DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Video Game Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk-15/)
-   -   EB trade-in (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/video-game-talk/308469-eb-trade.html)

Pasco 07-30-03 06:42 PM

EB trade-in

I know EB's having a promotion that one can trade in their PS2 or Xbox for $100. Does anyone know when this ends? I know it's soon, but not exactly sure when. Thanks.

darkside 07-30-03 06:58 PM

I took advantage of it recently to dump my barely functioning PS2 since the systems don't even have to work for them to take them. I don't know when it ends but the store guys at the time were shocked that they were offering that much for systems. Have you tried calling one of the stores.? They might have an end date.

Gizmo 07-30-03 07:49 PM

Wow, my store always pays $100 for Xbox or PS2...

tanman 07-31-03 11:10 AM

They don't even have to work for them to take them? Will they take GCN for that price. It would be a nice way to get a GBA player and Wavebird.

Not A N00b 07-31-03 11:45 AM

It's always that much at Gamestop, though the systems do have to be in 100% working order.

trigun 07-31-03 12:00 PM

Originally posted by tanman
They don't even have to work for them to take them? Will they take GCN for that price. It would be a nice way to get a GBA player and Wavebird.
Why would the pay the same for a system that costs $30 less?

DeanoBKN 08-01-03 12:41 AM

We take in Gamecube's for $55. And yes, the systems don't usually need to work. They just need everything included (controller, cords, etc)

Dean

menaz 08-01-03 01:09 PM

Why dont they need to work?

menaz 08-03-03 03:13 PM

bump, see if anyone can answer my last question :)

Gizmo 08-03-03 04:33 PM

Because they will just send it to someone who will fix it (that's where all those defectives go). Besides, your going to use that store credit to buy more of there stuff, and thats exactly what they want.

ben12 08-03-03 11:30 PM

Is there any listing online of what they pay for trade-in games?

kuyax 08-04-03 07:17 AM

They have Soul Calibur II trade in deal.

EB is giving an extra $5 for trade-in pre-order. All kinds of games accepted including sports (don't know how much they worth though).

dfriedland 08-04-03 12:30 PM

ANy other trade 3 games get one deals going? (Beside F-Zero, I believe)

Travissk 08-04-03 02:16 PM

Does anyone know if the silver warranty seal on the PS2 is required for trade-in? My PS2 broke after its warranty ran out, and instead of sending it off to get it repaired I broke out the multimeter, checked the fuses, and eventually found that the drive control chip was broken. This would run me just under $50 I was told, and would require some soldering I'm not prepared to do. After that I left for college and got a gamecube.

Basically at this point I have no time for games except for a quick round of Super Smash Bros and/or the upcoming Mario Kart. Being able to recoup 100 bucks on this system I would never use would be incredible. And even if it's store credit, I've got a friend that buys tons of stuff from EB and would gladly trade me $90 for $100 of store credit.

On one hand, I suppose it shouldn't matter since they can't get it repaired under warranty and won't be sending it to Sony with the $90 fee they charge. On the other, accepting stickerless systems opens the door for people being able to scavenge parts from semi-working systems and selling the broken stuff inside a shell to EB.

I just wish I would have known about this before trying to fix it myself :)

jediwicz 08-04-03 02:32 PM

I basically got F-Zero for 24.00 at EB. They took three crappy games (Lost Kingdoms, Fifa 2002 etc) even trade. I also dumped my PS2 for 100.00 the day the GBA player and Wario World came out. I haven't missed it since.