hardcore gamers). Usually it goes like this. I see an ad for a game I haven't heard of. I think, "wow I'll have to look up some reviews." I find the review and 9 times out of 10 it's "big suprise, it sucks."

Apparently (at least for ETM and other big selling rush jobs) a lot of people skip the check the reviews step. Buying crap like that just encourages developers to rush crap out for a quick buck.
Old 10-03-03, 09:46 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
It's not just casual gamers. Go to the message board for any upcoming game that's been delayed, and you'll see it filled with posts from "hardcore" fans crying "Release it now so I can play, patch it later!"
Old 10-03-03, 09:55 AM
Retired

Oh I know.

I was talking more on the console gaming front. You see a lot of whining on boards when one is delayed, but also a lot of people saying they'd rather them get it right first (as of course patches aren't an option on consoles right now). Unfortunately, the casual gamers by stuff like Enter the Matrix in millions, and outway this hardcore gamer voice saying to get it right first.

Also, I really don't think there are many casual PC gamers. It requires so much more effort to keep your system upgraded, get each game optimized and running right, find the newest patches, etc. etc, that one has to be pretty into games to bother with all that. There's probably a lot of hardcore console gamers that are casually into PC games (as well as vice versa), but I'd still consider them hard core gamers, and more apt to play PC games than people only casually into console games.
Old 10-03-03, 12:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I think the technology of the game also factors in. You wouldn't want to work on a game for a while and release it finished but years behind in graphic/gameplay technology from other games released around the same time.
Old 10-03-03, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think they do need to set a date for the release of a game rather than "when it's done." If a date is not set we get things like Diakatana, Duke Nukem Forever or Team Fortress 2. You can always be improving and tweaking a PC game even after it's done because you can't test it for every possible setup someone might have. Also, some bugs are found between the time the game is sent to be pressed and the time it hits store shelves, and this is the reason there may be a patch to coincide with the release of a game.

You also may not realize this, but console games do get "patched," but since you can't just download the patch you have to aquire an updated game disk that includes the bug fix. Developers will release the game with the bug because it takes a very specific set of circumstances for the bug to become active, and a very small percentage of consumers will find that bug. If you happen to be one of those consumers you can send your disc in for a revised one. Also, when they release a new pressing such as a "Greatest Hits" version they will usually include any "patches." This doesn't happen very often since consoles are closed systems (they shouldn't happen at all), but it does happen.
Old 10-04-03, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

duke 4 ever is NEVER coming out, dont even bother waiting for it. The day HL2 or Doom3 is released, the DNF that was sposed to be produced will be on an obsolete graphics engine. We may see another Duke someday... but I wouldnt count on it ANY time soon.

AFA TF2, the valve bubbas say that when HL2 launches, they will make an official announcement about TF2... should be interesting...

j