Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Video Game Talk
Reload this Page >

So, I traded in my GameCube yesterday for an XBox...

Community
Search
Video Game Talk The Place to talk about and trade Video & PC Games

So, I traded in my GameCube yesterday for an XBox...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-03, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
You have to be kidding about the 3D thing. They have published some of the greatest 3D games ever made including Super Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, Zelda: Wind Waker just to name a few. Nintendo is probably the best 3D game publisher not the worst.

At least Nintendo's 3D games have a decent camera and the characters don't get stuck in walls all the time.

I hear the complaints sararekuforever has on the Cube. I don't agree 100% and I think its a bit over generalized in some respects, but I understand the frustration. Nintendo has to focus on being more 3rd Party friendly for the next console or they won't stand a chance.

BTW Shining Force belongs to Sega, Camelot can't do a SF game just because they did them on the Genesis and Saturn. I agree they should be working on a console RPG, but to be honest the Japanese type RPGs really don't sell that well anymore in the US so I doubt it would be the savior of the Cube here. Xenosaga was a failure in the US.
Old 08-14-03, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts
"Xenosaga was a failure in the US."

I remember reading an interview from a Namco rep, who said they were very pleased with their recent sales, which included Dead To Rights and Xenosaga on PS2. I believe he said Xenosaga sold 100,000 copies, which isn't really that bad considering only the hardcore rpg fans would be interesting in the game (30 minute+ cutscenes?)

Dean
Old 08-14-03, 02:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by darkside
You have to be kidding about the 3D thing. They have published some of the greatest 3D games ever made including Super Mario 64, Zelda: Ocarina of Time, Metroid Prime, Zelda: Wind Waker just to name a few. Nintendo is probably the best 3D game publisher not the worst.
100% serious. Mario 64 wasnt half the game Mario 3 or SM world was. it was in 3d... so what, it was less of a game. Blurry textures and a wander-around style dont make M64 a great game. zelda? meh. Metroid prime wasnt even made by nintendo, so lets not try to slip that one in there mmmmm-k?

its just my opinion, but the 3d stuff ninny has done hasnt been very special. I dont care about 3d metroids AT ALL. I'd pay $79.99 for a 2d metroid on gc... I wont pay $7.99 for a fps-style one. Again, it could be "just me" but like i said, as they have made more and more 2d stuff their market share has gone down more and more... while gba (where they still do create 2d games) enjoys complete domination of its market.

j
Old 08-14-03, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by jekbrown
100% serious. Mario 64 wasnt half the game Mario 3 or SM world was. it was in 3d... so what, it was less of a game. Blurry textures and a wander-around style dont make M64 a great game. zelda? meh. Metroid prime wasnt even made by nintendo, so lets not try to slip that one in there mmmmm-k?
j
I will slip that one in there because its a Nintendo game mmmmm-k. Are you going to break every game developer down for Nintendo or just Retro. Nintendo oversaw the development, they published it, its a Nintendo game. Mario 64 and Zelda OoT are considered two of the best games ever made by every respected game reviewer and game magazine around. Just because you like 2D games better doesn't make Nintendo bad at 3D gaming mmmmm-k.
Old 08-14-03, 03:16 PM

Nintendo was also the one that set the FPS bar with Goldeneye. Will someone say now that it wasn't Nintendo, it was Rare? Please. Nintendo oversees everything.
Old 08-14-03, 04:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by darkside
I will slip that one in there because its a Nintendo game mmmmm-k.
"oversaw developement" and "publishing" a game and actually developing a game are completely different animals. Metroid Prime is no more a Nintendo-made game than Soukyugurentai is a EA-made game.

[i] Mario 64 and Zelda OoT are considered two of the best games ever made by every respected game reviewer and game magazine around. [/B]
you actually enjoyed M64 more than Mario 3 or Mario World? or did magazine reviewers just tell you that you did?

[i] Just because you like 2D games better doesn't make Nintendo bad at 3D gaming mmmmm-k. [/B]
they arent "bad" they just arent anything special. You can talk about magazine reviewers all you want, videogame fans have left nintendo and if all their new 3d games were so "great", Nintendo would still own the videogame market. Fact is they aren't, and they don't.

btw, i never said I didnt like 3d games... i just said I didnt think ninny was that great at developing them.

j

Last edited by jekbrown; 08-14-03 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-14-03, 04:41 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Popularity != Quality
Old 08-14-03, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i agree with your point groucho, mario 64 is, after all, pretty popular...

j
Old 08-14-03, 04:59 PM

This East Coast stuff is crazy. I don't think Mario 64 was as good as SMB3 but it was a great first step. So was Zelda:OOT. It's all about progression (and progression might mean online/connectivity). Windwaker was brilliant progression IMO.
Old 08-14-03, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

"oversaw developement" and "publishing" a game and actually developing a game are completely different animals. Metroid Prime is no more a Nintendo-made game than Soukyugurentai is a EA-made game.
By your way of thinking Madden 2004 isn't an EA game either. I'm sure Tiburon just shows up once a year and asks them to publish a football game for them.

So your logic jekbrown is that only Miyamoto made games are Nintendo games which means Nintendo hardly makes any games and their 3D games are bad simply because you personally don't like them and because they made good 2D games. The fact 3 of their 3D games were games of the year also seems to reinforce how bad they are at making 3D games to you.

Super Mario 64 and Zelda OoT are two of the best games I have ever played and were considered two of the best by gamers and critics alike. Yes I prefered SM64 to Mario World, but I think they are both great games.

The reason Nintendo is losing market share isn't because of their 3D games which have sold well. They have to fix their problems in getting more third party support if they want to have mass appeal.

I'm sorry you personally don't like Nintendo's 3D games, but other than making them more violent to sell more copies there is nothing wrong with any of them. The camera is among the best I've used, much better than 3D games I've played from Sega, Konami, Infogrames, or EA. Not to mention you don't get stuck in walls very easily. This is something Rockstar and Infogrames could really work on.

It comes down to how much fun a game is to play and Nintendo's 3D games are just as much fun and challenging as their 2D ones.

Last edited by darkside; 08-14-03 at 05:42 PM.
Old 08-14-03, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

heh, if Nintendo's major franchises were still 2D we'd all be arguing how nintendo needs to make 3D games to compete with X-Box and PS2. Anyway I'm not going to argue since this is a nit-picky gripe and you're in the minority here.

The truth of the matter is, a lot of people like Nintendo's latest games and think they are excellent (source: www.gamerankings.com). Don't be afraid of change...change is good .

OT, I'm pretty sure Xenosaga sold above expectations. I think they expected 200,000 or so, and are now up to about 340,000. Can't remember exactly, but something like that.

Last edited by Outlaw; 08-14-03 at 05:40 PM.
Old 08-14-03, 06:29 PM

... while gba (where they still do create 2d games) enjoys complete domination of its market.
um...dude...this is just a hunch but the GBA has NO OTHER competitors..