Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Are videogames now like movies were in the 80's?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-18-03, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll try to explain:
What I mean by this is how would you compare the technical features and story-telling aspects in games to movies. I would say we are in the pre-80's era. Sure the SFX are better in games, but based on potential I think think game effects will improve much faster than movie effects. Why games didn't feature bullet time" before the movies is beyond me! Also in terms of storylines and "acting" in games, we aren't at a believable level yet. Some character acting and animation is getting close to being believable, but we are still a ways off from caring about a character. Onimusha does a good job of "acting" IMO, but the characters and dialog are still stilted.

In terms of visual presentation, games don't need to blend reality in with the effects (ie. no blue screen), and by it's very nature, games are all CG (although some games blend looping "real" video as the backdrop for characters). Technically we have a long way to go before we start seeing the relative jump in SFX quality from, say Superman to the Matrix. Editing isn't too good in games right now either with not very inventive angles and wipes.

Story and theme-wise, we are probably pretty far ahead of where movies were in the 80's with games offering all types of themes from philosophical (Xenosaga) to realistic (Splinter Cell) to Parody (GTA3).The "acting" in games is still pretty poor, but the underlying themes are pretty advanced.

It's hardest to compare playability/interactivity with the movie industry since there is no direct equivalent for movies. I guess the best comparison would be how much a movie "involves" you in it's plot and characters. Hard to say which movie era the games industry is in with regards to this.

Am I smoking crack or does this make some sense? I just wanted to compare the where we are right now with games compared to where movies after their inception.
Old 09-18-03, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yet no mention of gameplay.
Old 09-18-03, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Um...

"Story and theme" wise there were movies made well before the '80s (even as far back as the '20s) that deal with much, much weightier issues than anything a video game could ever come up with.
Old 09-18-03, 11:51 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I don't understand...are you saying that most modern videogames feature Molly Ringwald?
Old 09-18-03, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I've taken dumps that have better plot than your average video game. Usually better graphics too.
Old 09-18-03, 12:27 PM

I think I'm going to take a nap.
Old 09-18-03, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I figured this would be hard to explain. Basically I was thinking that the current state of videogames is sort of like I remember the movie industry in the 80's. Entertaining, somewhat sterotypical but enderaing characters, and just starting to deal with tough themes in a gritty realistic way.

I was trying to figure out a valid "era" analogy between the state of games and the state of movies. Maybe I only make sense to myself.
Old 09-18-03, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Maybe. First statement that's made sense in this thread!
Old 09-18-03, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 188 Likes on 105 Posts
I think videogames are more like the 70s. Don't ask me why. They just are.
Old 09-18-03, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think more like the 20's.
Old 09-18-03, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by The Franchise
I figured this would be hard to explain. Basically I was thinking that the current state of videogames is sort of like I remember the movie industry in the 80's. Entertaining, somewhat sterotypical but enderaing characters, and just starting to deal with tough themes in a gritty realistic way.
You've got to be kidding. Film in the 1970's was much more gritty and realistic.
Old 09-18-03, 06:50 PM
Banned

So I guess that would make old school games like the movies of the 70s. Ah yes it makes total sense now.
Old 09-18-03, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by lesterlong
So I guess that would make old school games like the movies of the 70s. Ah yes it makes total sense now.
Wow.. you're right.. creepy.
Old 09-19-03, 09:31 AM

IMO video games are more like movies in the 90's. All flash and no substance. The 70's, movies can be characterized by great stories and characters (Godfather, Star Wars and many others). The 80's showed some better fx movies but still relied on story and character (ET, Raiders of the Lost Ark). In the 90's, computer fx starting really picking up speed. Directors were using them for everything, whether they need to or not, and not focusing on storytelling. (Independance day and Godzilla come to mind among others). Style over substance had taken root.

Over the past few years, I think that video games tend to be more concerned with showing good graphics rather than story or gameplay (although I do think this is getting better recently). Story and character have taken back seats to "real 3D", cel shading techniques, flying body parts and realistic explosions.

Back when games were starting out they didn't have the graphics or the tools to look good so they needed to have engaging gameplay (all the classics like asteroids and joust). Then stories and characters developed as graphics got slightly better (Kings's quest style adventure games). Over the past few years, with the explosion of graphics cards and 3D graphics, the look of a game has been the big selling point.
Old 09-19-03, 09:33 AM

I would say that the games with the best stories were the old Infocom text adventures...no graphics at all.
Old 09-19-03, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
this thread confuses and bothers me.