Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Will there be more arcade games for Xbox or should we get Gamecube?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-03, 12:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife and I picked up the an Xbox 3 months ago. We only have 5 games and we do find ourselves getting tired quickly (it could be the baby too) playing the games. We grew up with playing Centipede and Asteroids which are far less complicated than games seem to be nowadays.

I posted here about some "easier" games a month or so ago and we picked one up and pre-ordered the Midway Arcade Treasures. I think we'll enjoy the Xbox a lot more if we don't always have to get into the more intense games all the time.

However, I have seen SO many games that we'd love to have offered on the gamecube platform, but didn't want to buy another console. Games like frogger or Space Invaders. We like those kinds of game so much that I ordered this Atari 10 in 1 game that comes with just a joystick.

Will Xbox over the next year or so come out with a lot of the older games, alone, or in more compilations like the Midway one or is that unlikely? I'd really like to be able to always have the choice. We look forward to getting Alias, NHL 2004, and the X-Files game for X-box, but we'd also like to have Frogger, Space Invaders, Centipede and games like that.

So, what should we do? Will Xbox put out these games because of a demand for the retro games or is getting another console the only way to be able to play both kinds of games?

Thanks for any advice.
Old 09-24-03, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

You would probably be interested in this, available on all 3. Midway Arcade Treasures
Old 09-24-03, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Copenhagen
You would probably be interested in this, available on all 3. Midway Arcade Treasures
Thanks, but I mentioned we pre-ordered that.

I was wondering if this was just the beginning and a lot more of these would be coming out or if it's not likely that Xbox will have all the old games like Centipede, Asteroids, Frogger, etc, that are available on other consoles now.

For example, will Xbox ever get this:Midway Presents Arcade's Greatest Hits - The Atari Collection 1?

Last edited by dolphinboy; 09-24-03 at 12:25 AM.
Old 09-24-03, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

....some night I just scan posts.

I hope if this has decent sales it will push them to release more compilations like this in the future.
Old 09-24-03, 04:19 PM

Copenhagen, you really should try out MAME on your computer if you really like old arcade games.
Old 09-24-03, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

PS2 would probably be your best bet for arcade games, compilations, etc.

But since you have an xbox.... if you are willing to do alittle work, you can mod your xbox and have all the emulators and games to play. Not legal, but it can be done
Old 09-24-03, 04:29 PM

If you go the legal route for just these old arcade games, why not pick up an original Playstation? It has more compilations available than any other system.

If you go the emulation route, it seems like it's more of a case of 'What game can't be played on Xbox?'
Old 09-24-03, 04:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 183 Likes on 125 Posts
You might consider getting a used Dreamcast and getting the compilation discs for it. So you have the best of both world, for much less than adding another current gen console.

Midway's greatest hits 1 (Defender, Stargate, Sinistar, Bubbles, Robotron, Joust)
Atari Anniversary Edition ( Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Battlezone, Centipede, Crystal Castles, Gravitar, Millipede, Missile Command, Pong, Super Breakout, Tempest and Warlords)
Namco Museum (Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Galaxian, Pole Positionand, Dig-Dug)

Plus the DC can be modded to do so much more...
Old 09-24-03, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by SmackDaddy
You might consider getting a used Dreamcast and getting the compilation discs for it. So you have the best of both world, for much less than adding another current gen console.

Midway's greatest hits 1 (Defender, Stargate, Sinistar, Bubbles, Robotron, Joust)
Atari Anniversary Edition ( Asteroids, Asteroids Deluxe, Battlezone, Centipede, Crystal Castles, Gravitar, Millipede, Missile Command, Pong, Super Breakout, Tempest and Warlords)
Namco Museum (Pac-Man, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Galaxian, Pole Positionand, Dig-Dug)

Plus the DC can be modded to do so much more...
Thanks.

I have no idea of what this is (Dreamcast), but would it be better to get it than the old playstation Or eveb the PS2 or Gamecube?

Also, before I even consider other consoles, new or old, what about the one that I have? Is there any reason to believe that the compilations you listed (and more in the future) will NOT be available for Xbox or will it just take some time?

We are kind of new to this, so I'm also not sure why they wouldn't be. I see some titles that are obviously exclusive, but why wouldn't the old arcade compilations be made avialable to all platforms?
Old 09-24-03, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by mr.snowmizer

If you go the emulation route, it seems like it's more of a case of 'What game can't be played on Xbox?'
For us, it's more like what will be available. I mentioned we ordered that Atari joystick with 10 games and we have pre-ordered the Midway title coming in December.

I think, considering the fact that we don't play a lot and that we will also play our newer Xbox titles that we'll have a decent selection. We'll have Joust, Centipede, Asteroids, and Defender to name a few.

But can we expect those other compilations (or newer ones) to be made available to Xbox within the next year (04)? If the answer is likely no, then we might consider the other options like playstation.

Thanks again.
Old 09-24-03, 05:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I think you should seriously consider the Gameboy Advance SP for classic gaming. Or if you aren't into the portable aspect get a Gamecube (now $99!) and Gameboy Player.

Maybe you can still get some cash for you XBOX.
Old 09-24-03, 08:38 PM

Well, the original Playstation has these old Atari and Midway games in a number of different volumes.

Then there were 5 volumes of Namco's greatest arcade titles from the 80s/very early 90s. On the more recent systems, there's just been one Namco release including just the most popular. I don't expect them to change that for Xbox, PS2, or Gamecube, so forget about seeing some of their more cult classics (e.g., Mappy) on current or upcoming systems.

Then there were Konami collections, and goodness knows what else. The PSX has, by far, more of these old arcade games available than any other system.
Old 09-25-03, 10:27 AM

Xbox - Namco Museum is also Available now

It has Dig-Dug, Pac-Man, Pole Postion, Galaga(sp). $20 new

Tetris Worlds also $20

Late