Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

Who is picking up the next consoles at launch time?

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 09-06-03, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 233 Likes on 166 Posts

Who has in the past and who plans to do it next wave?

Who's going to pick up the PSP at launch for $200-$300 in a year and a couple of months?

How about the GC2, which seems to be coming out in 2005? And the PS3 and XBOX2 on 2006?

How long did it take for the consoles to go from the $300 price to the $200 price this last time?

I love gaming but 1 grand is tough to swallow for the three consoles. Then there's the next GBASP and the PSP coming out. That's ~$1500 in systems after taxes. And of course you have to have games. And now it's not going to be four but FIVE systems coming out with games.

I can wait 5-6 months but could it take a year for the prices to come down?
Old 09-06-03, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,878 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Won't it depend on when the Action Replays come out for those systems?

I dunno, I've enjoyed my XBox enough that I'll definitely give the followup a shot next generation. When I make the plunge will depend on the launch titles.
Old 09-06-03, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by ctyner
Won't it depend on when the Action Replays come out for those systems?

That's a given
Old 09-06-03, 10:08 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
I won't pick up the PSP immediately, if at all.

As I understand it, Xbox2 and PS3 will launch about the same time in 2005 and GC2 will come later (2006). This is all up in the air at this point, of course.

But, given that scenario I will buy either Xbox2 or PS3 based on the launch titles. When the GC2 comes out I will evaluate its launch titles versus the consoles already out and decide accordingly.
Old 09-06-03, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i got SNES, PS1 and DC on launch day... everything else later on. Waiting is always smart... and it generally takes one heck of a game to entice me into buying consoles when they first come out and are expensive as heck. Anyone who paid $600 for a 3d0, or $399 for a Saturn knows what Im talkin about. Only way I would buy xbox2 (ybox?) on launch day is if a Splinter Cell game was a launch game....

j
Old 09-06-03, 10:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm pretty sure I read Nintendo's coming out in 2005 and the rest in 2006, because a lot was made about Nintendo wanting to beat the other consoles this time around a la Sony.
Old 09-06-03, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I normally pick up one of the systems at launch. From the SNES, N64, DC, and GC i picked all of those up on launchday. This next generation will depend on the titles obviously but there is a good chance i'll go with the next iteration of the Xbox.
Old 09-06-03, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,170 Likes on 4,200 Posts
Way too early to tell. There's so much misinformation out there. I remember in '99 going into a EB Games in HI and the store clerk was pressuring a mother into buying a DC when she asked about the upcoming PS2. He said "I know for a fact that the PS2 will be at least $500 when it comes out". I couldn't help myself and interupted, saying "That's not true. I really doubt it'll be more than $300, but nothing official has been announced". Once all the details are known, I'll make my decision, then. I got my PS2 at launch and was really happy, but when I look back, it really wasn't a very good launch, game-wise. At least I'm a litlle releived that it took about 18 months for the price to drop $100. The Xbox and GC dropped in price so quickly after launch (6 mo), that I'd have been pretty upset if I had bought one at launch time. If Xbox 2 comes out in the next 23 months (which I highly doubt), I'll probably find something wrong with my Xbox and return it to BB for a store credit, though.
Old 09-06-03, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Right now, I'm pretty sure I'll end up picking up the PS3 on launch day. Got my PS2 on launch day, why not the PS3? Subject to change, of course.
Old 09-06-03, 10:53 AM
Suspended

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts
I for sure will pick up the next Nintendo console (or handheld) at launch. The Xbox...maybe, depending what games are out, and if it is backwards compatiable. The next Playstation model will wait unless Sony changes there hardware quality (OOPS! Better not say anything bad about the great Sony...)
Old 09-06-03, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

depends on how much money i have in my pocket. if i got plenty of money, i will get them at launch - xbox2 and playstation3. if not, i can wait.

the PSP is a differents story... that can wait until it is about $100 or less! i want it to be like a cd walkman or an mp3 player - $50 or less.
Old 09-06-03, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I will buy the next Nintendo Game Pyramid or whatever at launch just like always. I will wait and see on the other two. If the PS3s are failing after a few months like the PS2s I will pass on those. I'm thinking the Xbox2 could be a very tempting console next generation.
Old 09-06-03, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts
I believe the Nintendo will launch first, with the other two a year later. The Sony will have problems mainly due to processor problems (just mo).

The problem will be that the next generation will not be nearly the huge jump that this one was. That may make people wait longer, especially if there is still support for the old system.

I will buy them at launch only if I can ebay themt he same day and double my money like I did with the PS2
Old 09-06-03, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
I might buy a PS3 close to launch. Of course it depends on the price- over $300 might cause me to wait.

GC2 I will pick up a bit later.

So far I do not see me picking up an XBox2 unless the focus shifts to RPG's.
Old 09-06-03, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'll get an Xbox after the first price drop. [Fanboy] Nintendo should just release the GC2 now with the way gamecube is selling [Fanboy]
Old 09-06-03, 01:31 PM

In the past I purchased a PS1 and PS2 when they first launched but when it comes to the PS3 I guess I will hold a wait and see approach and have a very close look at the games at launch before I buy.
Old 09-06-03, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

It's kool to pickup new Generation console comming out in 2005-2006

Will GC2 compatable w/ GC games

Will PS3 compatable w/ PS2 games "very highly hope for it"

Will XBOX2 Compatable w/ XBOX games.... otherwise is "NOTHING"
Old 09-06-03, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 395 Likes on 296 Posts
I never buy anything when it first comes out.
Old 09-06-03, 02:06 PM
I Don't Use Spoiler Tags

Well I have purchased every system sine the NES on release day, and I have even ordered the 3d0 and the CDi on release day(yes I am an idiot All also got the DC plus all of the release games( I beleieve it was 16) 4 controllers, 4 vmus and 2 sterring wheels, for less than $50 ( it is a long story but basically my local eb manager would let me trade in ps1 games( that I had forever, for $50 each game so I only had to pay $50 for over $1000 in DC gear.

I will be buying the Psp, on launch day as well as GC2, PS3(which has been confirmed to be backwards comp. with ps1 and ps2) and Xbox2 on on the launch day

plus I am saving my money starting april of 2004 to buy a 50 to 60 inch flat panel lcd tv in 2005, hopefully by then they will be out at around 6 grand.

And I just bought a panasonic 50"lcd tv about 3 weeks ago, and am buying my second gamecube(sold my first 1st) and my 2nd ps2(sold my 1st ps2) and a fragbox all this month.

guess I will be in debt forever, but I will be playing games in style and whooping everone in pgr2
Old 09-06-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have bought n64, gamecube, dreamcast, and gameboy advance and advance sp on release day, so i will buy Nintendo on the first day, there is always a killer launch game. The other two it will depend on the launch games. I'd prefer not to buy ps3 at all, but there will be some exclusive game that sucks me in, i have all 3 systems now, and i hate the ps2 but i like socom and i want to play tiger woods online. I hope sony improves the quality of the next system, the disc read errors and slow loading drive me nuts, I have never had a nintendo system with a single problem.
Old 09-06-03, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I sincerely doubt that I'll pick up any within the first year of launch after this gen. None of the systems had more than a single game I wanted for the first year and there were massive price cuts within 12 months for each console.
Old 09-06-03, 04:09 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
Yep, its really hard to answer this question without all the details being available.

That being said, I am most looking forward to the Xbox2.

IF it is backwards compatibale, and IF I find a good deal at launch time, and IF there is at least one 'must-have' launch game, then yes, I will buy it on launch day.

History: I've never bought on launch, but I did get the Xbox fairly early (before the price drop but when a deal I couldn't resist popped up).
Old 09-06-03, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 1 Post
I'm probably going to buy a PS3 and an Xbox2 at or around launch. Gamecube releasing another console so soon is a desperate move... normally they hang on to their consoles for 6 years, this will be 4 years. This is also the first I've heard of it - I had heard that the PS3 and Xbox2 were coming in 2005 and the GC was coming in 2006 or so. I'd like to see a link that supports otherwise.
Old 09-06-03, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
I'm someone who had to have everything at launch. From NES to Genesis/SNES to PS/N64 to Dreamcast. Though the dreamcast is/was a great machine, I felt like I got burned when it started failing, so much so that I wasn't going to buy any next gen system (PS2/Xbox/GC) and just stick with older games I hadn't beaten yet. My gf (now wife), however, went and ordered the PS2 and a bunch of games from amazon upon release... of course, they couldn't fulfill all their orders, and I got stuck with a bunch of games, no console, and a sad gf. So I went to BB every day on the week after the PS2 release at opening and picked one up.

Looking back on it, there were very few launch games that I really wanted, and most of the ones I did get were more because I was starved for games to justify the new system. I could've waited a year for the price drop. I bought a gamecube a year or so later, and though I love the machine, I don't regret waiting until the price drop. Right now, I'm really tempted to get an Xbox, but again I can wait for a price drop. And if none comes, I still have a ton of backlog on games.
]
Old 09-06-03, 05:50 PM
Banned

I got xbox and most of the games first thing but I learned to wait so I get **** when it comes down in price. I no longer get anything at lanch now unless it's a game I must have really bad.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.