DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   Better Trade in Offers- EB or Gamestop? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/309854-better-trade-offers-eb-gamestop.html)

dfriedland 08-06-03 03:09 PM

Better Trade in Offers- EB or Gamestop?

I've got some x-box and gamecube games i want to part with. ANyone now which store has a better trade in deal or generally gives more credit for games?

Thanks!

BadBrandon 08-06-03 03:19 PM

Your better off trying to trade off your games in the video game exchange forum or using other trading sites. But to answer your question, EB usually gives me more store credit.

SmackDaddy 08-06-03 04:46 PM

Depends on the games. I do know that Gamestop has been running a trade 3 (Xbox, GC or PS2) games and get an extra $10 credit. No yearly sports titles are eligable though. Plus, when you spend your store credit on new games you get about an 8-10% discount.

I tend to use Gamestop or Gamecrazy (Hollywood Video) rather than EB simply because I hate having to go to the local mall to get to an EB location, also they tend to sell their new games about $5 higher than other retailers.

Save Ferris 08-06-03 05:50 PM

EB has ripped me off/lied to me too many times so I go to Gamestop.

Gamestop ALWAYS matches the price that EB offers me. I simply go to EB first, find out what they'd offer and go to Gamestop and sometimes its a dollar less what they offer. I tell them EB's price and they change it.

dj_orinj_joos 08-06-03 09:33 PM

I haven't done much trading, but I did just trade in Zelda: the Wind Waker (I found a new, unsealed, display copy at Sam's Club for $9.40). Gamestop would only give me $22, but EB said they'd give me $28. When I got there, it actually rang up $30. So I like EB :-D

DeanoBKN 08-07-03 12:19 AM

Save Ferris, how has EB ripped you off/lied to you? Was it concerning the new return policy, or just mistakes on release dates, etc?

Dean

DVDTalker002 08-07-03 12:48 AM

dfriedland
what gamecube games? I'll give you hard sticky cash if I need your games.

Save Ferris 08-07-03 06:54 AM

Originally posted by Dean Kousoulas
Save Ferris, how has EB ripped you off/lied to you? Was it concerning the new return policy, or just mistakes on release dates, etc?

Dean

One time I had a gift certificate for $20 and i was going to buy a used game for $17. Simple yes? No.

-- they said I couldnt apply the giftcertificate towards TAX
-- said i HAD to buy something worth $20 or more

so i had to find some crappy game to make it go over $20 before i could use my gift certificate. Also the game i got was Silent Hill 2 for Xbox -- original version. The nice guys at the counter didnt tell me the 'plat. version' was available.

MrKen 08-07-03 08:19 PM

I got a 20 dollar rebate a few months ago, and the guy at the EB I shop at just changed the price of my 19.99 game to 20.01, then spotted me the penny.

Like you, I was expecting to pay about $1.50 tax, but apparently the coupon thingy comes off BEFORE tax is even added- so I couldn't buy a 19.99 game, because then my total would have been -.01. I was surprised I didn't have to pay anything, and he explained it to me that way and asked me if it was ok if he marked the game up 2 cents.

I guess the guy at your EB was just not good at his job or something.

Anyway, to answer the original question, it really depends on what I'm buying and what I'm trading in. For newer games, I find EB to be higher than Gamestop. For older games, they are about the same, and really low, but Gamestop usually has something going on like the aforementioned $10 bonus. Right now, best deal in town is definitely EB if you are planning on getting Madden or Soul Caliber.. they jack anything up $5 each- even $1 games like Madden 01. But again, its only good on those two games.

They are giving 25% extra toward a whole list of other games, but all I remember from it is KOTOR.