Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Gamespy's 25 Most Overrated (Overhyped?) Games of All Time

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Gamespy's 25 Most Overrated (Overhyped?) Games of All Time

Old 09-17-03, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts
I honestly think they only played the first level of Battletoads, if even that.

Repetitive gameplay? Did they not get to climb the snakes, ride the bikes, surf, have snowball fights, get chased by the clinger winger, repel down a cavern, etc?

And while the very basic controls are pretty close to TMNT, the gameplay is very different between TMNT and Battletoads.
Old 09-17-03, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I didn't get to read the article (I'm at work).. but if they said the gameplay of 'Toads was repetitive, they are flat out retarded. Maybe they should just go back to playing PC games where the extend of you play is pointing and clicking on what you want to kill. Idiots.
Old 09-17-03, 11:16 AM
Retired

Battletoads was great. Other than that I agree with their other choices. Some of the other games were good, but definitely over-rated/hyped. The rest were games I either hated, or never had any interest in trying.
Old 09-17-03, 02:31 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by PixyJunket
This list is dumb. None of these games are overrated, they are all overhyped, and not even all of them were that.

Gamespy just doesn't have the testicles to do a real overrated list.

I will also agree with the Battletoads statement, that game pushed the limits of what the NES could do while remaining a fun (even if ultra-hard) game.
I have to agree with that. Gamespy dont have the balls to do a real overrated games list. Most of those games mentioned have never been overrated, maybe overhyped but not overrated. Theres is a big difference between the 2.

I'm not sure why people were complaining about the controls in The Getaway because it was easy for me. Cars acted more realistic then GTA3/VC and drivng much more fun then GTA3/VC. GTA3/VC are awsome but The Getaway is superior in my opinion.
Old 09-17-03, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Getaway was horribly executed. Not only was it on rails, you couldn't skip the 20 minute cut scenes.
It is not a bad game but definetly overrated.

And anyone who claims GTA3/VC is overrated, please define the term and how GTA fits it.

Remember, just because you don't like a game or can't get past a certain mission does not make it overrated.

I think the list so far is dead on. I'm waiting for Black and White to show up.

Doug
Old 09-17-03, 02:41 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Doug Schiller

Remember, just because you don't like a game or can't get past a certain mission does not make it overrated.
I agree with the latter, but disagree with the former. I think overrated simply means something has consistently gotten rated higher than you personally would rate it.

I think the GTA games are boring and repetitive, have lack luster graphics, and definitely don't deserver the "best game ever" hype both of them routinely have gotten IMO. Thus they are overrated to me.

Someone else may define overrated as a game a consensus of people think routinely got too high of marks, but I think that's lame as ratings of games are entirely subjective. One person's trash is another's treasure.
Old 09-17-03, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally posted by Doug Schiller

Actually, i think if you don't like a game that everyone else does, you'd think it was overrated. Opinions are going to vary on everything.
Old 09-17-03, 02:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

First let me say I have not played Vice City.. so here goes my take on GTA3 being overrated.

Once you get past the violence gimmick (and yes, it is a gimmick, because it's a point that is used to sell the game to pre-teens and teenagers) the game is mediocre. Yes, it is quite fun to run amok and cause lots of wanton destuction, but the missions themselves are boring. The game tries to be many things while not being good at any of them. "Shoot this guy", "Deliver this package", "Drive here".. these are the missions and they're aren't fun. The game is being thrown around as open-ended, but I felt that was thrown out the window once you started doing the assigned missions. Maybe I didn't get far enough? What I do know is that once I tried that and was no longer tearing the city up, I wanted to play another game, and I did. The game gets too much credit for it's violence and crime-related settings, but they do not a good game make.
Old 09-17-03, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,852 Likes on 1,226 Posts
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
Someone else may define overrated as a game a consensus of people think routinely got too high of marks, but I think that's lame as ratings of games are entirely subjective.
I personally disagree.

For instance, I don't like lettuce. A lot of people do. Does that mean lettuce is overrated? I would say that for the word 'overrated' to have any meaning <small>(not that the term is particularly substantial to begin with)</small>, it would have to encompass more than one person disagreeing with a group of other people.
Old 09-17-03, 02:57 PM
Retired

I still say overrated is a term only to be applied to the individual. People just have too different opinions on everyting to apply it at the macro level.
Old 09-17-03, 05:25 PM

My vote has to go to DOAX and I'm shocked none of you have mentioned it yet.
Old 09-17-03, 05:38 PM
Retired

Good call. Most overated game in a highly overated/hyped series IMO.
Old 09-17-03, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Resident Evil - hate the controls for one thing, and they haven't changed for however many years now.
Mario Sunshine - something about the gameplay just didn't grab me anywhere near like Mario 64 did. Still a good game (so far).
Final Fantasy 9 - what a dud, supposedly going back to the series roots, but I thought that the plot and characters (which were good in 7 and 8) where incredibly dull this time round.
Old 09-17-03, 06:23 PM
Retired

Good call. The RE series has always been plagued by bad controls, and the novelty of the scary atmosphere wore off after part II. The rest of the series has just be more of the same old shit over and over again IMO.

Maybe 4 will change this as there's supposed to be some big changes, but I won't hold my breath. I'll just wait for Eternal Darkness 2.

Last edited by Josh Hinkle; 09-17-03 at 07:15 PM.
Old 09-17-03, 07:57 PM
Banned

heh, I never had problems with the controls in Resident Evil, its weird cuz many of you have problems with the controls for RE and The Getaway but both came clearly right in my hand. maybe I'm just special
Old 09-17-03, 09:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 487 Likes on 286 Posts
Originally posted by DARTH GAMER
My vote has to go to DOAX and I'm shocked none of you have mentioned it yet.
Were there a lot of people who rated this game very highly? I know Gamespot only gave it around a 6, and most people here considered it simple fun, but nothing to get overexcited about. So I don't know if I would consider this game overrated since many people felt it was lacking in areas and needed polish. Also I don't know how any DOA game can be overrated when I can't recall them getting obscenely high ratings other than in graphics. Besides Trigger and I, I don't think anyone on this board even considers it a fun series. So maybe you have a problem with the series, but I don't recall anyone ever calling it the greatest fighting game.
Old 09-17-03, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I say this list is lame, gamespy is lame and everything is lame. end of story
Old 09-17-03, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally posted by Bugg
Shenmue
How dare you.
Old 09-18-03, 07:15 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Added 5-10. They ought to make a few of you very happy.
Old 09-18-03, 07:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by KillaBeez
...but both came clearly right in my hand...
Moving to [Mature].
Old 09-18-03, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Bout time they added some games to stir people up a bit..
Old 09-18-03, 08:24 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree about Blinx, even though I haven't played it. It had a world of hype going for it after E3 2002, when everyone was proclaiming the time controls were an innovation in gaming. Once it was released, every critic trashed it. And I could tell they were really trying to like it, because they paid it every compliment they could, hanging on to the hype for dear life, before they ran out of "constructive" criticism and finally just let go.

But one thing I disagree with - Blinx still has the opportunity to be a full-fledged mascot, if they let it. They say "talk of Blinx's mascot-hood is long gone," but I think it's still a realistic possibility. Look at how Crash Bandicoot started out. That first game was trashed, a 3D platformer on rails that couldn't even stand against the reigning 2D/3D platformer of the early 32-bit era, Pandemonium. Comparisons between the two left Crash dead and buried, yet he became the number one icon for videogames. It just took some refining, and the second Crash Bandicoot game turned out to be an achievement.

I stayed away from Blinx, in hope of a sequel which would reintroduce the character in a better light. The franchise definitely has some muscle behind it - ex-Sonic Team members, Microsoft's generous marketing muscle, and the best system technically to work with. I just hope they can leverage those factors to make the game they should have, because I really do think they have something really good they can work with.

It was John Waters who said in an article I read, filmmakers shouldn't be remaking the good films, they should try and remake the horrible films into good ones. I think that says something about Blinx.

Jeremy
Old 09-18-03, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I agree completely with FF7, but Halo? I do understand where they are coming from when they say that they don't believe that the game should have gotten such high marks. It was a fine shooter, but not the finest I've ever played. Now I just hope to see State Of Emergency in the top 5.
Old 09-18-03, 08:48 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Their main complaint with Halo seemed to be that it was on a console, which I think was a bit unfair.
Old 09-18-03, 09:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,031 Likes on 4,117 Posts
Originally posted by Groucho
Their main complaint with Halo seemed to be that it was on a console, which I think was a bit unfair.
That and that it wasn't online. But with no online plan, how can you blame them? It's stupid, plain and simple.

As far as FF 7 goes, I'll just continue to agree to disagree. I thought it was a good game, it held my interest and got me into RPGs. I think it probably got a lot of people into RPGs. It may not have been as eatrth-shaking as the media hyped, but it was a solid game.

By that standard (and Halo too), I strongly suspect a GTA game for the PS2 will be #1. Let 'em rank it, I don't care. If a game is fun and holds my interest a year or two after release, it's a major success in my book.

I don't know what is acheived when you put outright failures like Tomb Raider AOD and Blinx alongside major hits like Halo and FF7. The list becomes meaningless.

But Pixy, the forum is yours. Have a field day.

Last edited by Decker; 09-18-03 at 10:28 AM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.