Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

So, I traded in my GameCube yesterday for an XBox...

Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

Old 08-11-03, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been pretty down on the XBox since it came out, but my GameCube had been sitting gathering dust for way too long. Also, I'd been wanting to play KOTOR. I almost just bought an XBox, but I've got no reason to have all three systems (PS2 has always been my most-played system). So, I packed up my GameCube and the four games I still owned and trudged off to GameStop.

I was fairly shocked when they told me that they only gave $60 for used GameCubes (even more shocked that they sell 'em for $85). The GameStop employee told me there's virtually no demand for them anymore and that they had more used GameCubes in the back than XBoxes and PS2s combined.

I visit the videogame forum every once in a while and know people here get pissed when people start forecasting gloom and doom for Nintendo. Hell, so did I. I used to love Nintendo, and I wanted to love my GameCube. However, my experience at GameStop yesterday convinced me that my disappointment with Nintendo is not odd or unusual. For a next generation system to be sold used for $85 at this stage blows my mind. Even more telling is that GameStop can't sell them at that price.

On the bright side, I had a blast with KOTOR yesterday afternoon. Also picked up Jet Set Radio Future/Sega GT 2002 for $5.99. JSRF is incredibly fun as well, and all in 5.1 sound as well. Wish I would've picked up an XBox sooner...
Old 08-11-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

While there are some exciting things happening in the video game world, at the same time we are riding the peak of it's darkest hour..
Old 08-11-03, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Location: Austin, Texas XboxLIVE Gamertag: Golucky Timezone: Central (CST)
Welcome to the club
Old 08-11-03, 12:06 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
There's room in my home for both consoles.
Old 08-11-03, 12:09 PM
Banned

Welcome to the Dark Side.
Old 08-11-03, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It all started when Sega sold it's soul to SONY,MS by axing the DREAMCAST.
Old 08-11-03, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

congrats on the purchase, plenty of good games out there to keep you busy when you are done with KOTOR. I have now played KOTOR about 30 hours and this has got to be the most time I have ever logged on an RPG. You might want to check out Buffy if you get a chance, that is a great game.
Old 08-11-03, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Apocrypha
It all started when Sega sold it's soul to SONY,MS by axing the DREAMCAST.
They didn't sell their soul, it was beaten and picked at by corporate takeovers.
Old 08-11-03, 12:22 PM
Retired

I'm happy I bought an X-box, but there's no way I'd have traded my GC for it (or my PS2 for that matter). There's simply several exclusives on each system that I really want to play in the future.

Trading my GC would mean no Link in SC2, no Mario Kart, the next Zelda, the next Mario, Metroid Prime 2, F-zero, etc. all of which should be out in the next year or two.
Old 08-11-03, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

my gc is a dustcollector too. Only thing i play on it is RE0 and a little Super Monkey Ball (when the gf is over). I'll keep it, and prolly clean up on close-out sales of games and stuff... like every1 did with the DC...but the system has been another nintendo disappointment. Im not console bashing or whatever, Ive just been disappointed with Ninny consoles fron N64 onward.

j
Old 08-11-03, 01:46 PM

Maybe if you guys tried playing more than a couple games on your cube you'd enjoy it more. This is the reverse of the thread where the guy was slamming the Xbox after playing one game.
Old 08-11-03, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My GC is also just collecting dust but i can't quite yet bring myself to sell/trade it in. I think it is because of the low demand and i wouldn't get that much for it and it would make me a little sad to admit my disappointment in it.

Now games on the other hand i've slowly been selling/trading off - i just wish i could find someone who would give me a decent price for Metroid Prime or at least trade me a decent Xbox game for it. I played it for like 3 hours and couldn't get into it. Hrm.

As for Buffy i keep trying to find the old Buffy for cheap somewhere used and might be enticed to buy the new one later this month - they both look good.
Old 08-11-03, 01:58 PM
Suspended

I'm not big on trading in used systems. The ability to play a console exclusive game is worth more to me than the measly $ EB or Gamestop shells out.

I laugh when I think about my friends that traded their SNES or Genesis consoles along with copies of FF2+3, Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, Phantasy Star, etc. for some small amount of credit for a Playstation.

I like being able to dig out the old NES and pop in a copy of SMB3, Metroid, or Zelda when I get the urge. I'm sure that years from now, I'll enjoy being able to do the same with the current crop of games.

I'll admit that I don't drag the Colecovision out very often though.
Old 08-11-03, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As for the new buffy, I am concerned since it isn't the same company making it. I hope they licensed the engine from the original or at least improved on it. I would hate to think they screwed up the new buffy.
Old 08-11-03, 02:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was fairly shocked when they told me that they only gave $60 for used GameCubes
For $60, I would keep my Gamecube even if I didn't play it much. You never know what great games might appear in the future. And it would really suck to have to re-buy a system you sold earlier.
Old 08-11-03, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm one of those who is thinking of picking up a GameCube once Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is released.

I said it before but it's worth repeating. Nintendo is still doing what it's does best. Making a solid gaming only system and great first party games featuring it's stable of "family friendly" characters. But unfortunately that's not the direction the rest of the industry is moving. The Mario games are still fun but they aren't the end all and be all of gaming anymore. So it's only a matter of time before they either get in line with the rest of the industry and right the ship, or go the way of Sega.
Old 08-11-03, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Harlock, I don't think it's Nintendo that needs to change.. the industry right now is just caught up in a "fad".. once the novelty of beating up hookers wears off people are going to look for good solid games again, and Nintendo will ALWAYS offer that.
Old 08-11-03, 02:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 88 Likes on 62 Posts
Originally posted by Captain Harlock
I'm one of those who is thinking of picking up a GameCube once Metal Gear Solid: The Twin Snakes is released.
They better not be counting on much of that. I think that RE1 clearly established that there is a VERY limited audience who are interested in souped-up versions of older games (excluding the hand-held market). I honestly feel MGS was one of the greatest games I've ever played, and I might be interested in the GC someday for a few games, but certainly not to play MGS again with better graphics.
Old 08-11-03, 02:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by PixyJunket
Harlock, I don't think it's Nintendo that needs to change.. the industry right now is just caught up in a "fad".. once the novelty of beating up hookers wears off people are going to look for good solid games again, and Nintendo will ALWAYS offer that.
I will never tire of slapping hookers around. I do think your post is really wrong though. Back when Nintendo dominated the gamers were younger. Now we are older and want more mature games. My kids, 7 and younger, don't even like the nintendo games as much as they did a year or two ago. They would rather play whacked on xbox than anything on the n64. They like the ps2 and xbox but have not desire to get a gamecube. Nintendo will either have to MATURE or they will not survive.
Old 08-11-03, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree. People will never tire of the novelty of beating up hookers, fancy graphics, etc. The industry has changed. Look at the movie industry. Movies like Matrix Reloaded and Spiderman aren't going to win any awards for acting or directing excellence. Many people would call them mediocre at best in terms of artistic value. But that is where the money is. Summer blockbuster movies are laden with special effects and bring in the crowds - but they don't win best picture awards. Many people in the movie industry complain that the industry has been tainted with these low-quality mega-flicks.

But that's not going to change, because it's those movies that bring in the money. Same thing with the video game industry. Although Nintendo may continue to make money making quality family games, that is not where the money is now. Or will be in the future. The industry has changed permanently and it's not going to go back.
Old 08-11-03, 03:30 PM
Retired

Originally posted by Joshic
The industry has changed permanently and it's not going to go back.
Definitely true. And it's a damn shame IMO.
Old 08-11-03, 03:31 PM

Some excellent comments. The "kiddy" market is a niche market, no doubt about it. But I love the traditional Nintendo games the way they are and hope they don't sell out just for more $$$. I'm not interested in a game where Mario pisses on Bowser during the final boss battle, or where Link runs Zelda through with his "sword." I don't mind it if other characters engage in that behavior, but leave these classic characters alone!

Any kind of game, whether "kiddy" or "mature" gets boring after a while. I like a variety myself...so I think my Cube and my Xbox are perfect pals.
Old 08-11-03, 03:52 PM

congrats on a smart move, you have chosen well young padawan
Old 08-11-03, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Groucho
Some excellent comments. The "kiddy" market is a niche market, no doubt about it. But I love the traditional Nintendo games the way they are and hope they don't sell out just for more $$$. I'm not interested in a game where Mario pisses on Bowser during the final boss battle, or where Link runs Zelda through with his "sword." I don't mind it if other characters engage in that behavior, but leave these classic characters alone!

Any kind of game, whether "kiddy" or "mature" gets boring after a while. I like a variety myself...so I think my Cube and my Xbox are perfect pals.
I really don't think it's a "kiddy vs. mature" argument, but I think you hit on something very important; there has to be a balance. Variety is truley the spice of life, and that really applys to video games as well. Two of my favorite games are Vice City and Sly Cooper. You can't get more on the opposite sides of the coin than those two. But that shows you the variety that's out there.

With that said, I really do think that Nintendo dropped the ball when it came to one of it's biggest titles, Zelda. Alot of people have said that the whole look of the game turned them off ( on this board included). I myself thought it would have better served Nintendo to design Link like more of a Legolas type character (perhaps using the Soul Caliber character model) rather than one out of a Tom and Jerry cartoon.

If Zelda were taken in a somewhat different direction, I really think it could have done wonders for Nintendo's image. I realise that Zelda the Wind Waker has sold a whole boatload of copys, but I still think the game needed to be more of a "pioneering" effort. "Here we are! We are taking Nintendo into new territory and we're doing it with Zelda the Wind Waker!". Instead we got something that reinforces the "wholesome" image. Not that this is a bad thing, but it's out of step where the industry is heading and where gamers are heading.
Old 08-11-03, 04:35 PM

Originally posted by Young Vito
congrats on a smart move, you have chosen well young padawan
I don't think intelligence has anything to do with this, it's all about personal preference.

As for Zelda, I LOVED the new look and I don't think I'm in the minority opinion. Wind Waker turns heads, and to give Link a "Legolas" look would simply make it another game in the pack. I don't think it would have helped sales.

Nintendo did make a big push to show their "mature" side. The game was Eternal Darkness and it was a disappointment (sales wise...the game itself is great).

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.