Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Any chance Killer Instinct will get re-released?

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-03, 08:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

or should I just go out and buy a super nintendo to play it. I loved the 100 hit combos. It was just a fun game to play. Seems like the newer titles aren't just fun to play. Thanks

Last edited by pdutta2000; 09-12-03 at 08:58 AM.
Old 09-12-03, 09:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

That was a fun game when it was around. I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to rerelease it, but wasn't the game done by Rare? If so, then I'd love to see a rerelease on XBox. Another similar fighting game I enjoyed was Primal Rage. Now that's a game I'd love to see rereleased(or at least given a sequel), but doubt it will ever happen.
Old 09-12-03, 10:40 AM

Originally posted by PalmerJoss
That was a fun game when it was around. I wouldn't put it past Nintendo to rerelease it, but wasn't the game done by Rare? If so, then I'd love to see a rerelease on XBox. Another similar fighting game I enjoyed was Primal Rage. Now that's a game I'd love to see rereleased(or at least given a sequel), but doubt it will ever happen.
Rare owns the KI property. If they do decide to make another one, don't expect it till next generation at the earliest.
Old 09-12-03, 10:41 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Actually N64 had Killer Instinct and not Super Nintendo
Old 09-12-03, 10:50 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by neiname
Actually N64 had Killer Instinct and not Super Nintendo
Actually N64 had Killer Instinct 2 and Super NES had the first KI
Old 09-12-03, 11:55 AM

Originally posted by Merrial
Actually N64 had Killer Instinct 2 and Super NES had the first KI
Actually the N64 version wasn't a straight port of KI 2, it was it's own titled Killer Instinct Gold. Not sure of the differences between the two but if we're going to get technical...
Old 09-12-03, 02:13 PM

You guys made me want to play KI, time for me to bust out my SNES. That game was so great, eventhough I sucked at it and never really got the hang of the combos. I guess the main reason for that was because I was too busy with Mortal Kombat at the time.
Old 09-12-03, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 190 Likes on 163 Posts
How did they fit the game into a cartridge back in the day? The MAME version of KI needs like a 125 MB hard drive image to run. Was the SNES KI toned down graphically when compared to the arcade version?
Old 09-12-03, 03:15 PM

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
How did they fit the game into a cartridge back in the day? The MAME version of KI needs like a 125 MB hard drive image to run. Was the SNES KI toned down graphically when compared to the arcade version?
The "MAME version" you speak of is an actual dump of the arcade program and HD image hence the large size. The SNES version, like any other home version of an arcade game had to be programmed from scratch using the technology of the system.

In the case of Killer Instinct, RARE used the same technology they used for Donkey Kong Country on the SNES and probably wrote new code for the N64 version.

You're comparing apples and oranges here, not to mention gray area piracy. :P
Old 09-12-03, 03:21 PM

There's so many differences between the arcade and SNES version that it's not even funny.

But it was still a great SNES game. They even kept the silly Glacius three hit unfinished combos.
Old 09-12-03, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Killer Instinct 2 is one of the best arcade machine game that i play everyday on my Lunch Break in School. " It take mine $0.50 cents to kill the BOSS"

It's great if they upgrade the graphic & re-release Killer Instinc 2 Arcade version w/ extra Character for GC/BOX/PS2 but i don't think it ever happen.

Last edited by Jtnguyen12; 09-12-03 at 03:28 PM.
Old 09-12-03, 03:29 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I think a port of the old arcade version would be cool for XBox owners....that is of course if they dont already have it on their Xboxes .
Old 09-12-03, 06:04 PM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
Did they ever release a Killer Instinct for Dreamcast, or am I thinking of Mortal Kombar Gold?

Killer Instinct was a great game in its day. I loved the massive combos. Never did play the N64 version though.
Old 09-12-03, 06:09 PM

Youre thinking of Mortal Kombat Gold.
Old 09-12-03, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pwn3d.
Old 09-15-03, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 958 Likes on 665 Posts
That is my favorite fightin' game.

Anyone else as shocked as I was at the girls finishing move
Old 09-15-03, 12:30 PM

I broke down and picked up a Super NES with Killer Instinct off ebay for $20 shipped. Fully worth it. Can't wait to see the game on my 51" tv. I loved it when I played on the 13" tv.
Old 09-15-03, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought this game was good for its time but it has too much dial-a-combo in it. I think this game invented it actually. I remember when I was little trying to play it at the Arcade and some punk would come and start playing against me (without asking I might add) and do some 50 hit combos without giving me a chance to retaliate because I didn't know the breakers. As for a sequel they've been giving the "there are no plans" deal since they finished KI on the N64. But I wouldn't be surprised if they showed a demo movie just to gauge a reaction.

It has some pretty good music though, anyone have the Killer Cuts CD?
Old 09-15-03, 03:13 PM
Suspended

Originally posted by ~~ PAL ~~
The full motion video cutscenes were cut out. All of the 3D prerendered backgrounds were replaced with static single image backgrounds. Character detail and animation were greatly reduced. Sounds were also neutured.

KI Gold on N64 fared much better than KI on SNES did. The sprites were much larger, animation was smoother, and new realtime 3D backgrounds were used in place of the prerendered backgrounds.
Old 09-15-03, 06:55 PM

Originally posted by Outlaw

It has some pretty good music though, anyone have the Killer Cuts CD?
I missplaced my copy a few years back.. i know it's around here somewhere.

However, I was at Gamestop the other day and they had a shrinkwrapped copy labled as used for $3.99 with the disc. Of course I picked it up, but i haven't opened it yet... i know my disc is around here somewhere.