Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Official Unpopular Video Game Opinions Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-03, 03:06 PM
Wag

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
He probably meant CD-i rather than 3DO.
Yes CD-i is what I meant. Sorry about that. I got my failed consoles mixed up! hehe

Another unpopular opinion was that the Sega Nomad was a sweet handheld system. Playing 16 bit Sega Genesis games on the go? Awesome. Being able to hook it to your TV and plug controllers into it? Awesome. Having an extremely short battery life. Arghh.

Last edited by Wag; 09-17-03 at 03:09 PM.
Old 09-17-03, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't think nobody denied the fact that having a portable Genny kicked ass. I think people were turned off by 30 minutes of battery life.
Old 09-17-03, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
Originally posted by Josh Hinkle
No kidding. I'm sorry to be perpetuating it here, but jesus christ, enough is enough. I'm so sick of seeing heated arguments over somethign as banal as opinions on video games. There's simply no reason to get upset if someone plays a game you like and doesn't care for it. I can see getting upset when someone bashes a game without playing it just because "it's kiddy" or they hate the X-box or whatever. But if someone plays a game and doesn't like it, just accept their opinion and move on. There's no reason to argue over opinions.
If you're so sick of it, then leave the forum. If you're so sick of it, then stay away from me. Don't just crap on my posts when they have nothing to do with you and you have nothing to add to the conversation since you didn't even bother reading the bulk of the conversation.
Old 09-17-03, 04:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by Trigger
In previous posts, you said the graphics are nothing special - and that was a reason you offered for not liking it, and in this post you say graphics don't matter. Which is it?
Look again, I never said graphics are nothing special. Infact, I havent said anything about the graphics until I said graphics dont matter for me.

Like I said before, I have many reasons for not likeing HL and not all reasons I put are in the same post.

A)too slowed paced for the length of the game which made it boring and not very fun at all and did not give enough action when needed
B)i didn't get the feel of the charecters like gordon or the scientists because i didnt care much if they died or not and didnt care what happens next
C)the story is not interesting for the length of the game and most of the time, you would be just running and jumping
D)there was no reason for black ops and us marines to kill each other since they are both from American Military agencies or whatnot
E)it tried to give a cinematic feel but how can you if the main charecter doesn't talk or even say a peep, mind you, I dont mind if the main charecter doesnt talk ex. GTA3 but GTA3 didnt give a cinematic feel and it only focused around gameplay
F)the ending is too short and you have 2 choices and I tried both endings and showed us nothing spectacular or really said anything to keep you interested
G)no chain gun, may sound stupid but having a game where you have aliens is a must for a chain gun ex. Doom, Serious Sam etc.

If you still cant understand, heres a simple fact for you since you cant understand my other posts but other people did understand so I'm confused why didnt you get it. I dont like HL singleplayer because I got no fun (gameplay which gameplay contains many elements from the game) out of it. If you still cant understand, well, then, god help us all.
Old 09-17-03, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mommy WOW, I'm a big kid now!
Old 09-17-03, 04:21 PM
Retired

Lighten up. I'm not going to leave the forum. I want to see it change and go back to being a place to civilly discuss video games. It's fine to discuss the merits of a game. It's ridiculous to see heated arguments over opinions of something as silly and unimportant as video games. All it takes is for people to respect others opinions, and respectfully disagree with them. I'm getting ready to post a thread suggesting just that, to hopefully get some people to think before starting stupid arguments.

I haven't crapped on any of your posts. You just got singled out here as you were the latest to jump all over someone for their opinion (and then claim that you didn't care whether he liked it or not).

Again, if you don't like my posts, just put me on your ignore users list. It'll save you wasting bandwith with post like the above, and losing years off your life getting stressed out and pissed off on a stupid internet message board. You really need to lighten up, you seem to be very bitter for some reason. At least 50% of your posts are jumping all over someone for something (usually holding a different opinion than your own).

At any rate, I'm posting within forum rules as far as I know, so either deal with it or use the ignore user feature. Otherwise quit whining.
Old 09-17-03, 04:35 PM

Time to lighten the mood..

This game will make anyone cry:
Old 09-17-03, 04:36 PM
Retired

Yep, what an awful game.

Shame too, I really liked the original Bubsy on the SNES.
Old 09-17-03, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The Xbox controllers are kludgy and make Halo an unplayable mess.
Old 09-17-03, 04:39 PM
Retired

Originally posted by porieux
The Xbox controllers are kludgy and make Halo an unplayable mess.
Agree on the original.

The Type S is fine though, other than the placement of the white and black buttons (haven't played much Halo, not sure how much they are used in it).
Old 09-17-03, 04:42 PM

Didn't know they redesigned them. Maybe I'll try again sometime....
Old 09-17-03, 04:46 PM
Retired

The type S is much smaller and the button layout is different. I actually like it better than the Dual Shocks, but not as well as the GC controllers. I hated the original. Way too big for my hands.
Old 09-17-03, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I haven't found a game that requires the black and white buttons to be used for anything action wise. They're usually used for little options. I agree they are better than the Dual Shock, analog triggers are great, and the analog stick in the centerpiece, since it's used the most. The analog stick itself is decades beyond the PS2 one, which I've found to be slippery and hold your thumb well (this was HIGHLY apparent with Gitaroo Man.. and highly frustrating too).

Wavebird > Everything
Old 09-17-03, 05:16 PM

I like the Dreamcast controllers the best.
Old 09-17-03, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The D-Pad on the DC controller is like a sharp knife anxious to cut your thumb. Prolonged play of fighting games of shooters is DANGEROUS.

I kid you not.
Old 09-17-03, 05:34 PM
Retired

I hated the DC controllers. I actually used the madcatz dreampad (or something like that). Only time I've ever prefered a third party controller.

I agree totally with Pixy's thougths on the Type S. The PS2 analog stick sucks, and it's in a stupid place and needs to switch with the d-pad (just like the type s).
Old 09-17-03, 06:58 PM
Admin Emeritus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
THIS IS AN UNPOPULAR VIDEO GAME OPINIONS THREAD.

This means that you will, more than likely, not agree with what other people have to say in here. There's no reason, especially in this thread, to give people crap about their opinions. People are entitled to hate a game that everyone else loves, and they're also not required to validate their opinions for everyone else, either.
Old 09-17-03, 07:12 PM

I used to stick up for the old XBOX controllers until Star Wars: KOTOR. After playing that game for 30+ hours the area on my thumb that would press the buttons became extremely sore. The buttons on the S controller are much easier on the thumbs.

Back to the topic at hand, MY opinions:
- Games that require you to sneak around for most of the game, like Metal Gear Solid 2 and Splinter Cell, are boring.
- The controls in Timesplitters 2 are pretty good.
- The awkward Asteroids/Space War style combat in Star Control II ruined the game. (I only played the 3DO version so the PC one may be better.)
- Panzer Dragoon Saga was only a decent game, not the orgy of gaming goodness people made it out to be.
Old 09-18-03, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
I finally picked up KOTOR and played for about an hour.

This games is dangerously close to SUCKING in my book.
Old 09-18-03, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i can't stand HALO
Old 09-18-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally posted by Giantrobo
I finally picked up KOTOR and played for about an hour.

This games is dangerously close to SUCKING in my book.
Get off the first planet, and then come back to me.
Old 09-18-03, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The Atari Jaguar console (with Cybermorph) was truly ground-breaking. [Insert dry play-on-words response here.] And I really liked the controllers too! [Really.]
Old 09-18-03, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

- Online play is too often used to mask poor single-player design. If the single-player mode is bad then the game is bad.

- Stuntman was excellent. Frustrating and difficult, yes, but games that are this hard yet still keep you coming back for more abuse are few and far between.

- War of the Monsters is the best fighting game ever. The control system actually makes sense to me, making this the only fighting game at which I don't totally suck
Old 09-18-03, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
drmoze, didn't the jaguar controller have like 20 something buttons? Were there games that actually used most or all of them or where they just for show?
Old 09-18-03, 11:12 PM

Originally posted by NC-36

- Stuntman was excellent. Frustrating and difficult, yes, but games that are this hard yet still keep you coming back for more abuse are few and far between.[/B]

True that.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.