DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Company Selling Arcade Game Machine For Home (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/319528-company-selling-arcade-game-machine-home.html)

mrpayroll 09-23-03 11:52 AM

Company Selling Arcade Game Machine For Home

http://www.nbc4.tv/technology/250411...009232003&ts=H

Machine Is Replica Of Machines Like Pac-Man, Space Invaders

POSTED: 8:01 a.m. EDT September 23, 2003

A company called X-Gaming is selling a home arcade gaming machine. It's the first cabinet powered by a game system.

The X-Arcade Home Arcade Gaming Machine is a replica of an arcade machine like Pac-Man or Space Invaders.

It's uniquely designed for use in the home. All you have to do is place your favorite game systems inside the arcade machine. Users will get the realistic and high quality feel of a real arcade machine.

Also included is special software that lets you play thousands of arcade classics through a home computer.

X-Arcade is being sold at Fry's retail stores for $999. It's compatible with all the video game systems, X-box, PlayStation, PlayStation 2 and Gamecube.

Did a search, don't think it has been posted! Interesting idea!

Chris

mkdevo 09-23-03 12:13 PM

eh...

imo, it's a big shelf with their crappy joystick. better off building your own.

joshd2012 09-23-03 12:19 PM

This is not new. X-arcade has been building these cabinets for a while now. In fact, IGN even has a review of the cabinet which they found to be "flimsy". The X-arcade stick is amazing, but the cabinet blows.

PixyJunket 09-23-03 12:19 PM

They sell this at Fry's for a cool K. It's neat, but to be honest arcade games and console games differ greatly. I can see this for somebody who's a hardcore fighting game fan or something, but I couldn't see STANDING up and trying to play something like Zelda or Metroid.

They were demoing SC2 on it, it's neat.. but seriosuly.. it's a novelty.

PixyJunket 09-23-03 12:34 PM

The X-Arcade stick does kick ass. Serious ass.

Tigger 09-23-03 12:47 PM

I've been seriously considering building one for some time. I know nothing about electronics, soldering, etc.. but really like to find a good knowledgeable step by step website that teaches as well as instructs. Anyone can direct me it would be great.

Setzer 09-23-03 12:56 PM

I thought I read somewhere in last months(October) issue of EGM that they were going to do a feature on 'how to build your own Arcade cabinet' in the next issue......

Draven 09-23-03 01:00 PM

Originally posted by Tigger
I've been seriously considering building one for some time. I know nothing about electronics, soldering, etc.. but really like to find a good knowledgeable step by step website that teaches as well as instructs. Anyone can direct me it would be great.
Check Goblincat's, Blake's or my threads about building a machine (just to name a few.) I didn't solder a single thing.

This premade stuff blows.

porieux 09-23-03 07:51 PM

I hope they have permission to distribute MAME like that...

tor_greg 09-23-03 08:45 PM

I would rather spend the money on a classic "cocktail table" style game and use it as my kitchen table or coffee table.

Drexl 09-23-03 08:59 PM

Originally posted by porieux
I hope they have permission to distribute MAME like that...
With the emulator itself, yes, I think that's free to distribute. As for the ROMS, I seriously doubt it.

Gallant Pig 09-23-03 09:00 PM

Don't public domain roms exist to distribute freely or is that crazy talk?

porieux 09-23-03 09:16 PM

MAME is not permitted to be distributed with ROMs AFAIK

isamu 09-23-03 10:51 PM

BUSTED!!!

mtucker 09-23-03 11:08 PM

Originally posted by Gallant Pig
Don't public domain roms exist to distribute freely or is that crazy talk?
The only "legal" roms I know of are on the www.mame.net site itself.

Gallant Pig 09-23-03 11:12 PM

Originally posted by mtucker
The only "legal" roms I know of are on the www.mame.net site itself.
Are there any on that site? I can only find screen shots & whatnot

Gallant Pig 09-23-03 11:13 PM

Nevermind I found "samples".

Those seem pretty good to be public domain though, are they really legal?

edytwinky 09-24-03 12:56 AM

$999, I'll probably pass

mkdevo 09-24-03 07:05 AM

Originally posted by Tigger
see my first post, trigger..