Reload this Page >

So I got XBox Live ...

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

So I got XBox Live ...

Old 08-17-03, 06:59 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So I got XBox Live ...

I traded in a few old dust collecting games and got $30 for it. So I added 70 and bought XBox Live and Ghost Recon Island Thunder. Been playing it non stop and I love it. I'm a huge Socom fan, but all the cheaters and old maps has gotten tiring.

So, list a few must have Live games along with your GRIT tags if you have it.
Old 08-17-03, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 803 Likes on 495 Posts
Not to hijack this thread, but can you ever find Live for less than $49.99 - $5? I'm sorta interested in it (though the only Live-enabled game I have right now is MechAssault), but I really have a hard time justifying spending that much for another online service when the PS2 is free (yes, I know it's a much better system and all, but that's just a hurdle for me that I have a real hard time getting over). What I find frustrating is that it's $39.99 at Costco.com, but shipping and tax put it at $49, so what's the point?
I'm very wary of Half.com or Ebay since if they've used the subscription, the item is worthless (though they still seem to be selling well).
Any thoughts? Thanks.
Old 08-17-03, 07:26 PM

I have Mechassault, Ghost Recon and Unreal.

I have played UC and GR, but I have been playing MA loyally for9 months now as it is my favorite. MA seems to have just the right speed and gameplay to make it my favorite and the numerous downloads are a plus.

I might get MotoGP2 in a few weeks. I liked MGP1 alot when I was a Beta tester for LIVE.
Old 08-17-03, 07:27 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Again, not to hijack the thread, but I do have one question. Decker, could you please fully explain your sig to us?

Back on topic, I've heard that Unreal and Castle Wolfenstein are a lot of fun w/ Live, but I don't have much firsthand experience with Live.

And as far as discounts on it go, occasionally a store like BB or CC will have a $10 or $20 off special if you buy Live and a Live game, possibly letting you use one or two of our $5 coupons also.
Old 08-17-03, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Trevor
Again, not to hijack the thread, but I do have one question. Decker, could you please fully explain your sig to us?
It's a quote from Jack Black in High Fidelity.
Old 08-17-03, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Decker, I read at gamespot that all the new XSN games will come with two months free LIVE. So if your on the fence about getting LIVE, then wait until a live game that you want to play comes out and try it out then.
Old 08-17-03, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 266 Likes on 186 Posts
And as far as discounts on it go, occasionally a store like BB or CC will have a $10 or $20 off special if you buy Live and a Live game, possibly letting you use one or two of our $5 coupons also.
Also, when the list price for XBox Live hops up to $69.99, reportedly it'll be packaged with the full version of "MechAssault".

Of note as well, I've read that GR:IT is only $29.99 this week at K-Mart.
Old 08-17-03, 07:42 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Decker
Not to hijack this thread, but can you ever find Live for less than $49.99 - $5? I'm sorta interested in it (though the only Live-enabled game I have right now is MechAssault), but I really have a hard time justifying spending that much for another online service when the PS2 is free (yes, I know it's a much better system and all, but that's just a hurdle for me that I have a real hard time getting over). What I find frustrating is that it's $39.99 at Costco.com, but shipping and tax put it at $49, so what's the point?
I'm very wary of Half.com or Ebay since if they've used the subscription, the item is worthless (though they still seem to be selling well).
Any thoughts? Thanks.
Look at it this way you paid $40 for the network thing for PSX and you got no headset with it so going on line with xbox cost the same as PSX2. I mean the headset comes with that one game and added $10 to the cost then you count the $40 network thing so in the end they both cost the same to go on line and do the same crap.

PS. My tag is Wolf Wood and I own MA and NFL2k3.

Last edited by TOPDAWG; 08-17-03 at 07:44 PM.
Old 08-17-03, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally posted by Phuzbox
It's a quote from Jack Black in High Fidelity.
Actually it's John Cusack. He uses the phase because he wanted to know since his girlfriend had said she hadn't had sex with a guy YET, was she still planning to. This is the way he phrased it to Jack Black as a "hypothetical". Beyond being one of my favorite movies, I still find it funny that I STILL haven't seen Evil Dead 2 yet, but I still plan to.

Anyway, rent the movie. You won't be disappointed.
Old 08-17-03, 07:48 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 145 Likes on 109 Posts
Originally posted by Decker
Anyway, rent the movie. You won't be disappointed.
Rent High Fidelity? or Evil Dead 2?

Actually, I own them both......but I may have not watched either...see my sig....
Old 08-17-03, 08:02 PM
Banned

Yeah guys, the starter kit came with Live demos of MA and MotoGP, and Ive been playing them alot as well and like them.

I'm thinking my next purchase for Live might be Wolfenstein, but since I have Recon - I was thinking of a sports game. Not football, since I have Madden for PS2, so .. I don't know .. hmm.
Old 08-17-03, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Rent High Fidelity? or Evil Dead 2?
High Fidelity. I can't really vouch for those Evil Dead films, as you probably know.

Actually, I own them both......but I may have not watched either...see my sig....
I like it. Probably rings true for me (except I don't observe Lent).
Old 08-17-03, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

isn't there a version that comes w/ Tetris? if i had known that before, i'd have gotten that one.

frankly, i'm the biggest cheapskate w/ online games...

well, first, i used to hate online games b/c a lot of people are just jerks.

second, i hate monthly payments - why i don't buy games like phantasy star online or have a cell phone.

still, $50 for the live kit - 1st year free? absolutely worth it to me. i've never enjoyed online gaming as much as on xbox live. of course, the only game i really play is Moto GP2 and i was lucky enough to find a league that is mostly cool about racing. http://www.xbox.com/LIVE/People/Article-PlanetMGP.htm

i may pick up Ghost Recons ($30/each at kmart right now)
Old 08-17-03, 08:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

It's not too terrible a deal, I guess. But like I said, I still have a problem with it. One, you're really paying mostly for the subscription. It's not like Sony where you are actually buying hardware. Secondly, seeing as there's only one game I have for it and am currently up to my ears between PS2 Online games of SOCOM, Amplitude, ATV Offroad 2 and THPS4 (still unopened!) and the 4-5 new Xbox games I've picked up in the past few weeks I really don't think I'd use it much at all. Still, once something really cool comes out that I want to play online (certainly by the time of Halo 2) I'll probably have to pick it up. I don't want to start my subscription before I actually think I'll use it.
Quite a bummer that the price is going up and they'll be bundling it with a game I already have. Does anyone know when this will be? I certainly want to get in before that.

Last edited by Decker; 08-17-03 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-17-03, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I made a big mistake when I bought my sub to Live. In the same purchase I got Star Wars:KotOR. D'oh!!

So, what I want to ask is, what's the drill to getting a game going. It's not like gamespy is it, where games are going on and you can jump into one on the fly? Do you have to set up a game, then start one, and it's locked to anyone trying to get in?
I also bought Ghost Recon, but also, haven't even played that. I don't even know what it's about really.

Ah, im such a newbie with these consoles.
Old 08-17-03, 09:58 PM
Mod Emeritus

If you like SOCOM, try GR. It rocks.
Old 08-18-03, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 137 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally posted by Gallant Pig
If you like SOCOM, try GR. It rocks.

Ghost Recon is indeed fun.
Old 08-18-03, 07:37 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 266 Likes on 186 Posts
Originally posted by Neitzl
So, what I want to ask is, what's the drill to getting a game going. It's not like gamespy is it, where games are going on and you can jump into one on the fly? Do you have to set up a game, then start one, and it's locked to anyone trying to get in?
It depends on the game, but in all of the Live-enabled games I own, at least going straight off the top of my head, they allow users to join in on a game at any time. If you start a private game, obviously, you can control who comes in and when the game starts.
Old 08-18-03, 10:24 AM

I haven't picked up Island Thunder yet, I traded in my original Ghost Recon for Return to Castle Wolfenstein, since I figured that not as many people would be playing the original Ghost Recon when Island Thunder came out. Its much easier to jump in and out of games in Wolfenstein, there isn't a spawn to camp and its similar to Ghost Recon with team play, but its a lot faster paced. I never bought Wolfenstein for the computer, so I love it. Axis vs Allies, a few classes to choose from, different game types, its overall a really fun game on Live.
Old 08-18-03, 10:56 AM
2017 TOTY Winner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you have GR Island Thunder can you still play on the GR maps?
Old 08-18-03, 11:55 AM
Banned

I never had the original Ghost Recon, so I can't anwser that.
Old 08-18-03, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

any one know when they are going to bundle MechAssulat with live. I just got my Live pack, but havent opened it yet since I am waiting for my audio rack to come in
Old 08-18-03, 11:57 AM
Banned

My Live pack came with a demo of MotoGP and MA. The demos are very good since you can basicly do everything besides the offline play.