DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Had a bad dream. (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/311525-had-bad-dream.html)

WOWZY 08-14-03 10:03 PM

Had a bad dream.

I guess with all the MSBlast worm talk, I dreamed that my Xbox had a virus and kept getting the BSOD. That's really all I remember about it.

I know it sounds far fetched, But it did get me wondering if it is possible for the Xbox to get a virus through LIVE?

Copenhagen 08-14-03 10:06 PM

:shudders:

s}{ammer 08-14-03 11:37 PM

not until someone thinks about it. Thanks wowzy! Anything is possible.

blakwngbrd 08-15-03 12:05 AM

Don't think so. Does XBOX run Windows? I'm reasonably certain MSBlast exploits a Windows security bug.

WOWZY 08-15-03 12:24 AM

Originally posted by blakwngbrd
Don't think so. Does XBOX run Windows? I'm reasonably certain MSBlast exploits a Windows security bug.
Of course the MSBlast worm wouldn't work on the Xbox.

I was just speaking of a virus in general.

khai 08-15-03 01:58 AM

Not likely at all.

How does XBOX Live work? Everything is connected through MS's servers first, yes?

gcribbs 08-15-03 02:05 AM

give those who hate MS time and i am sure they will figure out a way if it is possible.

AGuyNamedMike 08-15-03 07:55 AM

The XBox runs a proprietary OS based on Windows 2000. Yes, it is vulnerable. If you can infect a cellular telephone, you can infect the XBox.

Derrich 08-15-03 09:39 AM

For all we know, the XBox had the ms03-029 vunerability and Microsoft just cleaned it up during one of the automatic updates.

D

menaz 08-15-03 01:04 PM

I remember a while back reading an article by Microsoft about this subject and it explained exactly why according to them the xbox could not get a virus. I dont remember their reasons, but I remember thinking it was BS, I am sure if somebody wanted to do it badly enough, they could.

Outlaw 08-15-03 01:26 PM

I don't think its likely yet, but I do remember reading about a virus that infects cell phones. If they figured out that, I'm sure someone will figure out how to infect an X-Box, its only a matter of time. But again, I don't think it'll be that soon.

PixyJunket 08-15-03 01:33 PM

Not syaing it's impossible, it's just not likely.. as far as I know programs run off of the discs, right? Right!! ..and unless you have a modchip, that's all you're getting. I would assume that if any Xbox is vulnerable to attack, it'd be modded ones as they are allowed to execute code not on the game discs.

tanman 08-18-03 10:36 PM

They can infect cell phones?! aye caramba

Dragon Fly 08-19-03 12:29 PM

i would think the only way it would be possible would be if you downloaded a save off the net, or the downloadable content became corrupted. Everything else just runs off the disks as far as I know.

Cyberock 08-19-03 12:54 PM

I think it would be really hard to infect the xbox with a virus. I know xbox like someone else said runs on a OS based on windows. I believe though that all the live connections go through microsoft servers so the virus would have to get into their main servers first to spread to the xbox. I would hope Microsoft took plenty of precautions to prevent something like that infecting their main servers.

Dragon Fly 08-19-03 01:25 PM

You would think so, but Microsoft has made booboos in the past. All it would take would be one person to outsmart them. I'm sure it "could" be possible, but i'm not worried about it.