Reload this Page >

Gamecube sells quadruple

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamecube sells quadruple

Old 10-02-03, 02:30 PM
Retired

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gamecube sells quadruple

Looks like the price drop was a good move.

GameCube Sales Quadruple

By Mike Viscel -- News Writer
Published 8:42 AM CDT, October 2, 2003

The price cut is just a week or so old and sales are already picking up rapidly.

Sales rates of Nintendo's GameCube home video console have more than quadrupled since a price reduction to $99.99 last week.

"Clearly, this move is what game players desired, and also what our retail partners wanted," says George Harrison, senior vice president, marketing and corporate communications, Nintendo of America. "We're already receiving requests for additional shipments of Nintendo GameCube systems between now and the holidays."

"The price cut is working great!" stated Dan DeMatteo, president, GameStop Corp. "Our sales of Nintendo GameCube have increased more than fourfold. We are currently increasing our shipment requests for the system throughout the holidays."

The new $99.99 MSRP for Nintendo GameCube is an aggressive move as Nintendo heads into the holiday season. More than 100 new titles will be available before the end of the year, including the season's most-anticipated title, Mario Kart: Double Dash!!

In addition, Nintendo has just announced a massive marketing campaign fronted by a new tag line, "who are you?" More than $50 million will be invested in launching the "who are you?" campaign, part of a total marketing push of $100 million through the end of the year.

Mike Viscel
source: http://nintendo.gamerfeed.com/gf/pr/4367/ and http://www.gamespot.com/gamecube/news/news_6076294.html

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 10-02-03 at 02:32 PM.
Old 10-02-03, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

<marquee scroll=left></marquee>
Old 10-02-03, 02:42 PM
Doctorwho

Maybe microsoft and sony will lower their prices now.
Old 10-02-03, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Hey - with some solid GC exclusive titles now out and price reduced (Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime) and their sequels in the works, GCN could make a surprising leap.

BTW I played Viewtiful Joe at BB today at lunch - that game ROCKS!
Old 10-02-03, 02:55 PM
Retired

Mario Kart and Rogue Squardron 3 should help sales as well if they are well reviewed.
Old 10-02-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Quadrupled from what I wonder? Week to week? Month to month? Day to day?
Old 10-02-03, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by The Franchise
Quadrupled from what I wonder? Week to week? Month to month? Day to day?
They are all the same.
Old 10-02-03, 03:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I guess I helped their sales figures... I picked one up last weekend; haven't had a chance to even play it yet, but I've grabbed a few exclusives, Resident Evil 0 and Rogue Squadron II.

At $99... I don't feel nearly as guilty as I would buying an X-Box for $179; although my wife might argue the point...
Old 10-02-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Now give me the Zelda bundle!
Old 10-02-03, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I think Nintendo is playing this out brilliantly. Welcome back, Nintendo! I think this is the beginning of Nintendo being neck and neck with Sony and maybe edging out in the next console war.
Old 10-02-03, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My wife got one for me at KB about a week ago. I hadn't even open mine as of yesterday. Yesterday my wife returned that one, went to EB games and bought a Platinum 'Cube, Wavebird and Mario Sunshine for $130. Three words: best. controller. ever.

Last edited by Hiro11; 10-02-03 at 04:02 PM.
Old 10-02-03, 03:59 PM
Retired

Originally posted by GatorDeb
I think this is the beginning of Nintendo being neck and neck with Sony and maybe edging out in the next console war.
I think that's a little premature. I've said it before, Sony is the king of the industry, they have to screw up to lose the top spot.

Nintendo was in this place before, but screwed it up with the N64, by using carts, screwing over third parties, screwing up the partnership with Sony etc.

I just hope they can beat out MS next gen and get in a firm second place.
Old 10-02-03, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 41 Likes on 29 Posts
Ummmm... Sorry but I fail to see how a dramatic one-week sales increase spawned by a heavily-publicized price drop of 33% has any real significance on either this generation of consoles or the next. There was a short-lived dramatic sales spike when they introduced the free game promotion as well. It is what it is. I'm sure there's relief at Nintendo that consumers are interested in buying their console at a low price point, but it's hard for me to read anything else into it than that. I'm fairly certain that if the PS2 or Xbox dropped to $119.99 tomorrow, a lot more units would sell. I'm sure both Sony and MS are aware of that yet have their reasons (sound or not) for staying put right now.
Old 10-02-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Aphex Twin
They are all the same.
Actually they're not the same. Did they quadruple compared to yesterday? Did they quadruple compared to a week last month or a day last month. Depending on what period of time you're comparing to, the results can be drastically different.

Go Nintendo! Hopefully they'll have a good holiday season.
Old 10-02-03, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
It will fall to the game selection. currently PS2 still has the biggest game background and will continue to dominate for some time to come if you ask me.
Old 10-02-03, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Jackskeleton
It will fall to the game selection. currently PS2 still has the biggest game background and will continue to dominate for some time to come if you ask me.
Well, isn't that kind of beyond any doubt? It's really a race for #2 and positioning for the next generation, and I'd be surprised (and baffled) if Microsoft or Nintendo had any realistic goals of overtaking Sony this generation short of giving their consoles away or paying people to take 'em.
Old 10-02-03, 04:16 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
Yep. That's why I say they have to make some huge mistakes to lose their lead.

They have all the big third parties in the bag. For exclusives, Nintendo only has their first party games, Factor 5 (and nothing's stopping them for putting out games on the competition) and Silicon Knights. They have RE this gen, but that's a tired franchise and will likely go third party next gen.

MS has Bungie and Rare (both who put out very few games, albeit excellent ones when they do come out).

Sony has the most support from EA, Square, Rockstar, Naughty Dog, Insomniac, etc.
Old 10-02-03, 04:17 PM
Retired

Originally posted by ctyner
Well, isn't that kind of beyond any doubt? It's really a race for #2 and positioning for the next generation, and I'd be surprised (and baffled) if Microsoft or Nintendo had any realistic goals of overtaking Sony this generation short of giving their consoles away or paying people to take 'em.
Jack, and I, are saying they have no realistic chance of overtaking them in the foreseable future period. Not just htis generation.

Their advantage in games isn't going to go away unless they make some major mistakes.
Old 10-02-03, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Yep. That's why I say they have to make some huge mistakes to lose their lead.
Old 10-02-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts
Looks like a good time for them to go software exclusive.

MS and Sony CAN'T really lower their prices much more, can they? They are currently losing money on every console. Is Nintendo still turning a profit at $99?
Old 10-02-03, 04:34 PM
Retired

Nintendo never releases their costs, so theres no way to know. I'd guess they are close to breaking even on them, either losing a little or making a little on each one.
Old 10-02-03, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Josh,
I'd argue that they're definitely losing money on each console sold. The PowerPC chip in there is atleast $50 even if purchased in bulk, add in to that the drive,ATI graphics card, RAM, casing, etc, I'd say there's definatley more than 100 worth of parts in there.
Either way, the software is where the money's at. Buy $100 worth of games and they've recouped their loss. Chances are people will want more than two cube games.
Old 10-02-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally posted by rfduncan
Hey - with some solid GC exclusive titles now out and price reduced (Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime) and their sequels in the works, GCN could make a surprising leap.

BTW I played Viewtiful Joe at BB today at lunch - that game ROCKS!
Off topic, but it is a sickness. When I read this, I instantly say in my head...

[John Lennon]Viewtiful, viewtiful, viewtiful.....viewtiful Jooooeeeeee [/John Lennon]
Old 10-02-03, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Jack, and I, are saying they have no realistic chance of overtaking them in the foreseable future period. Not just htis generation.
I don't disagree, but Jack said the PS2 specifically, so I took his comments to be limited to this generation.
Old 10-02-03, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Decker
I'm fairly certain that if the PS2 or Xbox dropped to $119.99 tomorrow, a lot more units would sell. I'm sure both Sony and MS are aware of that yet have their reasons (sound or not) for staying put right now.
But Sony and MS haven't dropped their price to $119.99, so I don't see your point. The reality of the situation is that Nintendo has dropped its price on the Gamecube to $99 and that its sales have quadrupled since that announcement was made.

Even if Sony and MS knew for a fact their sales would increase by a factor of 4 if they dropped their prices, it doesn't mean they would do it, especially if they are losing money already on each console sold at $179.99.

In reality, Sony doesn't have to lower its prices as it is by far the leader in this race and will continue to sell consoles on reputation alone. If anyone has reason to fear the Nintendo price drop, it has to be MS. Especially if Gamecube sales continue at anywhere near this pace.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.