VGA to connect to laptops?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

VGA to connect to laptops?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-03, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP connect my laptop to my VGA/X-BOX please!

Hey-

All Ive got right now is a laptop computer. Does anyone know if the VGA converters have the ability to hook up to laptops? If so, what port would be used? I wanna hook up an X-Box. In particular, I was looking at the one for 50$ at compusa. Thanks for any help!

Last edited by jigga6286; 09-29-03 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-20-03, 09:24 PM

The VGA port on a laptop is usually an output and not an input. Hooking your Xbox up to your laptop would normally be done through your laptop's video input if it has one. Most of the time the video inputs that laptops have are either s-video or composite (RCA) video. Some laptops have video inputs built in and other laptops require an adapter cable. Check your owner's manual or online to see what your laptop needs.
Old 09-29-03, 07:35 PM

ok...
So I have everything, and have audio connection, but cant get a video connection. My comp. has an s-video output (dell inspiron 5100) and my VGA has an s-video output (AV Link @ compusa, 50$). Still, I cannot get a connection. There is also this 15 pin extension cable, and the directions tell me to connect it from the "VGA display card" on my PC to the "VGA in" port on the VGA. The only thing that I think resembles a VGA display card on my comp is my "video connector". Am I wrong? IT also tells me to connect my monitor (which is on my laptop) to the "monitor" port on the adapter, but I do not have another 15 pin cable that will do this. What do I need to do? Any help would greatly greatly be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-29-03, 08:18 PM
Mod Emeritus

You need to get a special device to be able to be able to play the Xbox on a VGA device, think along the lines of the VGA box they made for the Dreamcast. I think the one for the Xbox is spendy tho, like $200.
Old 09-29-03, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You'd probably need one of these - Multi Purpose XGA Box (Third Party)

Connect any video source to your PC VGA monitor
First VGA box supporting the higher output resolutions for LCD monitors
Works with both, CRT and LCD monitors
Inputs: Video-In (RCA) and S-Video in
Automatic formats: 640x480, 800x600, 1024x768
Double scan conversion, from 15.75KHz to 48.63KHz.
Adaptive non-linear noise reduction
3D motion adaptdive de-interlacing
Non-linear programmable 16:9 expansion
Supports PAL and NTSC (works with all consoles worldwide)
Old 09-29-03, 08:53 PM

well that sucks... is there a better option? I have old monitors that go to desktop computers, would those be able to work instead of a laptop? What kind of ports or hook-ups would those require with the objects I have right now? Thanks so far!
Old 09-29-03, 08:57 PM

Another thought... is there any adapter or cable that I can get? (Looking at the adapters at compusa). Clearly, Im not givin up on this yet...
Old 09-29-03, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

will this work? http://www.x2vga.com/
Old 09-30-03, 06:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I'd just look around at garage sales and pawn shops for a cheap 19-inch TV. One of those will probably cost less than a vga adapter. Of course, you'll lose some resolution over using a VGA display, but at 19-inches, it won't be too big of a loss.
Old 09-30-03, 01:00 PM

Having a tv would make it easy, but im in a dorm for prep school that doesnt have a cable hookup.
Old 09-30-03, 03:21 PM
Cool New Member

Laptop monitor cannot be used as a separate monitor. Laptops only have video out ports, I have not seen one with a video input.

To connect your x-box to the laptop would require an external video capture device, something like this:
http://www.hauppauge.com/html/usb_data.htm

I don't think the one above is a good one since it only uses USB (slow transfer rate). Look for one that uses firewire/USB 2.0. Sorry, I don't know a good one.

None of the devices listed in above threads will work, because they only convert the signal to VGA.